http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...#post302484137

Well done ASUS.

Re: ASUS P5GDC-V DELUXE - Very recent board, bad caps

That's why I build with Abit and MSI MB's (:
    The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

Better picture:

The caps are OST brand 680µf 4V. All ten caps of this type are bulging and oozing the brown stuff from the vents. The board was purchased from Newegg in November 2004.

Attached Files
      Last edited by willawake; 09-02-2005, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Asus was one brand that the caps plague didn't hit all that hard........ Its really sad to see this, especially at this point in the game. Shame on Asus.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

I received my replacement board today. It's a newer revision of the same model and the affected caps are all a different brand.

I'm glad they corrected their error, but it would've saved me a lot of hassle if they had used good caps from the very beginning...

Comment

What brand are the caps on the new board?
            The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

my housemate had the same asus MB, and problem!
              my pics look nearly exactly the same, so I won't post them.
              it all started about about mid summer early this year (Aussie)
              system would occasionally crash, bsod etc.
              went through all the usual sypmtoms, eventually saw the
              caps leaking. He put up with it by adding extra cooling, but that
              was only good for a while, then when the heat came back on this
              summer, prob back. so I found a suitable repalcement in farnell
              and went onto the job of replacing.
              I had forgotton about the stackcool layer on MB (essentially just another
              piece of PCB attached at critical points to the MB) but it acts like a
              big heatsink, and took about an hour to remove (without damage)
              by careful use of desolder wick. I was then able to attack the caps in
              the normal manner. Just using the standard technique with the stackcool in
              place was not possible (too much heat needed and still not melting solder closest to topside).
              The caps I used were SANYO 6SP680M (not stocked by farnell anymore).
              The end result was board worked again, and all instablity gone
              he can actually now OC the board and stay stable.
              Andrew

Comment

Thank you for this site!!! MY P5GDC-V looks exactly like that. All of those caps are oozing. The thing is with this board, its hard to see those with the heatsink fan on. I didnt even think to check under there until I saw this thread. The on-board video stopped working about a month ago. I bought this board less than a year ago, where is the best place to try and get a replacement? Straight from ASUS?

This is a really pretty pathetic problem. On such a new motherboard!

Comment

pics?
                  capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Here is a picture of my P5GDC-V. These motherboards have a 3 year warranty, so I called the place I bought it from and they are RMA'ing it.

I guess I was lucky the board still worked, except for the onboard video. I could not use the onboard video at a higher res that 800x600, and the picture had bad interference lines running through it. Kind of like an old tv with an antenna. Also, it would randomly reboot when using the onboard video. Switching to external video card worked, but I didnt buy this motherboard to throw away a video card!!!

Purchased December 2004. All 10 caps show signs of bulging or brown gunk. One has it coming out the bottom. I also found a pile of brown stuff sitting on the pci-x connector. The caps appear to be the same brand and type as thatdog's.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by hokieengineer; 11-30-2005, 12:07 PM.

Comment

thanks for the pic. it is always interesting to see how the new boards are doing. (considering that many people still believe the badcap situation is something from the past)

i am hoping you have the same luck as the previous poster thatdog and get a new board without the ost caps. please let us know what happens

Comment

I've had a P5GDC (but not a P5GDC-V Deluxe) for a couple of months, and I could not see any bad capacitors (they appeared to be ones of my first choice in quality electrolytics). If this is true, some manufacturers are selling deluxe boards at almost the same price, but with some cost-cutting in the quality of the electrolytics.
                        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by thatdog
                          Better picture:

The caps are OST brand 680µf 4V. All ten caps of this type are bulging and oozing the brown stuff from the vents. The board was purchased from Newegg in November 2004.

But wait! I see something different about these OST caps. They're less than 1000 uF! But are 4V! Most motherboards don't have such cap values, AFAIK.

Makes me think that could be the cause. Thus it's possible that Asus didn't use the right cap value! The caps likely are getting overloaded because of the microfarad rating! Also, unlike many of the OST caps, these have a bright blue wrapper! The OST caps on my Asus A7V8X-X next to the processor socket have a dark blue wrapper. And they're probably 3300 uF.
                          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 12-12-2005, 06:21 PM.
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP
                            But wait! I see something different about these OST caps. They're less than 1000 uF! But are 4V! Most motherboards don't have such cap values, AFAIK.

Makes me think that could be the cause. Thus it's possible that Asus didn't use the right cap value! The caps likely are getting overloaded because of the microfarad rating! Also, unlike many of the OST caps, these have a bright blue wrapper! The OST caps on my Asus A7V8X-X next to the processor socket have a dark blue wrapper. And they're probably 3300 uF.
                            Only 6800 uF total, and most likely not all together. The 4V rating means that everything (CPU, memory, AGP, etc.) is being regulated off the 3.3V supply. Recapping with 1000 uF, 10V caps would give almost 50% more capacitance in each location, provide better voltage transient capability, and would probably actually reduce peak load on the power supply.

Comment

> I see something different about these OST caps. They're less than 1000 uF! But are 4V! Most motherboards don't have such cap values, AFAIK.

Normally, the low voltage, low capacitance caps in the CPU/VRM section are Solid-Polymer-Aluminium (SPA) caps, typically from Fujitsu. These are the small yellow caps with a K-vent on many Intel motherboards.

It's possible that Asus cheaped out and went for a less expensive, conventional Al electrolytic from OST, and those can't handle the high ripple currents that the SPAs are designed for. Hence the blow-outs.

Comment

Originally posted by AK0R
                                The 4V rating means that everything (CPU, memory, AGP, etc.) is being regulated off the 3.3V supply.
                                Maybe it should be it isn't? Newer P4 boards runs CPU regulator always off 12V (that's why the additional power connector with two 12V and two GND wires is there). Maybe the caps shoule be rated 16V?

Comment

if the voltage those caps filter exceed 4v you wont care about the caps.
                                  the cpu will be dead long before the caps fail.
                                  they filter cpu vcore.

Comment

Most probably the caps are located after the VRM's so the input side on the VRM sees 12v but the output only CPU vcore, i.e. around 1,5v... So the 4v caps should be more than enough... A test with a multimeter would be easy enough to verify this...
                                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Sorry, I was thinking the caps were filtering the input voltage.

Per's right, the caps should be filtering whatever is coming out of the VRMs, for all their various functions. I think linuxguru hit the nail on the head; a total misapplication of required function, trying to save a few cents per board.

Comment

more of the same on pcper
                                        http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=408460

Comment

Working...
                                        X