X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The ghetto mod thread

Originally posted by stj View Post
    you can buy those switches dirt cheap - you did not need to bodge it!
    Needed my meter and it's my only one.
    My pc
    CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
    MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
    RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
    PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
    GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

I made this many years ago.
      This ups is over 10years but it's a good one, not so powerful but enough for my business. It came with a 4,5Ah battery that is cost/energy expensive. The standard nowadays is 7,2 or 9Ah, one or more in series, cost/energy cheaper and easier to find.
      So i cut the metal chassis and fitted a 7,2 one easily. I filed the cuts so they're not sharp and there's not way the battery poles could touch the chassis.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by joshnz View Post
        Faulty power switch fixed lol.
        No longer cat rated.
        Nice!

Originally posted by stj View Post
        you can buy those switches dirt cheap - you did not need to bodge it!
        Sometimes, though, you just need something to work on the spot at that moment. So going to the store to get a new switch may not be an option - not in the short term anyways. And if you're buying stuff from AliExpress/eBay overseas - forget it. It will take only forever to get your parts.

So you end up with a ghetto fix like my scissors in the previous page - shitty, but it works. Still have it on my bench and still use it. The hot glue started to give out a little, so I hit it with my heat gun for about 20-30 seconds. It re-melted and is all good again.

Originally posted by Dumah Brazorf View Post
        So i cut the metal chassis and fitted a 7,2 one easily.
        If you get another UPS like that to fix, try hooking up a car battery next time. You will get much much longer run times. Not to mention the fact that you will also have a spare car battery if the one in your car goes weak or needs a jump-start.
        Last edited by momaka; 08-13-2016, 02:56 PM.

Comment

cheaper too.

Comment

Promise TX2000 controller I bought some time ago, damaged

Seller had ripped surface-mounted capacitor somewhat off the board

First pic is seller's ad, second my repair, wire bending & soldering to span the missing negative trace
            Attached Files
            Last edited by pfrcom; 08-15-2016, 09:13 PM.
            better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Nice work , too professional to be called 'ghetto' in my opinion, though!
              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
              -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                yeah, but these fakeRAID cards are ghetto to begin with...
                Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                  yeah, but these fakeRAID cards are ghetto to begin with...
                  "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                  -David VanHorn

Comment

+infinity
                    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Perhaps my second entry here will be ghetto enough

I acquired a Gigabyte GA-7BESH-RH dual LGA771 motherboard with a single Xeon 5140

Xeon 5140 are cheap, so I bought a second to see if it fixes issue of only half memory being recognised, but then wondered how I was going to cool it

771 coolers are scarcer than proverbial in Australia, and exchange rate coupled with shipping makes sourcing from USA prohibitive

So I decided to use Socket478 HSF(s) held by ubiquitous cable ties

I haven't got second Xeon 5140 yet - here's original, only 65W TDP and this cools it well
                      Attached Files
                      better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

That old HP laptop with the "repaired" fan also had a damaged touchpad cable. Instead of spending $3.90 on a new cable, I soldered it down. This mess actually works.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by lti; 01-07-2017, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Ha! Nice.
                          -David VanHorn

Comment

Solder blobs solve(fix) everything!

Unfortunately, the traces on this crappy Vestel PCB are falling down, even if you only look at them.

To buy new light bulbs for the instrument cluster? NEVER! I have enough LED-s from lighters with flashlight.
                            I was just pissed off, when I found out that half the previous owner was imbecile that torn the traces of the ribbon probably when is was trying to replace the bulbs. The ribbon was damaged beyong repair, but because everything else was functional, I just connected the ribbon, filling the missing pieces with the legs of the resistors and connected the LED-s via 1K resistors. LED-s that work with proper voltages have much longer life than the crappy bulbs made in china and sold everywhere.

BOSS, do we really need all the crews we lost already to fix this poorguy's laptop?

What we cannot fix with solder blobs, we will fix with brackets.
                            Though, the tip of the screwdriver is very, very strong. I cracked the handle by forcing it, but still not found a way to break the tip.
                            Last edited by televizora; 01-07-2017, 07:05 PM.
                            Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                            1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Speaking of speakers, I have a speaker whose tinsel wires broke. I don't think this speaker is economically repairable (as it's only a 5.25" paper) but has anyone tried replacing/splicing tinsel wire?

Comment

i know what may work!
                                http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261342199875

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                                  That old HP laptop with the "repaired" fan also had a damaged touchpad cable. Instead of spending $3.90 on a new cable, I soldered it down. This mess actually works.
                                  Awesome!

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                                  Speaking of speakers, I have a speaker whose tinsel wires broke. I don't think this speaker is economically repairable (as it's only a 5.25" paper) but has anyone tried replacing/splicing tinsel wire?
                                  You can splice it. Or solder it back together with some copper wire. Or, unless the speakers are moving to full excursion 24/7, you can also fully replace it with regular wire.
                                  Feel adventurous? You can use a ribbon cable too.

Originally posted by televizora View Post
                                  To buy new light bulbs for the instrument cluster? NEVER! I have enough LED-s from lighters with flashlight.

... filling the missing pieces with the legs of the resistors and connected the LED-s via 1K resistors. LED-s that work with proper voltages have much longer life than the crappy bulbs made in china and sold everywhere.
                                  Nice!
                                  Also good to hear you used 1 KOhm resistors. Like you said, LEDs driven with proper voltage (and current) will last a very long time.

On that note, if anyone ever buys cheap LED light strips on 3M tape and they have 150 Ohm resistors, DON'T use them with 12V, like they say they are rated for. At 12V, those 150 Ohm resistors don't provide enough voltage drop, and so the LEDs end up being over-driven. I have seen enough of those LED strips dead to safely say that they shouldn't be connected to anything more than about 9.5 Volts (or at least for the ones with WHITE LEDs).

What we cannot fix with solder blobs, we will fix with brackets.
                                  O.o fancy! Haha
                                  I'm too cheap for those brackets, so I often use steel/copper wire instead.

Though, the tip of the screwdriver is very, very strong. I cracked the handle by forcing it, but still not found a way to break the tip.
                                  Well, I had a tough screw driver, but I finally managed to break the tip a few weeks ago. It is a small flat heat screwdriver that I got from my dad a very long time ago when I was a kid. He actually got it with a set of nice steel compass set. Good quality German stuff from back in the day, if I remember. Anyways, even though that screw driver has a thin plastic hollow handle, I've never been able to snap the handle. But after nearly 20 years of use and abuse in my hands, I finally cracked the tip, as I said. Felt really sad for it. Then I took out my dremmel tool, and after a few minutes of work, I re-grinded the tip again. So it looks like new again. Gotta love high quality German steel!

Comment

Here's something a little different - the toaster died over Christmas (the main switch fell to bits) and I had to replace it with a dissimilar one.

The actuator was all wrong (had to snap it off and replace with a screwed-on piece of hairclip) and I had to make a mounting plate to bolt it onto the chassis as the holes were misaligned, and also it would have meant 240v input wires shorted directly to the chassis.

I had to crimp and solder the heater leads to some spade terminals.

It works!
                                    Attached Files
                                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                                      Yep
                                      Did something similar with my Hyundai W241D and some SMD caps where I soldered some polymer through hole caps (big ass 470uF/16V ones) instead...

Doesn't look that great but works very well.

Using SMD caps can be a pain sometimes...
                                      Especially if you don't have good Irons...
                                      Last edited by Stefan Payne; 01-15-2017, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Boobie trap.
                                        Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                                        1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                                          yes i have many times repaired them ..
                                          replacing with solder wick is best way .

Comment

Working...
                                          X