sony 46" lcd- KDL-46S4100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sony 46" lcd- KDL-46S4100

Starting a thread on this. Just picked up tonight.

former owner says it has a grey screen when powered up....leave on for a few mins, then if the power is cycled it will come up fine a and stay on...

im hoping caps but who knows..

will update and take pics if im able to fix it.

Re: sony 46" lcd- KDL-46S4100

I have a kdl sony grey screen. Having trouble with t-con board and seems like a problem with all the kdl series lcd tvs. I am just getting into these and you can`t find the boards, (t-con at top of panel), used and new are a couple hundred bucks.

I have had only two of these so far. The other symptom I have seen is vertical lines across the whole screen then went grey(sony).

Again...still learning these. I am starting to get more lcd and less plasmas.

Remember, common failure board will not be on ebay!

Comment

grrrreeat...

yeah after looking at the power supply im sad. Theyre mostly nichicon caps and look good.. bummer.

going to take a pic so you all can see what im seeing.

Comment

my 12 is a little low at 11.6.......

all other test points on the ps check dead on or slightly high..

Comment

stupid question..

is the tcon board the same as the lcd controller board?

found a couple new ones cheap...

the guy wasnt lying, after bieng on for awhile, and cycling power, it it up and running, however the right side of the screen is very lazy and slow to respond, the further left you go the better it works..
          the further right, the lazier it is

if that sounds like a tcon board, ill pull the trigger as like i said i found aa couple form sellers with good feedback for cheap, supposedly new.
          Last edited by cadillacman; 02-23-2011, 10:43 PM.

Comment

man i have ocd when it comes to tinkering with stuff..

heres a video..

from what limited knowleedge i have, i think tcon board.

is my logic proper? if it was a main board, the issue would shrink as i selected normal vs wide correct?

the issue seems to stay with the lcd, not with the picture if that makes sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukS65aKQfUI

Comment

just read up, i suess these sets have tab bonding issues as well?

this will be my first and last sony tv repair lol

Comment

sounds like tcon or panel.
                maybe even LDO(s) for the panel voltage (on the mainboard)

and BTW: edit time limit is 30mins.. no need for quintuple or sextuple (i actually had to look that up.. i only knew up to quadruple lol) posts

Comment

unfortunately there is, because every time i go to edit its been too long! I wish we could just edit whenever, my posts would sure be alot cleaner.

Sorry guys but i want to get this info down asap otherwise i forget. Please dont get too mad at me

Its definately in the tft/lcd panel or attached boards/ribbon cable.

I decided to pull the frame off around the lcd panel itself because of so many people having issues there.

As soon as i took it apart, it started working perfect!

I wiggled and jiggled every board and connection in the back that i could find, and it did not make my issue come and go.

If i gently twist the lcd panel frame side to side the issue comes and goes, so im definately in the problematic area. I do not know if i have an issue with the glass part itself, or if its in one of the built in ribbon cables/board.

Im going to make another short vid showing what ive found so mabye other folks can fix thiers, and figure out my plan of attack. I see some sort of shimming/foam strips/tape and hacking in my future hehe. Theres gotta be a way to put a bandaid on this...

I must say that i am not too impressed with the build quality of these sonys.

Comment

Time to put an end to the story. I fixed it!!!

Unfortunately, in my ocd panic repair state, i forgot to snap pics of the fix in progress..

Basically i isolated the issue to the rt top of the lcd where the ribbon cables meet, worst at the ribbon next to last on the right top.

I got some 1.25" wide grey foam weatherstripping from work and applied an 8" long piece to the whole corner. I got as much as i could on the glass without letting you see it once assembled, the rest of it went over the cables and board on top.

heres what im talking about: http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/28...ip-282160.aspx

I then reinstalled the metal trim around the lcd. This pushes on the foam and therefore forces the glass and ribbon cable to contact tightly again. ALso forces the ribbon cable and little board on top to fit tightly as well.

its been running several hours, been twisted tapped whatever and so far so good. I will update the thread if something changes but so far so good.

I dont know if i should start seeking these out to fix or not, now that i know what im doing, this is easy, it just takes time to tear down and find the problematic area.

SO if you have a grey screen kdl series with this lcd panel, you just might have a bad or krappy connection on the lcd itself!!!( it powers up everytime now)
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by cadillacman; 02-25-2011, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Wow! that is what I was looking for. I did the same thing you did, but I didn`t take it as far.
                      I didn`t buy a t-con board yet cause I was afraid of panel failure. I didn`t read anything about panel failure. Where did you find it?

Comment

watched vids on youtube... let me see if i can find the one that set me in the right direction..

thats definately something to look into on your sets..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCExlSnG4yY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW998RTAq-0

now THIS GUY actually figured out what circuit it was that gets krappy and he was able to run a jumper wire.

Id like do to this but im not paying him $100 for the info
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVsv3vsKDQc&NR=1
                        Last edited by cadillacman; 02-25-2011, 05:59 PM.

Comment

I was fortunate to pick one of these up, luckily it was dirt cheap.
                          It has the ghosting effect more noticeable on the right side of the screen,
                          And when things move fast on the right side of the screen it looks like it's moving in slow motion.
                          Has this problem definitely identified to a problem with bonding of the flat cable to the panel?
                          Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

either bonding of the vable to the glass panel yes, or from the cable to the circuit boards up top.

if you take it apart then reassemble enough to test, you can gently poke around and figure out where the problem issue is. some folkd use pieces of plastic, rubber, in my case i trued the foam and it worked out well.

I dont know if its something i would do to a friends tv but in my case it worked out well.

Comment

It's not the exact same model however I feel the symptoms are very similar.
                              After running it quite a while a new symptom has developed, after turning the set off, sometimes on the next power on attempt I will have sound and I can tell the backlights are on but there is no picture.
                              If I cycle through all the inputs, and power off and on the picture reappears, I don't know if this has multiple problems or this all could be related to a specific board.
                              Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

That is classic panel failure. If you have a picture and push on the feeds to the panel (top left of panel) the picture sometimes goes out (grey screen). Upon turning tv off then back on you will have a picture.

The problems change, (get worse or go away), as the panel warms up.

I would remove the lcd panel and use the backlight to view x-rays for the ER.

Comment

Working...
                                X