The old VP6, need a little help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The old VP6, need a little help

Ok, so I traded for what is suppose to be a working VP6, and it did for about 3 hours. I installed 2 p3 1ghz processors 768mb of ram and all was good. Now it will only boot with 1 processor installed, doesn't matter which processor I use or which socket on the board. So I got to looking at the caps, all are nichicon (so they have been replaced at one time or another) except the 4 behind the pararell port. They are still black jacksons, so do you think my booting issue could be from the jacksons, or maybe the nichicon's are bad (they don't show any signs of it). Thanks ahead of time.

Re: The old VP6, need a little help

the ones you describe are the vrm input caps.change them.
    btw these boards are a bit more demanding of good power.double check the psu and clear cmos.

Comment

Originally posted by smokinkane
      Now it will only boot with 1 processor installed, doesn't matter which processor I use or which socket on the board..
      The fact that it works with either socket, but not both, could also result from inadequacy (or bad caps too), of the PSU.

Could you tell us which power supply you're using?

Comment

I have tried 4 different power supplies, antec 385w, enlight 300w, ocz modstream 450w, and a sparkle 250w. I recapped the 4 left over jacksons behind the parallel port this morning, no luck. I removed the cmos battery, and cleared the cmos, no luck. I also reflashed the bios, still no luck, is there any special setting in the bios for enabling 2 cpu's? Is there any thing else I can try? Thanks

Comment

I'll take a stab here,
          You believe board was previously recapped?
          If this is the case you may want to inspect each solder joint on bottom of caps.
          The machine working three hours then not, and board being maybe flexed both physically and mentally.. I mean thermally could cause this.
          Jim

Comment

Yes this board has all nichicon caps, except for the 4 jacksons I replaced this morning. So I will check the solder joints again, to make sure. Anything else I can check?

Comment

does it not post or not boot?

Comment

I figured it out, the heatsink fan combo I was using was to much for the sockets. It flexed the board to much, causing the failed boot. I went back to intel heatsinks and all it well. Man these little boards with 1ghz's p3's run windows media center really well.

Comment

Working...
                X