Toshiba Plasma TV 42HP95 (or 50HP95)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba Plasma TV 42HP95 (or 50HP95)

I'm onto my next TV repair and I got a real gem in a Toshiba Plasma TV 42HP95...I'll explain as I go on how to get one hell of a 'steal' yourself !
    I'm working on this very typical Toshiba Plasma TV failure which occurs on the units main, or the so-called seine board . The OEM replacement board # 75001605, or repairs are so expensive or elusive these sets have become another Toshiba disgrace and warranty dodge or hussle. The trouble is a component or two fail on this board and the boot sequence defaults to a blinking red led light only failure.
    I have got the TV working easily enough by by-passing the power to the board, but you lose features like the cable card slot,.. but most important you lose the digital tuner, so I get no aerial signal recognition. I can play DVD, VHS, and the PC input works fine...but again no TV stations.
    Has anyone done one of these seine board repairs, not just a board replacement ? I have only a tech tip that the failure involves 'a ceramic capacitor' thereon. I'm removing the board now but am puzzled on how to remove the two inter-board connectors...see my pic...these are one black and one grill-like bridges connecting the left board with the right one. How do I remove these so I can lift out the right pcb seine board ?

Stay tuned for the ongoing repairs..
    Attached Files

Re: Toshiba Plasma TV 42HP95 ...seine board pics to check

I figured those large board jumper/connectors out, basically you need a strong glass to see and study the tiny and fragile plastic locks. I had to remove the upper black one from both sides first, then the left side on the grill-like spring connector leaving it on the seine board. Removing the board from the chassis after that was no treat either...no wonder they charge so much on these sets...a lot of disconnecting to remove one board. Speaking of boards if you were wondering there are no less than 20 on these plasma sets...whoa, give me that cheap Vizio to work on it only had 6 or so !
    Anyway now attached are the top and bottom of my seine (main) board, will you sharp eyes please help me look for damage, any suspects, and which you think are the ceramic capacitors?
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: Toshiba Plasma TV 42HP95 (or 50HP95)

hmmm.. reminds me of this thread
      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13179

and specifically this post:
      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...4&postcount=12

an interesting auction for a repair service for the PD2266C seine board..
      http://cgi.ebay.com/170476624689

A DEFECTIVE DIGITAL SEINE BOARD IS IDENTIFIED BY A STEADY
      BLINKING RED LIGHT ON THE FRONT OF THE TV WHEN YOU
      ATEMPT TO TURN IT ON.

YOU CAN DIAGNOIS AND CONFIRM THIS PROBLEM BY REMOVING
      POWER TO TV AND UN-PLUGGING PJ63 (20VDC SUPPLY) ON THE
      DIGITAL SEINE BOARD. THEN APPLY THE AC POWER TO THE TV
      AND TURN IT ON . IF RED LIGHT STOPS BLINKING AND THE TV TURNS
      ON THEN YOU HAVE VERIFIED THE PROBLEM.
      if you're not deaf by now because of that guy screaming at you with capslock on, you might actually wanna try that..

the auction picture also hints at what the problem is, as it shows a seine board on a solder reflow station, pointing at the main Toshiba chip (!)

Comment

Toshiba TV 42HP95.....> cap ID's on seine board

I'm stumped on some capacitor ID's as are the techs at Digikey and Mouser...do you know how to read these cap ID's, marked thusly...

CHB.

another example is :
        CHK.
        5v7

You can see them both in lower left of 1st pic in my new post # 2.

Comment

Toshiba TV 42HP95.....> cap ID's on seine board

Got it !
          I found the right tech who figured they may be Panasonic and the codes in their catalog are here for aluminum eletrolytic SMD's:

10 > 10uf capacitance
          CHB. > C is pan code for 16V, and HB is their series
          507 > a lot number

100 > 100uf
          CFK. > C is for 16V, and FK is the series
          5v7 . again a lot number

I have 12 SMD caps to replace so stay tuned for my seine board fix report...

