This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Got two more wonderful units in yesterday, another Raidmax RX-380K, and one creatively named ATX Switching power supply. Both were pulled from machines, the former was a replacement for a dead DELL part, the latter from a generic PC case.

First up is the ATX Switching power supply:

As you can see, no creative expense has been spared with this one. The case is a lovely shade of matte gray, and the label is a very heavenly white. Fitting for a PSU that can deliver "450w" of power!

The creativity doesn't stop with the case though, look at that green +4 pin! Corsair can't top that!
    Cable count:
    1x 20+4 pin
    1x 4 pin
    4x molex
    2x SATA
    1x berg

Even more original thinking is shown on the label, where all the numbers are almost certainly lies.
    Now, a look inside:

Well for once I have something good to say about one of these generic wonders: this one isn't as appallingly terrible as most of the others I've looked at! Not very good, but not bad either. Decent sized heatsinks that reach to the top of the case, and we get a bridge rectifier instead of the 4 diode treatment! Hooray!

Primaries are Canicon, note the lack of input filtering.

Secondaries are Micon, of which there aren't enough of and they're all tiny.

Again, the OEM showing its artistic side with this very shiny fan label. Sure, the model number is useless and there's no company name, but who cares? Shiny!
    Onto the Raidmax RK-380X

More deliciously generic looks here. Can't have all that fancy stuff when you're trying to produce something to a bargain basement price!

Cable shot. Notable inclusion of a 6 pin PCI-E connector on a supposedly 380W PSU. Optimistic much?
    1x 20+4 pin
    1x 4 pin
    3x Molex
    2x SATA
    1x PCI-E 6 pin
    1x berg
    Here's where things get a bit interesting.

You see, I have two of these units, one of which I reviewed a few pages back in this thread. The old one is on the bottom, new on the top. Also notable, both labels are the same lies, except the new one has lies with decimals.

As we move to the back, we see the new one has done away with 2 of the fan screws. 2 fan screws for one PCI-E connector? I'm not so sure. Which reminds me, cable counts for the two units are different as well, with the newer one trading some of the molex connectors for SATA and a PCI-E.

Towards the front of the unit, the vents have also changed. The vents towards the top have been removed, with holes on the bottom instead.
    And guess what? It keeps getting better!

Somehow, they managed to make the newer one out of even worse materials then the old one!

Overall view looks just as skimpy as the old one, but lets take a closer look.

Primaries have gone from HEC to some unbranded thing that's even smaller then the originals. And one of the cans has a dent. Oh joy. Two of the diodes have been reduced in capacity and what was left of the input filter has been eliminated as well.

Secondaries are by ChengX, somehow worse then the grab bag in the other unit. Other changes include smaller heatsinks, and one less transistor on the primary side.

On a more positive note, shiny fan company (SF Co.) has paid yet another visit, this time to the Raidmax factory under the name "fAn". Same model number as the one in the other unit even. Both are crap, but whatever.

Once again the Raidmax RK380X has outdone itself in terms of awfulness, once figuratively (having a lower build quality then a power supply called "ATX Switching power supply" with no model number) and once literally, managing to outsuck a power supply with the same model number, same specs, and made by the same company. I implore anyone considering buying generic to NOT DO IT. Not only is what you're getting probably of poor quality (as demonstrated by the above examples) but you really have no idea what kind of PSU might be in the box!
    EDIT: Grammar.
    EDIT 2: More Grammar.
    Last edited by cheese007; 02-17-2011, 08:34 PM.

Comment

On the generic unit, look at the top left corner of the PCB. Should be a YueLin YLP-013.

Comment

Just found your thread on that unit. Looks like a good candidate for a rebuild in that case. Might be fun.

Comment

EVE ATX-250W

3A bridge rectifier.
          3A rectifier for +12V .
          BYV143-45 rectifier for +5V.
          BYV118-40 for +3.3V.
          2SC4106 primary switchers.

All electrolytics JP CE-TUR series.

330uF 200V primary units.
          470uF 10V before and after +5VSB inductor.
          1000uF 10V before and after +3.3V inductor.
          1000uF 10V before and after +5V inductor.
          1000uF 16V before +12V inductor and 220uF 16V after it .
          220uF 16V at -5V and -12V rails.
          Attached Files
          My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

PCE-TURD, lovely. I just had to re-cap a seasonic full of them. Several of them were bloated.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

After 5 years of faithful service, I've retired my Antec ToiletPaper II-550. Been having problems with TV tuner card crashing and shutting down. Caps were the usual F-you's but none were bulged or leaking.

Replacement (not installed yet) is a Corsair CMPSU-650TX. $88USD at Compusa (or 80 after rebates at Newegg). I needed a new one and didn't want to wait for the Seasonic M-series 520 which was $20 more.

According to the reviews I found, this unit is OEM'd by Seasonic. I'd like the senior members abd guru's to verify by my pics. Sorry about the blurry ones, old 3.2MP camera. All caps are UCC's except for one Rubycon (YXG) and all are 105C! This unit is not a 'golden sample' I went into Compusa and picked it off the shelf.

My only complaint was the ground wire from the power inlet board was never terminated to the case. It wasn't worth the hassle to get it swapped for another one. A spare PC case screw took care of that and I took pics for you while I had it open.
              Attached Files
              Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

Yup, definitely a seasonic. Can't tell you what platform specifically, but it is definitely a seasonic.

