ASUS G50V - Fried? Yeah, probably.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASUS G50V - Fried? Yeah, probably.

Alright, so I have a G50V a friend gave me because it 'died.' This thing has been through some...interesting work from what I can tell. Here's the story as I understand it:
    • Friend bought laptop.
    • After a few months, laptop started to heat up and slow down during gaming (frequent issue)
    • Friend brought unit to 'buddy who fixes computers'.
    • 'Friend' removes thermal spacers from GPU RAM, applies generic ceramic paste (EVERYWHERE...)
    • Unit overheats even more, so 'Friend' bends heatsink with pliars. Gives unit back to my friend.
    • My friend uses unit for a few weeks, then bzzt, during some web browsing, unit powers down. Will not power on.
    • Friend notices that green light on power adapter goes off when plugging it into unit.
    • Friend buys aftermarket power adapter, plugs in.
    • Adapter stays on, but upon hitting the power button...it smells of burning in the house.
    • I now have this unit, with the aftermarket and original power adapter.

I removed the motherboard, and found: http://imgur.com/xwciD.jpg
    I cannot even hope to figure out what was printed on it.

Then on the GPU board, I found burn marks...and what appeared to be a solder ball coming out of one of the components: http://imgur.com/XFdRr.jpg
    Printed on top is:
    (unknown)DC(triangle)
    W83A

Those are the only two things I could verify visually. I apologize for the quality of those photos. I'll try to get better ones tomorrow when I have more time for the sun. =/

Does anyone have any idea as to what could have happened? Do you think identifying and replacing these items would fix the issue or at least aid in figuring out what it could be?

I dare not plug this back in.

http://imgur.com/RGaP1.jpg
    http://imgur.com/XFdRr.jpg

http://imgur.com/fAnZm.jpg
    http://imgur.com/xwciD.jpg
    Last edited by Flababa; 11-01-2010, 08:13 PM.

Re: ASUS G50V - Fried? Yeah, probably.

Regarding the video card... It's some MXM module, MXM II or MXM III, so this part is replaceable if you manage to fix the laptop. It says G96 on the back which indicates that it's a later revision than the defective nVidia GPUs that plagued the market. I believe the laptop is Intel chipset and not nVidia MCP, just GPU, so this thing might be worth fixing.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I wouldnt trust that computer fixing friend to fix a rock.

Comment

Originally posted by Flababa View Post
        • Friend notices that green light on power adapter goes off when plugging it into unit.
        • Friend buys aftermarket power adapter, plugs in.
        • Adapter stays on, but upon hitting the power button...it smells of burning in the house.
        • I now have this unit, with the aftermarket and original power adapter.
        That to me says either the aftermarket power adapter has the overload protection set too high or it's one of those cheap China-specials that doesn't have any protections. If you need to do more testing in the future, use the original one only (not that you should at this point - those burned components probably need to be fixed first).

As for the completely burned component in the first picture, it looks like a Mosfet (but that's about all I can tell you). Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will chime in.

Comment

Yes it's a MOSFET. The TPC8107 above it is a P-channel device. It obviously has one common pin (well, technically four, but they go to the same place internally) with the blown device so there are only two possible scenarios.

Check for continuity between the top pins of the TPC8107 and the bottom of the blown one. If there is continuity then the two were in parallel and it's another TPC8107, if there isn't, it's a N channel device (complementary). I believe it's a N channel though - if they were in parallel they would have both exploded. Once you confirm it's a N channel i'll look for suitable replacements. Please also state your location so i can choose a supplier that ships to you (for example, Digikey is very popular in the US, Farnell is more popular in Europe).
          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Thanks for the information. I'll test that out the next chance I get.

My main question is: Why did this happen? Any guesses? A simple bad component? Do you think the video board having a burned component as well is a coincidence?

Comment

I suspect that mosfet shorted out - possibly due to the thermal paste or something else, who knows.
              The original charger, turned itself off when it detected a short - as it should.
              The aftermarket, sounded like it just shoved power in with no concern to anything else, so the mosfet blew up.

