emachine T2865 w/au31

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

emachine T2865 w/au31

Thanks to this board and the windowsbbs - who provided the link here and had good things to say - I was able to pin down the problem w/hubby's computer!
    I've ordered a replacement mobo from emachines/pcoutlet and called the 1-800 number as instructed in red on their website - thought it might help somebody else to have the following info: the replacement mobo ships with a new power supply! They confirmed that the factory PS was, indeed, the dreaded Bestec (250W) that has gained ill fame according to this board. It, according to the tech, is actually the culprit in the frying of the caps near the CPU.
    Not being a techie, I was just really happy, and a tad proud, too, to figure this problem out - hadn't looked inside a computer in years. It was quite a hunt and I've learned more in the past 3-4 days than in a long time.

THANK YOU!

Re: emachine T2865 w/au31

I would say that you are well on your way to being an official "techie"! Congrats!

Comment

Do you mean the Emachine had a FIC AU31 board? That's the same board that's in my spare (homebuilt) system... Maybe I should check the caps, since that system has a cheap power supply too, and it's been acting funny lately.

Comment

Space - thanks for the congrats, but please don't tell anyone..... I "hate" working on computers but have been declared the queen by hubby. I don't need a reputation "out there"

Maxx - I believe that's the one although I don't see the FIC part of the name anywhere. Have not run across reference to any other au31, though, during my troubleshooting, so I'd say it's likely the same one.
        I just received the replacement au31 with the "free" new PSU a few minutes ago. Included is a big, bold notice that any exchange or warranty is voided if this new mobo is used with the old (Bestec) PSU because it WILL fry the mobo! - So, yes, if you have one of the "notorious" PSU's, it should probably be replaced. BTW, mine originally came with 250W, the new (replacement) one is 300W.
        In addition to the PSU issue. the caps that fried on my original mobo were Nichicon HM - which, I've found out here, also had some issues (as did the HN) during 2002-03 manufacture dates. Checking the new mobo that just arrived, I noticed that those caps are now different. Don't know just what they are 'cause my magnifying glass was not handy....
        HTH - I'm off to tackle the beast!

Cecilia.

Comment

The beast has been conquered! The T2865 is back up and running and I have a happy hubby, again. Without the info from badcaps.net and particularly the forum, I would probably still be twiddling my thumbs.
          THANKS AGAIN!
          In case somebody else needs the PDF manual for the au31, I found a link to it at www.lurkhere.com - here's the direct link:

Cecilia.

Comment

I think it's too late Cecilia, if your husband has declared you a queen of the pc world, the cat's out of the bag. However, your reputation is safe with us!

Comment

Yep the au31 is a FIC mainboard. I posted some links a long time ago regarding the emachine upgraders forum, there is a huge database for a lot of emachines and mainboards used.
              Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Wow.... you have saved me hours of googling and countless phone calls......... thank you soooo much

Comment

Working...
                X