Dead Samxon GFs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead Samxon GFs

So I go to a customers house last week and picked up a Gateway LCD monitor that they told me popped and shut off and ever since then it would come on for a few seconds then shut down.

So I open it up and to my suprise there are bulged Samxon GF series caps inside .

I didn't take a picture before removal but heres a pic of the offenders.

So I replace the caps with Panasonic FCs and viola the monitor is back in business.

The fault detection circuit was shutting down the PSU to prevent damage due to the faulty caps.

Now I understand LCD supplies run rather hot but come on this monitor barely made it to one year. And NO it hasn't been run 24/7 for that year either.

Is the GF series just a dud or something?
    Last edited by Krankshaft; 09-22-2007, 10:54 AM.
    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Re: Dead Samxon GFs

See this thread: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4116

Big Pope, who sells SAMXON caps on this forum, says that the GF series is an older series of caps and newer series of SAMXON caps are more reliable than the GF series of caps.
    My gaming PC:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
    ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
    PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
    G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
    TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
    WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
    ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
    Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
    Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

I've seen those dead in the very same LCD monitor inverter. I was also told they're an older series. Also after you recap it, take note of how hot that inverter gets, I think that's also an attribute to the failure.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

My 21" Gateway monitor stopped working last week.
        Thanks to this thread/forum I now know the problem.

Any recommendation of a handy person(in GTA, that's Toronto, Canada) who will replace these caps for under $100?
        Attached Files

Comment

That's a very easy recap job

Single layer PCB, you could ask any TV repair shop or similar to do the job, just make sure they put in caps from one of the 5 major Japanese brands! (so you don't have to go back in 6 months...)
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
            just make sure they put in caps from one of the 5 major Japanese brands!
            That exactly is the whole problem with the typical TV repair shop. They are using crap caps as they either do not know it better or they just can`t make it economically for a reasonable price.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo0815
              That exactly is the whole problem with the typical TV repair shop. They are using crap caps as they either do not know it better or they just can`t make it economically for a reasonable price.
              I think the problem is that they simply go to their distributor or order online and take whatever they have. If its the right uf value and WV its fine.

I personally use Chemicons KMG and KME for general purpose applications and Panasonic FCs for low ESR.

Make sure the caps are replaced with Low ESR 105 C temperature rating caps and not general purpose caps. The Panasonic FC series is a good one and I believe the FCs are a non-aqueous electrolyte unlike the FMs.

Any main brand is fine:

Rubycon
              Panasonic
              Nippon (United) Chemicon
              Nichicon
              Samxon

Check out the bad caps sticky thread just to get a feel for the names of the bad ones.
              Last edited by Krankshaft; 11-02-2007, 07:27 PM.
              Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo0815
                You buy them and take them in. Be prepared for the guilt trip for asking them to installed customer supplied parts.
                sig files are for morons

Comment

Working...
                X