VIZIO E320VL Powers on then shuts off within a few seconds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VIZIO E320VL Powers on then shuts off within a few seconds

Hi All - I'm new to this. I have a Vizio 32" LCD HDTV that is 18 months old. It has stopped working. It will power on, amber light goes to white, displays VIZIO on the screen, then within a few seconds powers off and goes back to amber. Since the Vizio logo displays and I see light I assume the backlight is working fine. Of course the warranty is up. I have opened the TV, I do not see any visible issues with bulging or leaking capacitors. I have tried to reset, uplugged all external devices, unplugged from power source, held the power button for 60 seconds, plugged into new outlet, etc. I would like to attempt to fix it myself due to the cost of service vs. a new TV. On the net I have read everything from bad capacitors, to bad power supply board, to bad motherboard. Any suggestions from you pros?

Re: VIZIO E320VL Powers on then shuts off within a few seconds

Vizios tend to have a problem with LDO Regulators on the Main Board please supply pictures of all of your boards hooked up and then one of each board close up and also the backside of the power supply and mainboard. We can point out the LDO's that need testing and how to do it.
    Have you ever stopped to think and then forget to start thinking again?

As a very wise man once said on this forum: "Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most."

Comment

It sounds like a bad backlight inverter or CCFL tubes; you may have the all too common "two seconds to black" due to the backlight inverter sensing a problem. However, it is uncommon for the TV to go back into standby mode after this. Another common issue is the buttons on the side panel getting stuck due to dirt or contamination, which simulates the power button being pressed down continuously - the TV will shut down because of this.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thank you for the responses, when I get home from work I will take the photos and post them. I don't want to order a board only to find out that it wasn't the problem. Very disappointing.

Comment

another update, some further research has indicated that it may be a firmware update issue, I called Sam's Club (vendor) and their tech support indicated firmware - I contacted Vizio as well, they need me to scan my receipt, asked them about a firmware update, even if it is out of warranty I'm hoping that they will at least assist with sending a USB drive and an EEPROM (?? whatever this is) to update it.....I'm no techie thanks for understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by kelley View Post
            another update, some further research has indicated that it may be a firmware update issue, I called Sam's Club (vendor) and their tech support indicated firmware - I contacted Vizio as well, they need me to scan my receipt, asked them about a firmware update, even if it is out of warranty I'm hoping that they will at least assist with sending a USB drive and an EEPROM (?? whatever this is) to update it.....I'm no techie thanks for understanding.
            you wont be able to do this firmware update if the TV doesn't stay on. your problem seem to be hardware related.

Comment

You could try this - costs nowt.
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=168
              Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Hi All,
                First let me say thank you all so much for your help. I truly appreciate the input from you all. Here is my update. I called Vizio and after scanning receipt and talking to support they told me there is a firmware update. They sent me, at no cost with prepaid return shipping, a black box with an RGB and USB hookup. I connected to TV and pressed a RESET button (following instructions). Then power it on. The next step was to disconnect this box from the TV. Power it off. Then insert a USB flash drive they sent. Turn on TV and update the firmware. This has fixed the TV. It now works perfectly! I am left to wonder how many recently out of warranty TVs have been scrapped because the repair service wants $185 to fix and most people will not call the company because the TV is out of warranty. Most people will not pay repairs considering the TV is less than $300. Hopefully this post will help others with the same problem. VIZIO fixed!
                Last edited by kelley; 08-24-2012, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Can you give me the number and name of the rep you spoke to? I have the same problem, but don't have a receipt. It was given to me because it was broken. That should have no bearing on whether they fix it or not. It is their problem, and should be taken care of. Perhaps if I have no luck, kelly, I could pay for shipping for you to send the package to me so I can fix mine, then I can return it to you. I would even pay a small fee for it if you like.

Thanks,
                  Worm

Comment

Hi,

I called Vizio Support with the make, model and serial number of the TV. I explained the problem and that the TV was only 18 months old, but warranty expired. I told them that I had found on another forum where someone with the same issue posted about the black box EEPROM and USB firmware update. They verified that there is a firmware update for this model TV. I explained that I would appreciate their assistance on their product even if it is out of warranty. They asked me to email scan of receipt (luckily I had it). In my opinion, if you have this TV and the problem is the same then they should supply you with the same solution - whether you have the receipt or not. Sam's Club supplied me with the contact information for two TV repair places. I called ITI and they said it would be $185 flat fee to fix the TV all inclusive - unless there are parts involved...WTF? Then what is all inclusive I asked? - New boards means parts. My guess is they come out and do the firmware update and voila $185. If you choose not to get parts they refund fully $100....so you pay $85 for a service call. BS in my opinion.