Blowing up mosfets is useful, to find out which one is shorted, but not practical or recommended in any way, shape, or form. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                Yes it's a MOSFET. The TPC8107 above it is a P-channel device. It obviously has one common pin (well, technically four, but they go to the same place internally) with the blown device so there are only two possible scenarios.

Check for continuity between the top pins of the TPC8107 and the bottom of the blown one. If there is continuity then the two were in parallel and it's another TPC8107, if there isn't, it's a N channel device (complementary). I believe it's a N channel though - if they were in parallel they would have both exploded. Once you confirm it's a N channel i'll look for suitable replacements. Please also state your location so i can choose a supplier that ships to you (for example, Digikey is very popular in the US, Farnell is more popular in Europe).
                You were correct- No continuity. I'm on the east coast of the US. Hopefully that's specific enough.

I'd appreciate you're help in looking for these replacements. I'm also trying to find parts for my monitor, but can't find a place on my own that lets me buy in quantities < 100.

I'll need to replace the burned part on the GPU as well. Originally this unit was having overheating issues with the GPU. Hopefully replacing these two parts will help out. haha

Thanks!

Comment

Order a new gpu. If its an nvidia, dont bother trying to fix it. Its fried.

Try to fix the mosfet, if the computer boots (even with no video), then buy a whole new gpu board for it.

Comment

If the chip is actually burned, then yea it needs replacing. But his generation of nVidia shouldn't have any inherent manufacturing defects.
                    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Digikey lets you buy in quantities of 1. Here's one that fits the application perfectly: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...RF7832PBFCT-ND

I'd grab three to be sure, but it should work first time if there's nothing else wrong with the board. Use the original power brick so that it shuts down instead of blowing it up again if the board has other issues.
                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

I'm really very new to all this, so I was wondering if maybe you could explain how I would identify those parts for the future for me? A guide would be great too, if you'd rather I just read about it. I don't really know where to start.

Right now I'm just testing what I'm told, and replacing parts I'm given. I'd like to actually learn more.

IE: The GPU seems to be fine except for the one component with burned pins. I'd like to replace it to see if that will fix the problem. I can see the writing and everything, but don't know what any of it means. Attached are a few of the better photos. The component on the right is the one with burnt pins.

http://imgur.com/3pbMn.jpg
                        http://imgur.com/iGT5k.jpg

Weather has been kinda crappy lately, and all the lighting sources in my apartment are terrible. Best I can do right now. =/

Thanks!

Comment

That burned part is a Maxim MAX4392 operational amplifier (opamp): http://www.maxim-ic.com/datasheet/index.mvp/id/3285 And it too is available on Digikey for $2. http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...92EUA%2BTCT-ND I'm a bit busy now but i promise to explain how i found it so fast when i get back.

Comment

Ordered. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Comment

The legible burned part is a Vishay Siliconix Si4392 8-SOIC MOSFET. The other one is a Si4336. Search google images for Siliconix to see what the brand logo looks like. As I scan boards I see at least 3 variations of the Siliconix logo. An op-amp won't work and may not fit since the Max4392 is a 8-MSOP.

As for the destroyed 8-SOIC chip, look around the board to see if the TPC8107 is used somewhere else and see what it is paired with.
                              sig files are for morons

Comment

Originally posted by severach View Post
                                The legible burned part is a Vishay Siliconix Si4392 8-SOIC MOSFET.
                                Now that you mention it, yes it is. There's that coil next to it giving it away.

@ OP: I was wrong and IT IS NOT A MAX4392. As soon as i saw that it's for video i definitely thought i got it right. Sorry about the confusion. You can try installing one of the IRF7832s you ordered, but do it just for testing as the IRF7832 has higher internal resistance so it'll run hotter.
                                Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 11-07-2010, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Aha, alright then. Thanks for the additional information.

