Smd electrolytic capacitor identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smd electrolytic capacitor identification

I'm working on a LG Ysus board at the moment. Can anyone help me interpret the markings so I can buy replacements.

The first capacitor is written;
    25F

Capacitor meter reading gives this at 31 MF so I'm guessing thats the middle number but whats the operating voltage?

The second is written
    25F

Capacitor meter gives this at 209 MF so I'm guessing thats the middle number but again whats the operating voltage?

Does anybody have a smd electrolytic capacitor supplier?

Re: Smd electrolytic capacitor identification

Might be useful if you posted pictures as all manufacturers use a different coding.

"Does anybody have a smd electrolytic capacitor supplier?"

Might be useful if you updated your profile with the country and mains voltage.

Readers could be in Australia or Croatia but it might be of little help to you where they get there caps?
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

OK. I have updated as you suggested. Attached are 2 photos.

The middle figure is definately the capacitance value in Mf.

If the last figure is the voltage why put F not V?

Any ideas?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Cornboats; 07-27-2012, 11:22 AM.

Comment

That 25f and 16f are not necessarily the voltage rating, but in this case they probably are.

That chip near the capacitors is a 5v linear regulator - it takes in any voltage and outputs 5v.

See

So at its input you have 220uF and probably anything higher or equal with 16v, probably 25v. On the output, there's 100uF and since the IC outputs 5v, any capacitor with rating higher than 5v would work there - they probably used 16v rated cap simply because they used the same capacity/voltage rating cap somewhere else and bought the capacitor in volume..

You can grab a multimeter, put it on DC and put the black probe on that tab and the red probe on the two pins and you'll see the voltages while the board runs. First pin is input, last pin is output.

My guess is that they used capacitors rated for 16v or 25v simply to save money by buying in large volume capacitors of the same kind - it would not save much space on the board to go with capacitors rated for less voltage, those would be just a couple of mm smaller in diameter. These surface mounted capacitors generally use the same standard square pad size under certain diameters.

Replace with low esr capacitors rated for at least 16v (25v if you can't measure the voltages now or don't know what voltages the psu delivers) and you should be fine.
        Last edited by mariushm; 07-27-2012, 12:12 PM.

Comment

If the last figure is the voltage why put F not V?
          There is no common configuration for the information on these caps.
          Whilst the numeric part of the last figure is probably the voltage ( because it is in the "normal" voltage range for caps) the F probably has nothing to do with voltage as some manufacturers tag on the Series after the voltage.

I suppose we should be grateful for anything its well up on blank ceramic caps.
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Many thanks for both of your replies. Its what I suspected but its comforting to know you are both of the same opinion.

Mariushm: Would you know where the 15v supply is derived from on the board? I have a problem with an erratic 15v output on the y-sus which is causing the Zsus ipm to overheat.

Comment

Maybe these V-cap made by Suncap

http://www.sunelec.co.jp/eng/product/product_02.html

http://www.sunelec.co.jp/eng/catalog/catalog01.html

check marking style
              verify CE-FS series

for large capacity
              CE-BS series

Comment

Many thanks for the information. I think your right - There can't be many manufacturers that refer to the Voltage with an "F".

I've printed off technical details and will keep for reference.

Comment

Working...
                X