Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: netflix, the network destoryer

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
    Don't get me started on my internet connection...
    In the evenings when people are watching Netlifx (including me sometimes) the "6Mbps" DSL is more like 0Mbps DSL. Why? Because the AT&T lines and nodes out here suck, (even more than they do anywhere else), and it kicks my modem off the network when it's overloaded. I restart my modem, and it works again for a while, then it kicks me off... sort of an endless cycle.
    Seriously, you need to rewire the inside and use shorter telephone wiring and get a real short cord to connect from the jack to the router.
    (You can get those short cords from RadioShack)

Then go into the router config pages and see what the reported signal rates are. More important in your context, is the SNR margin.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Um... I don't think I can rewire my apartment building? LOL!

Is this info useful?
      DSL Line (Wire Pair): Line 1 (inner pair)
      Downstream Rate Cap: 6016 kbps
      Downstream Atten. at 300kHz: 34.5 dB
      Uncancelled Echo: -15.7 dB Ok
      VCXO Frequency Offset: -39.5 ppm Ok
      Final Rx Gain: 29.9 dB Ok
      Impulse Noise Comp. Tones: 0 Ok
      Excessive Impulse Noise: 0 Ok
      Impulse noise protection: 2.21
      Delay of latency path: 16.00 ms
      Collected for 3 days 23:55:44
      ATM Since Reset Current 24-Hour Interval Current 15-Minute Interval Time Since
      Last Event
      Cell Header Errors: 33195 11003 0 1:40:46
      Loss of Cell Delineation: 30155 9306 0 1:40:46
      DSL
      Link Retrains: 35 12 0 1:40:45
      DSL Training Errors: 2 0 0 2 days 7:22:55
      Training Timeouts: 0 0 0 0:00:00
      Loss of Framing Failures: 52 18 0 1:40:46
      Loss of Signal Failures: 53 18 0 1:40:46
      Loss of Power Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00
      Loss of Margin Failures: 70 22 0 1:40:46
      Cumulative Seconds w/Errors: 770 253 0 1:40:46
      Cumulative Sec. w/Severe Errors: 589 204 0 1:40:46
      Corrected Blocks: 349689 36166 0 0:30:40
      Uncorrectable Blocks: 33451 11345 0 1:40:46
      DSL Unavailable Seconds: 1394 417 0 1:40:23

Comment

The amount of errors reported is sickening! It might as well have GSCs!
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
          The amount of errors reported is sickening! It might as well have GSCs!
          Do you think my modem is at fault? I do not think so as it's the latest model.

Comment

Do you think my modem is at fault? I do not think so as it's the latest model.
            It could be outside, possibly before the box.
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

I guess its outside of my control.
              It sucks having nice computers but stuff is still slow because of the internet
              Or maybe I'm just having doubts on my new gfx car I bought LOL!

Comment

I guess its outside of my control.
                It sucks having nice computers but stuff is still slow because of the internet
                Or maybe I'm just having doubts on my new gfx car I bought LOL!
                The modem still could be bad.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Netflix pisses me off too, great for home but still if you dont have a good connection you and everyone suffers.

Here was my solution: RedBox

Wait for a computer to get a virus (or proactively let a virus on there) then tell them it came from netflix website. Do your computer voodoo and the virus is gone

Of course they will go back, so wait a a few days and find out whos still using it. Throttle thier connection to 56k.... then you get a call and tell them of you must have the netflix virus again. Fix that and warn them again and offer an alternative solution, redbox, of course they will go back to the site. Here you have several choices, fuck with them some more. Redirect the site to something morally disturbing to them (who doesnt run thier own dns servers?) or throttle the connection to those sites.

After throttling the connection stupid sister in law got the drift and my connection speed was resolved (and my router finally had a break). Did i feel bad? Hell no, she didnt pay a dime for ANYTHING. mooch.

Comment

matt i love the idea if i could get away with using that on the customers at work i would.
                    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

After throttling the connection stupid sister in law got the drift and my connection speed was resolved
                      Or you know... you could just block the netflix domain since you own the router... or throttle it down to unwatchable.

Comment

Originally posted by NxB View Post
                        Or you know... you could just block the netflix domain since you own the router... or throttle it down to unwatchable.

then i hear "well it works at my friends house or when i take it to work"

it was throttled so it took almost 5 minutes to load the main page. no video was going to play over that.

I tried making it fair for everyone, but some people just dont like cooperating and contributing equally so i had to take a passive aggressive appraoch

In the past i have been accused of "manipulating the internet for no good reason, blocking a few domains would raise the flag so i found a way that makes me look innocent

Comment

Working...
                        X