westinghouse lvm-37w1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

westinghouse lvm-37w1

i have a 37 inch westinghouse lcd tv and when i turn it on it powers up and i can see video but its all distorted, the video is flashing and looks like there are lines. It was working just a few days ago just fine. ive taken it apart and i dont see any burn marks or blown caps ill up load some pics now.
    Attached Files

Re: westinghouse lvm-37w1

Incredible.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

lol thanks plain bill but any ideas on what i can test?

Comment

here are some pics i took a few days ago. it looks like it had some water spilled on it and i cleaned it and resoldered the areas that had water stains and that seemed to fix it for a while but now its not working again.
        Attached Files

Comment

here is a better pic of what the tv screen looks like
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by testas86 View Post
            here is a better pic of what the tv screen looks like
            Possibly Tcon, or a bad panel.

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

whats a Tcon and can i test it? and the panel is obviously the LCD screen its self right?

Comment

whats a Tcon and can i test it? and the panel is obviously the LCD screen its self right?
                It's the board between the main board and the panel. I could point it out if you had posted a picture of the TV from the back...

PlainBill

Comment

i took a pic of it disassembled but i guess it didnt save on my phone ill have to go take another one tomorrow or perhaps tonight.

Comment

is there anyway to test to see if that is the issue?

Comment

The way that you would test it is to put in a new one. If you type in the model number (lvm-37w1) into ebay search, you'll find that there are some boards available for this unit. I'd try the one for $20 first. Hell, why not? lol
                      Last edited by Dgtech; 01-19-2011, 09:42 PM.
                      The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

hmmm ok thanks for the info

Comment

Well i found out that it is the Tcon board that is causing my issue and this is how i came to that conclusion. First when i was looking at the screen i saw that the image its self was distorted not just sections of the screen so i figured chances are good that its not the panel. so i dismantled the tv again and i got to the Tcon board and applied a trick i learned while servicing Xbox 360s and nvidia chipsets on laptops which is to super heat them with a blow torch to "reflow" the chips. I figured that if i got a change in image either better or worse i would know that the Tcon board was the issue. once i flowed the chips on the Tcon i put everything back together and turn on the tv and i got a crystal clear image again. so now im ordering a new Tcon board as the reflowing chips doesnt serve as a long term fix but did help me figure out what was going wrong on my tv!

Comment

so now im ordering a new Tcon board as the reflowing chips doesnt serve as a long term fix but did help me figure out what was going wrong on my tv!
                            Good job in figuring out it was the tcon board.

Just a buying hint. Based on my single experience buying a tcon, it looks like many TV makers buy their tcon cards from other manufacturers. If you search for the tcon part number and not the tv model number, you may find a larger selection and cheaper price on ebay.

Details at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...89&postcount=6
                            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

thank you for the hint!

Comment

Just sort of semi-necroing the thread to add more information.

The power board for this item is somewhat common in various TVs, apparently - it's a DPS-336AP. (Strange mix of capacitor brands)

Unfortunately, the main controller board is _not_ common. It's a L37AVW43AAB, but the most common part number is 5600110382 (sometimes a L37A, which is actually the _board_ part number, not the full assembly part number)

I'm currently troubleshooting one of these my brother picked up for nothing. You can test the power board itself by putting a jumper on the PSON pin to the ground pin right next to it (SATA/SCSI drive jumpers are just the right size. Old IDE jumpers are too large). That will trigger off the power board itself, and then you can test the various voltages to ground (18, 120, 5, etc) Once I jumpered mine, the screen lit up, and the lights were steady. The picture, on the other hand, looked like someone was overlaying Light Cycle end maps as a screen saver. Once I pulled the main controller board loose, the bottom actually looks like someone spilled crap on it, and it dried - but it's not showing signs of burning - just shmutz on the board in patterns around certain components. Now I have to ask him if he wants me to invest the $65 in a board from a broken screen unit to see if that fixes it. I'm pretty sure that the problem is _not_ in the button controller board, but in the main controller/display driver itself.

Comment

One more update.

After using a heat gun to reflow some of the parts, I plugged it back in, and the unit _would_ power up. (it ignored the power button before, and I had to forcibly jumper the circuit) No menu or input options, but it's definitely a funky board.

I may put it in the oven for 15 minutes or so to get an even reflow before thinking about spending $70 on an old TV.

Comment

Working...
                                  X