I have already returned the items to Vizio, sorry I can't help you there. Good luck! Provide an update. Below is the information I have:

Vizio Support: Toll-Free: 877.698.4946 (877 MY VIZIO)
                    Representative Sid

Comment

Also read the post by madatvizio regarding calling BBB on Vizio and getting a response from them.

Comment

Update....I contacted Vizio through their live chat function. They took my address and immediately offered to send "the fix for the auto-shutoff" in his words, free of charge. I do have to give them credit for excellent customer service. At least in this case. I will keep you guys informed with the results of my eeprom flash.

Thanks,
                        Worm

Comment

Good luck! Hope this fixes your TV too.

Comment

It sure did! and they don't want to let anyone know about this. seems shady.

Comment

"It sure did!" @worminizer, so it did fix the problem? what is it that they sent you?
                              Never stop learning
                              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Can you post the link for the live chat?? I wonder if this would fix any other problems than auto-shutoff...

Comment

Is this actually reflashing the eeprom then??

Comment

I tried contacting Vizio support, they would not send out their firmware to me. I told them this happened after a power surge which is what customer said but can't be sure.. There is someone on Ebay selling Eeprom chips for same issue I have:
                                    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vizio-E320VL...#ht_214wt_1172

Sid: Thank you for contacting VIZIO Live Chat, the home of Entertainment Freedom for All. This is Sid in South Dakota. Have you ever contacted us before?

Kevin: nope

Sid: If the TV has stopped powering on after a power surge, a Firmware update would not correct the issue. Here at VIZIO we pride ourselves in providing best in class customer support and all of our support is U.S. based, and I can assist you with that.

Sid: To better assist you, I would like to get you registered for technical support so I can log this case. Could I start off by first getting your full address including City, State and zip code (physical address, not PO Box), and then could you give me your serial number, date of purchase, purchase location, and price please?

Sid: Thank you. Can you please do a powercycle for me.

1- Power off TV
                                    2- Unplug TV from outlet
                                    3- Press and hold in the power button on the side of the TV for 30 seconds (while it is unplugged from the wall)
                                    4- Release the power button
                                    5- Plug in the TV using another known working outlet
                                    6- Power the TV back on

Kevin: Occassionally this TV would power on then power off, trying powercycle now

Kevin: did powercycle no change

Sid: Would it be possible to connect the TV to another outlet? Also, check that the power cable is firmly connected at the back of the TV.

Kevin: I tried that already, TV gets power just will not turn on, or turns on then off

Sid: Okay. If this issue did appear after a power surge, it would not be software or firmware related. Rather, this is a hardware related issue, and the TV will need to be repaired.

At this time, the device would be outside of the manufacturer's warranty. I can provide you the contact number for the repair group we would use in your area. You may contact them to inquire about a repair. Would you like that number?

Kevin: Sid I've done a lot of research this problem is consistent with others who have had a corrupted eeprom, I would like to try to eeprom flash. I realize it is out of warranty but I know vizio sends them out even if it's out of warranty.

Kevin: I would like to do this before spending $100's on repair you know?

Sid: We may be able to, if it would address this issue. Again, if the issue began occurring after a power surge, the Firmware Tool will have no effect. I am not able to send this tool, as this is a hardware issue.

If you would like to pursue a repair, you may reach HD repair at 800-713-2671

Worm what did you tell them??

Comment

I have the exact same problem as Kelly doing doing exactly the same thing.

I called Vizio tech support and they are sending me out the firmware update on a flashdrive. I had to ask for it. The very friendly tech support agent was out of ideas when I finally suggested I had read this was a possible fix from the internet.

I'll repost in 7-9 biz days how I make out.

Comment

Every shop in town told me its garbage or pay 100-300$ in repair. My tv has been siting unplugged for months. Then I found this forum. Just called the support line and explained my problem. They instructed me to hold the power button down for 30 seconds with the TV unplugged. I already have tried but I did it again anyways just so they knew I was trying. No successes. I explained that Ive done some research online and understand that it could be a possible firmware problem. She said ok, can I put you on hold. I was on hold for about 8 minutes and she came back and said yeah, it was a firmware update.(almost in a tone like she already knew it was the problem) She said normally they send out a flash drive in the mail but in my case they had to send someone to come personally. I asked how much it would cost and she said it was free .

I'll update in 5 businesses days

Comment

Working...
                                        X