Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toshiba Satellite L355D...STILL NO VIDEO!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba Satellite L355D...STILL NO VIDEO!!!

Toshiba Laptop L355D. Switched board TWICE, and still NO VIDEO. I'm guessing I got sent a defective one two times.

Everything boots up, lights come up, but nothing on display. NOTHING. Nothing shows up while connected to the VGA port on an external monitor either.

I'm guessing:

-Bad GPU (on both boards)
    -Bad VGA connector (not physically on board, but a cable that runs to it)

Bad inverter/lcd???

Gonna send it back again, I guess..

Re: Toshiba Satellite L355D...STILL NO VIDEO!!!

Anyone???

Comment

Can you hear a windows intro sound ? Hdd activity led ? If yes it means it passes the boot procedure and there is another problem (lcd connector ,cable etc ) . If not , the motherboard is faulty

Comment

Are you push FN and F5 when tested with external monitor ? If primary screen is not connected on motherboard then lapptop self detected external monitor, otherwise it is necessary to press buttons for switch to external lcd.

Comment

Originally posted by pctek View Post
          Can you hear a windows intro sound ? Hdd activity led ? If yes it means it passes the boot procedure and there is another problem (lcd connector ,cable etc ) . If not , the motherboard is faulty
          Good question. I have not heard a windows sound because I don't have a harddrive for it (well, there's nothing on it, it's clean). I should probably check for HD activity. Anyway, nothing shows up when connected to external monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by primoz1 View Post
            Are you push FN and F5 when tested with external monitor ? If primary screen is not connected on motherboard then lapptop self detected external monitor, otherwise it is necessary to press buttons for switch to external lcd.
            yes sir, i pres FN and F5 to toggle between monitors. Nothing happens on external monitor.

Comment

I see now, you get defected board two times 110% Where you buy this ? I got bad experience with IPMART anf TOTOBAY and some sellers from ebay too. If not work on first try, send it back immediately. Just make shure if is memory moduls and processor OK and check if is power voltage stable, must not waste-drop any voltage

Comment

Have you kept any components the same, ie CPU, ram etc? Possibly a bad CPU?

Comment

check if you have a netokin below the proc, replace it with 2x 330uf capacitor.that should work,can you post screen shots on below and bottom of the mobo?near proc.

Comment

This laptop is without nectokin element.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by artois7 View Post
                      Have you kept any components the same, ie CPU, ram etc? Possibly a bad CPU?
                      I switched the ram, but not the CPU.

Comment

is your proc heating up upon booting?

Comment

hmmm it does not. i just sent the board back and should get an exchange.

if this doesn't work i'm not sure what could work

Comment

Try a different cpu.

Comment

Alright, tried it again with a different board = still no video! wtf!!

Skeptical that it's the CPU, or I'm gonna give up on it all together.

Comment

JUST replaced new CPU, and NOTHING. GRRR.

Anyway to test the mobo by itself? When I connect the dvd-drive it spins it and 'reads' it, so I get sounds. There is no HD led activity, only the sound of the hd spinning somewhat (faintly).

Is there a linux distribution that will play a sound upon boot up?
                                I can't see anything on the video, the proc has been replaced (it gets warm), RAM modules switched, etc.

If this is a bad mobo, then I have been fucked three times already.

How do I test the lcd screen by itself to rule that out?

The VGA out on the mobo is also connected/dependent on cable that runs to the casing, so it's not integrated in the mobo (cable). I'm going to replace that too.
                                Last edited by thesloc; 06-14-2012, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thesloc
                                  When I connect the dvd-drive it spins it and 'reads' it, so I get sounds.
                                  That's autonomous behaviour it'll do as long as it gets power, you can disconnect the signal cable and it'll still do that. The same with the HDD spinning.

You can see if the CPU is getting Vcore and check for a clock signal on the FSB. Probe the BIOS's data pin with an oscilloscope and you should see activity as it initially loads the boot code. The same goes for checking for signals on the video out and LCD connector. Even if your scope's bandwidth isn't high enough, just seeing something other than background noise is enough to confirm that things are happening.

The OEM model should be Inventec PS10AP. Schematic:
                                  http://lqv77.com/download/652/

Don't blindly replace trivial parts like cables without testing for continuity first.

Comment

Someone at technibble has the SAME problem (he swapped out pretty much every part)

http://www.technibble.com/forums/sho...ighlight=l355d

IS THIS REAL LIFE??

Comment

i can help you - give your laptop part number .

Comment

I had all the symptoms described and had been searching forever for a solution. I tried pulling everything out one by one to see if any external parts were the issue, then it came down to the motherboard. I was so frustrated, I wanted to throw it all out the window. Then I remembered an old trick of baking graphics cards in an oven to re flow loose not very concrete solder joints. Granted I wasn't about to stick a motherboard in my oven. So Picked up a heat-gun off eBay with an adjustable temp and wide nozzle set it at 480 and low enough pressure not move anything out of place and evenly heat up the board on one side. Left the processor in socket and the heat sink still on. You want to be careful not to bump it or even move the board a little bit because parts are so small they can easily be displaced. After a good 15 mins I could see the solder liquefy a tad and let the board cool off for a good 4 hours at-least to be safe. Flipped the board over and did the same thing on the other side after it was cool. To my amazement the laptop fired right up after I left it overnight too cool. The screen on an everything like the day I bought it. I hope this helps someone.

Comment

Working...
                                        X