Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sanyo TVs SUCK

Just a reminder: DONT BUY SANYO.

Got a TV in with a bad signal board. TV was still under the 1 year manufacturers warranty. Needed a replacement signal board.

manufacturer DISCONTINUED the board. Before it was even out of warranty! lol.

They had to replace the TV.

Let me re-emphasize: DO NOT BUY SANYO

Re: Sanyo TVs SUCK

Their old stuff was good.

I found a Sanyo CRT in the trash a while back, one of the newer ones. The PCB was actually assembled locally in my city, but the capacitors were garbage.

Sanyo really went down the toilet.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

If the manufacturer has outstanding warranties, they need to keep an adequate stock of spare parts for a particular model until the warranty on all sets of the particular model expires.
      I also remember reading a story about a Whirlpool washing machine which was under warranty and intended for sale in Australia, but no spare parts were available in Australia.
      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by mbates14 View Post
        Just a reminder: DONT BUY SANYO.

Got a TV in with a bad signal board. TV was still under the 1 year manufacturers warranty. Needed a replacement signal board.

manufacturer DISCONTINUED the board. Before it was even out of warranty! lol.

They had to replace the TV.

Let me re-emphasize: DO NOT BUY SANYO
        There are several possible reasons this happens. A common business practice is to calculate the number of spares required to meet warranty requirements, and warehouse that many spare boards. At best that number is an ESTIMATE, and any number of problems can result in a higher than anticipated number of failures under warranty. It is not unusual to order parts for the entire production run at one time.

It could be due to a design error, a manufacturing error, or an unusually high failure rate in a component. If the cause is not readily solveable, (a design error), fixable (a high failure rate in an IC that is no longer manufactured), or it is uneconomical to restart production of the failing board.

What distinguishes between a 'good' company and a 'bad' company is their response. Obviously Sanyo has elected to replace the TVs rather than produce more boards. And this has the result you wasted your time diagnosing the TV. Rather than insulting Sanyo, look at it from the consumers point of view. They discovered that Sanyo honors their warranty.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Sanyo's probably just farmed out junk from China like all of the other once American companies.

These Hong Kong companies buy the right to use the name to dupe the consumer into thinking they're the same quality they were years ago.

It's the same angle that Harbor Freight uses. They use American company names in their tool lines like Chicago Electric, Chicago Pneumatic, and US General, that's no accident.
          Last edited by Krankshaft; 03-17-2011, 07:14 AM.
          Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

just like funai makes magnavox, and other junk now.

Comment

And Funai used to be Japanese...

Now it's just contract-for-whalemart junk. "Magnavox," "Memorex," and any other brands that get 'stolen.'
              "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
              Originally posted by shango066
              All style and no substance.
              Originally posted by smashstuff30
              guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
              guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Samsung makes all sony's screens. Sony just brands them now!

Comment

Ryankam, Incorrect. Samsung makes LCDs and is sold to different makers. Mainboard and power supplies are not included.

Sony buys samsung's LCD and packages it with Sony's mainboards and Sony's power supply. That is the case. I see this way. For some reason, Sony specifically request very particular LCD panels with slightly unique T-CON hence no "Samsung" branded panels just correct Samsung LCD type (like for example: LTN400-P1-L01, nowhere samsung brand). But I can carefully search thorugh and find part number for that LCD but not unique Sony specificed panel.

Cheers, Wizard
                  Last edited by Wizard; 04-11-2011, 04:54 PM.

Comment

I think i will stick with my CRT projection units. they seem to last a long time.

And keeping a spare set of tubes, as i have an early Mitsubishi from 1989 that STILL works. only thing thats ever been done is a cleaning every year, plus a refresh of solder joints. and a convergence tweak one time.

bad thing is, analog convergence = PAIN.

Here is a picture of it I took in 2003 when i was refreshing the solder joints and touching up the convergence.

Picture is still sharp and clear as it was when my dad got it in the mid 90s.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by mbates14; 04-15-2011, 09:06 PM.

Comment

man, i wish the crts in my sega star wars trilogy arcade game looked that nice still!!!!

Its running a 50" toshiba projection display( and sega also used mitsubishi, as well as 3 or 4 other mfgs- whoever was cheapest at time of production i suppose)

When i got it the monitor was dead to the world.
                      It works now after i swapped all the monitor boards from another sega game that used the same toshiba display, but damn man those crts are TOASTED due to showing the same images over and over again for so long.

The next time i get a 42" lcd tv i think im going to mount it in the projections case and call it a day. Id put a plasma in there but it will burn just as bad over time.

Comment

I have a Technika TV from Tesco. 32", £270 new. It is the worst TV i have seen. HORRIBLE display lag, until it eventually heats up. Think it might be caps. Allegedly a Samsung panel, but it looks like Samsung wiped it on their collective arses before sending it to UMC (the real manufacturer) and they seem to fail after 18 months. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard View Post
                          Ryankam, Incorrect. Samsung makes LCDs and is sold to different makers. Mainboard and power supplies are not included.

Sony buys samsung's LCD and packages it with Sony's mainboards and Sony's power supply. That is the case. I see this way. For some reason, Sony specifically request very particular LCD panels with slightly unique T-CON hence no "Samsung" branded panels just correct Samsung LCD type (like for example: LTN400-P1-L01, nowhere samsung brand). But I can carefully search thorugh and find part number for that LCD but not unique Sony specificed panel.

Cheers, Wizard
                          Isn't that what I said. I never said TV's I said Screens!

Comment

Working...
                          X