Comment

Hey, I too have won one of these fine gems!!! Further I learn that the prick that sold it to me has been inside of it so I doubt I will get much truth from him. I found that the power plug to the seine board has already been disabled and still will not turn on. Hoping now that it is something else since that seems a pricey part.

Do you have a service manual for these? I am not sure where to go now that the typical seine board was by passing and still a no-go.

Comment

Re: Toshiba Plasma TV 42HP95 (or 50HP95)..seine repair

Make sure that only the PJ63 5 pin riser is the one disconnected..(see the very top center, white wires, on right board of my pic at post # 1 ) ....
              I have no repair manual available....but I can tell you this...it will be very difficult, even for the best tech to accomplish a repair without having a lot of sophisticated scanners and a good board to match up...I am attempting such now but don't hold your breath. As a back-up I do know where it can be done locally for about $100 plus tax and return shipping. I would not trust those if any you might find on FeeBay.

Comment

Re: Toshiba Plasma TV 42HP95 (or 50HP95)...got 'er done !

It was a long battle but I finally won the 'seine' war ... I don't think I can explain it other than it took many long hours of careful probing and reading of tiny parts..and in the end was probably luck that I happened to change the right SMD's in my last go around. All I can say again is if you try this fix, is look to the SMD ceramic caps....or send it in.
                Here's a pic of my view now...
                Attached Files

Comment

I too am experiencing the problem of the flashing LED. I disconnected the cable at the PJ63 connector and it temporarily resolved my issue, but I wanted to find out what component had failed on the seine board. After much searching I found this service bulletin about the problem. Seems to report to a bad C611 capacitor.
                  Attached Files

Comment

single C611 cap on repair on Toshiba Plasma TV 42HP95

Trust me this is only a much less common scenario and temporary fix, as there are a whole lot more components needing attention on the board when the common failure occurs.

Comment

Hi, I was wondering if you replaced any other components than the 12 SMD ceramic capacitors you mentioned? Did you replace the C611 cap for good measure? Thanks!

Comment

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if the Seine board controls the component video connections? I disconnected the board using the information about connector JP63A and the flashing red light issue went away and I was able to receive video through the cable box connected to the HDMI port on a 50HPX95. All of the cable connections are correct but, I cannot receive any video through either of the Colorstream (component video) port connections (DVD, game console).

Thanks,

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                          hey all this info on the 42hp95 helped me fix my problem dont use dig tuner anyway , had a repairman fix it under warrenty the first time already got enough money tied up in this product if i couldnt fix it i was gonna scrap it .thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by fastline View Post
                            Hey, I too have won one of these fine gems!!! Further I learn that the prick that sold it to me has been inside of it so I doubt I will get much truth from him. I found that the power plug to the seine board has already been disabled and still will not turn on. Hoping now that it is something else since that seems a pricey part.

Do you have a service manual for these? I am not sure where to go now that the typical seine board was by passing and still a no-go.
                            I have the same problem. Did you ever find out the problem?

Comment

I replaced C611 (per Toshiba bulletin) with an 3mfd electrolytic that I had since there was plenty of room and works fine. First measured across the cap was 4 ohms and after I replaced it it was 15 or more.

Comment

Hello, I am an old man, and cant see very well any more. could you give me a clue were c611 is physically located? is it a electrolytic, or small ceramic?

Comment

Bill.... its been so long since I was in one, all I suggest is you get a younger keen eyed adult and a good led light to look for you on your board as I show in my Post # 2 above...and do both sides also looking for swelled or leaking caps.
                                  -dan

Comment

Look at the bulletin in post #9 It points right at the cap. It is also circled in red.

Comment

Thanks for information . I located it, and seen that it was a bypass cap. i just cut it out with a pair of side cutters, and didn,t replace it. tv is up and working again. bad thing about this is that they did not have a location number near the cap. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                                      X