Comment

Enlight HPC-300-202 300WP

-Passive PFC
                  -input filter including MOV protection
                  -2x680uF Teapo primary caps
                  -2xSC2625 primary switchers
                  -35 size main transformer
                  -fan controller
                  -30GWJ2C schottky rectifiers (30A) for 5V and 3.3V and YG902C2 (10A) for 12V
                  -each voltage output has a filter coil and 2x2200uF caps @ 3.3V, 2x2200uF @ 5V and 1x1000uF @ 12V
                  -every cap on it is Teapo, except the 4 2200uF ones that are G-Luxon (and guess what, one of them is bulging...)

In my opinion, it's a decent power supply for an old 5V based system.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Unusually beefy for a Deer, but the custom DR0183 controller gives it away. Missing input filtering, otherwise there's hardly anything wrong with it.

5vsb ok, but no power up because 3.3v and 12v rectifiers are shorted. Hey looky... MJE13009 primary switches, genuine Fairchild parts! Maybe Deer is heading towards something better? Well, sorry, but all falls apart when we reach the secondary caps. I now have a good idea why it died.
                    Attached Files
                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Sorry, can't edit. All three output rectifiers tested good on the above PSU. Beats me why they looked shorted in circuit, must've been something else.
                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Another two. First, a Deer DR-240ATX. You've seen this one before, i'm sure. Viva primary caps, lame output rectifiers, Rulycon secondary caps... just the usual. This one still ran (no wonder, since there's a linear reg for the 5vsb) and output voltages were somewhat correct, but due to the failed Rulycons, we had a little ripple.
                        • 200mvpp on 5v
                        • 1.2vpp on 3.3v
                        • 1.5vpp on 12v

That is with just the fan connected. You can imagine what this would do to a computer. Can you say popped capacitors?

Second is a Young Year ATX-50A, from what i found it's 250W. Quite well built for a 250W if that's the case. I actually like the looks of this one, but it's filled with fukyoos in the secondary. Primaries are Teapo. It still runs, 3.3v and 5v are okay, but 12v is at 6.80v. There is about 100mVpp ripple on all rails and this 100mVpp is riding on top of 200mvpp 50Hz ripple. There are burn marks on the primary coupling capacitor, i think that's where the trouble is coming from. What's interesting is that the PS_ON and Power Good wires have reversed colors. Could be an OEM PSU.

The PCB is clean, with SMD resistors on the bottom. This one's worth fixing i guess.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Wrong readings, excuse me. Ripple is <30mV on the Young Year, however 12v regulation... doesn't exist.

Comment

I have a CompUSA 250 watter which was full of bloated Rulycon capacitors. I removed all the Rulycon caps and replaced them with Fuhjyyu pull outs that measured good on the blue esr meter (as a joke). The power supply now works!!! Still a gutless wonder unknown OEM but at least it works.
                            Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                              Another two. First, a Deer DR-240ATX. You've seen this one before, i'm sure.
                              Not this particular one, but I have two older units (1 Deer and 1 L&C) that are very close to it. The Deer has identical primary side and identical cap/inductor configuration for the secondary and also quite a few Viva caps. But the logic circuit configuration looks more like the L&C (KA7500 PWM and ST LM339 quad op-amp).
                              The Deer was made in '99 and the L&C in 2001, so yours must be some intermediate model. The self-oscillating, no-feedback 5vsb circuit with linear regulator is the other thing that gives it away - only vintage Deer's and L&Cs had it.

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                              ... but due to the failed Rulycons, we had a little ripple.
                              • 200mvpp on 5v
                              • 1.2vpp on 3.3v
                              • 1.5vpp on 12v
                              Little? More like huge torrents! I think you will end up with more than just bad caps on your motherboard.

Originally posted by everell
                              Still a gutless wonder unknown OEM but at least it works.
                              It's not unknown. In fact, it's very well known (no the kind of fame you want, though). Ladies and gentlemen, I present you the one and only... POWMAX
                              Last edited by momaka; 04-09-2011, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                It's not unknown. In fact, it's very well known (no the kind of fame you want, though). Ladies and gentlemen, I present you the one and only... POWMAX
                                Right- they go POW, to the MAX!
                                "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                                Originally posted by shango066
                                All style and no substance.
                                Originally posted by smashstuff30
                                guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                                guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

MAXimum POW
                                  okay.. that was lame :P

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                                    MAXimum POW
                                    okay.. that was lame :P
                                    No it wasn't.

You know what's lame? Imagine something the size of an ATX PS. Upon opening it up, a board the size of a laptop adapter is found, along with some steel weights!

I only ever saw pix of this abomination, but forget where...
                                    "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                                    Originally posted by shango066
                                    All style and no substance.
                                    Originally posted by smashstuff30
                                    guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                                    guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Can't be a PowMax........it actually has a fuse!
                                      Attached Files
                                      Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

The POWMAX name jokes never get old .

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                                        I only ever saw pix of this abomination, but forget where...
                                        Probably here:
                                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ight=echo+star

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                          The Deer was made in '99 and the L&C in 2001, so yours must be some intermediate model. The self-oscillating, no-feedback 5vsb circuit with linear regulator is the other thing that gives it away - only vintage Deer's and L&Cs had it.
                                          Vintage Deer? Bwahahaha. Anyway, i'll be using it to fix a better one. Stay tuned, for you're about to see the "full" version Deer! It actually looks respectable... but that didn't save it from blowing up.

Comment

Working...
                                          X