Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sun automotive test equipment (DGA-1000)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sun automotive test equipment (DGA-1000)

im not sure where i should start this post as this is a unusual and unique item. it is a tester for tail pipe emissions this machine is old but i love it and it worked fine right up till it died on me.

i orginally started a thread because the power supply seems to be defective. https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15397 there are lots of pictures now of colored wires and voltages that have been fit in. i have worked through retro fitting a newer power supply into place and it is still dead. thank you to everyone who helped me in that thread and now is following here.

i have 3 boards in this and from what i can tell it has very few digital circuits. the "first" seems to be a controller board and it has only +12v and ground going to it.

the second seems to be the logic board. this is where i have a plug with 5v, +-12v and ground.

and the third is the big heavy CRT screen

the symptoms now are when i apply the 110v power to the CRT screen it flickers for a second and then nothing. i have tried hooking up a regular monitor to the VGA plug and no image.

my question is about the first main board. there is a LED light glowing as soon as i apply the 12v power to that board. it glows brightly then dims but it stays on. i have seen this before in car audio stuff where they are a protection circuit that activates when something else shorts out. im hoping this applies to my problem with this thing.

im going to try and contact snap-on/Sun but im not expecting much in the way or diagrams for a 20 year old machine. they have been less then helpful in the past. so im hoping a bit of advice from this community can keep this machine alive
    Attached Files
    Last edited by scampo77; 08-21-2011, 08:15 PM.

Re: Sun automotive test equipment (DGA-1000)

the second logic board......
    Attached Files

Comment

and the tv part.....
      Attached Files

Comment

Monitor might not be VGA.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

A quick search didn't turn up a service manual for this.
          You might try a long search.
          There is some sort of CMOS battery there. Make sure it's good.
          I see crap caps in the monitor section. Check 'em.
          Then start following the power to where is goes looking for problems.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
            Monitor might not be VGA.
            It should be, I see an ADV476 VGA RAMDAC and HD6845 CRT controller next to it.

Find the main CPU (it's one of the large packages, post the part numbers on them if you can't identify which one) and scope its reset signal to see if it's getting clocked and coming out of reset properly.

You can test the monitor with a PC, if you have a standard VGA-only video card (640x480) - any higher resolutions might damage it as it was not designed for higher.

Comment

Working...
            X