I'll double check to see if the TCP8107 is used/paired some time tomorrow, then post my results.

Once that's cleared up, I'll place a new order for the parts. (i get giddy when ordering new parts. dunno why. :x)

Thanks!

Comment

Alright, finally checked for that part, and took photos. (last few days been busy)

From what I can tell, there is only one other instance of a TPC8107. Below is a photo I took showing where on the board it is located, and the few components immediately around it.

Thanks for all your help so far!

http://imgur.com/4ETkf.jpg
                                    http://imgur.com/9wQ3x.jpg

Please ignore the numbering. I was going to edit a few photos with more closeups, but ran out of time. Maybe later. ;x

Comment

I replaced a screen on a G50V today. I disassembled the laptop to enumerate the semiconductors. The components are not labeled so I had to improvise from the few things that are labeled. Sometimes I get left and right reversed. A couple of tiny BGA chips were skipped. The orientation of nearby chips is often reversed. Look closely at the silkscreen to see which way the chips go.

G50V MAIN BOARD P/N 08G2A05GV20J REV: 2.0
                                      Bottom side power jack away from viewer:
                                      Below power jack: 8/TPC8107 right to 24/24HST1041A-3LF
                                      Above JP8604: 8/TPC8107
                                      Below JP8600: 64/ICS 7340361 0728 9LPR364BGLF
                                      Above CPU bracket left side: 8/Si4430B
                                      Left of H6525: 8/Si4685 down to 8/Si4430B
                                      Right of H6525: 8/TPC8107 right down to 8/Si4430B
                                      Left of H6514: 8/Si4413B right to 8/Si4800B
                                      Below JP8103: 8/Si4800B right to 8/Si4800B down right to 8/Si4800B right to 8/Si4800B down left to 8/Si4800B down left to 8/Si4800B up left to 30/PS51020
                                      Below JP8302: 28/Maxim 8632E TI811 +ITRZ
                                      Below CPU bracket: 8/K182 G780
                                      Left of I6501: fortemedia 48/FM2010-NE 7K10C.00 801JC left across hole to 20/1A2 J0E1
                                      Below I6501: 20/GMT K182 G1431 left to 48/Realtek ALC663
                                      Right of Cardbus: 128/ITE IT8512E down to Winbond FLASH
                                      Right of Cardbus: 8/Si4914 right to Si4800B right to Si4894B up to Winbond EEPROM
                                      Below Cardbus: Winbond 351YG 821QARB

Top side:
                                      Left of JP8602: Si4800B left to Si4800B
                                      Left of H5302: Si4686 down to Si4430B
                                      Above CPU: Si4430B
                                      Above JP8005: Si4430B left to Si4686 left to ISL6260
                                      Near modem: Realtek RTL8111C
                                      Left of RAM slots: IRP742H left to IRP631H
                                      Left of JRST1: Ricoh R5C833
                                      Left of H6403: ISL6227CAZ

GeForce 9700M edge connector towards viewer:
                                      GPU side:
                                      Left of 27Mhz crystal: AT24C16B7 EEPROM
                                      Upper left: Maxim MAX8770GTL right to Si4336
                                      Upper right: Si4392 down right to Si4336
                                      Flip side:
                                      Upper Left: Maxim 8632E TI809 +UTRY
                                      Top: Si4392 right to Si4336 right to Si4336
                                      Upper right: Si4336 right to Si4392
                                      Lower right: 8/CM8562G1
                                      sig files are for morons

Comment

Awesome- Thanks for the information. Gave me exactly what I needed.

Though, now that I'm looking around- I can't even find the parts. They're either no-stock, or you have to order 800+ of them.

Is there anywhere I can look aside from digi-key / mouser?

Specifically: Si4392 and TPC8107

Apparently they're EOL. =/ eBay has them, but at a cost of ~$15 each. That's a lot for a repair -attempt-, when I may need more than one of each.
                                        Last edited by Flababa; 11-18-2010, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X