Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blinking power light fix for DVP642 DVD Player

I've just completed repairing the 642 from the dreaded 'blinking
    power light', which is caused of course by a bad 1000u cap on the PS. This was my first cap replacement, and was successful.

I took some photos while I was replacing the dead
    cap, with some simple instructions in the photos. The photos
    are located in the folder 'Philips DVP642 Repair' in my blog at:

http://360.yahoo.com/mikescottfrank

Unfortunately, yahoo automatically resizes them to about 300x400, so the
    text on the pictures is barely legible.

Of course, you will want to get as many instructions as possible
    from the board. I fixed mine for $1.50 + about 1.5 hours of time.

For those who have this otherwise nice DVD player, lots of info about
    it at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/philips_dvp642/

MODERATOR: If you want the full size photos (1024x768) for your board, email me. There are about 12 pics. Too many large ones to post here.

Re: Blinking power light fix for DVP642 DVD Player

i'd appreciate even one picture of the bad part c316, in the philips dvd player model dvp642. i need to replace someone's failing part, and i have not been able to see the type and physical size of the required replacement part yet. i know that the replacement has to be 1000 microfarads, at minimum 16vdc. what brand-name/manufacturer for the replacement? probably rubycon? how tall and what diameter is the replacement? could someone post one little picture and the location of capacitor 316 in the chassis? thanks.

Comment

Comment

that radioshack cap is not low esr.
        it may work for a while but expect a repeat failure.replace all the caps on the secondary side with low esr types for a lasting repair.

Comment

RadioShack (The Source CC here in Canada) sells generic capacitors. In Canada they sell "REC" capacitors. What brand of capacitor do they sell in the U.S.A. NorthIL? My uncle has a DVP642 DVD player and he does not like the blinking power light. In Canada they do not sell 272-1032 capacitors but they sell 1000uF 50V capacitors. Here is the link. You can see if these are also good.

http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/Pr...roduct=2729014
          My gaming PC:
          AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
          ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
          PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
          G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
          TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
          WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
          ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
          Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
          Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
          Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
          Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

NorthIL, your blog notes the following on the repair list :

-solder pen ( not gun ). Preferably one of those new cordless 'cool touch' type.
            are you talking about cool heat soldering iron? not recommended, as per KC8's advice it sparks and can make 6v across the tip. not good for electronics.
            capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by willawake

are you talking about cool heat soldering iron? not recommended, as per KC8's advice it sparks and can make 6v across the tip. not good for electronics.
              I think someone said on the forums that those cool heat soldering irons killed their motherboard!
              My gaming PC:
              AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
              ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
              PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
              G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
              TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
              WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
              ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
              Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
              Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
              Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
              Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Wow, kc8adu Im glad to told me that. I'll get one and keep it on hand in case of the future failure, and I will update my photos with correct type. What
                exact replacement part # from RS? Same spec. as the source one?

ALUMINUM ELECTROLYTIC, 50V CAPACITORS
                Catalog Number: 2729014

I'll also remove the note about the cold heat solder pen. That's odd. Does the
                manufacturer of cold heat specifically say in their manual NOT to use it on sensitive electronics?

Comment

rs does not have the proper low esr caps.

Comment

digikey catalogue
                    panasonic FC radial - pages 963-965
                    panasonic FM radial - page 966

Comment

Originally posted by willawake

Is there a post somewhere about hte Cold Heat soldering iron? There's a recent discussion on another message board I go to about these, and someone asked why they're bad. I'd like to link them to some information...

HEre's the latest iteration of Cold Heat- http://www.moditory.com/content/view/238/34/1/0/
                      Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

just google for coldheat sparks i am sure you can find something.

Comment

NorthIL,

I am a complete newbie to diagnosing & replacing bad caps.
                          THANK YOU for your concise help and advice - I fixed my DVP642 flashing standbylisght problem in < 20 mins.

A great and helpful post - Massive respect from a happy newbie!

Comment

you might want to contact him direct on his site, i didnt see him pass by here for a while. its always great to receive positive feedback

Comment

This year, under the christmas tree, a small long box, cold solder.
                              Wait, way in back a simmilar box, another cold solder.
                              Last gift, could it be? another cold solder. Everyone thought this would be the coolest present.
                              These are the most useless gimmicks since the "chill wizard", another funny gift.
                              I couldn't solder with this if I used all three of them at the same time, wouldn't that make a good spark?
                              Jim

Comment

Originally posted by NorthIL
                                I've just completed repairing the 642 from the dreaded 'blinking
                                power light', which is caused of course by a bad 1000u cap on the PS. This was my first cap replacement, and was successful.
                                Thanks for the great photos and tips. I did the repair without problems -- all of 20 minutes with a bit of solder and solder wick. How nice to be able to actually replace a faulty part on a piece of modern hardware!

Comment

In NorthIL's pics it mentions he uses a 32V 1000u cap instead of the 16V that was OEM. In my DVP 642 there is a 10V cap...the only ones I could find at The Source were 1000u 50v caps.

Is it safe to use a 50v one? From what I gather, 1000u and MIN 16v is the requirement, so 32/50 are fine to use.

Sound ok?

Comment

I just used the Radio Shack 272-1032 to repair my player. Works great now.

Comment

I used the 1000u 50v cap. It was way bigger than the OEM one, barely fit in the spot. However, it is 100% working again.

Thanks so much for this info. It saved me from having to find a new player.

Comment

The cap I pulled out of my board was 1000uF 10v. I found a site that sells it with low ESR http://www.stsi.com/Merchant2/mercha...TGY/Capacitors
                                        there are 2 different models EEU-FC1A102 and EEU-FC1A102L, does anyone know what the difference is? The only difference I see is that one is .10 cents more.

Comment

Working...
                                        X