This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

I have a bunch of older electronics (synthesizers & computers), so I became curious about replacing electrolyic capacitors. Badcaps caught my attention due to the fact there's a good focus on recapping motherboards.

Comment

Hello
      I look forward to have the opportunity to learn something new from professionals

Comment

Howdy, folks.

I'm known as Keith although my first name is Robert.

I live in Belfast and I studied Electronics and Communications Engineering at Uni.

Currently I work in (K-12) education as a technician. From time to time old kit gets dumped and I, ahem, rescue it.

I previously used BadCaps to try to fix a faulty Mini-ITX board. I wasn't successful but it hasn't deterred me and I have been more successful on other projects. I'm surprised at the number of PSU's that can be fixed quite easily and for relatively low cost by replacing a bulging cap.

I am surrounded by kit but little of it is working and I am currently trying to move back home to set up a permanent workshop. I am also missing access to the internet but not TV. I get all the entertainment I need from fixing stuff.

I hope to be able to offer pointers on projects I have fixed and gain knowledge from the other members.

Cheers,

Keith

Comment

Hello All!

Glad I found this forum. I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time here.

Randall

Comment

Hi all,
            Stumbled on this forum while looking for some repair info for a LCD tv.

Hope some of the experts here can point me in the right direction to learn how to properly use test equipment being i just gained access to a e-recycling drop off center.

Comment

Hi Guys,
              I am here because my laptop is now a big paper weight, thanks to NEC caps

Comment

Page 77! Looks like the 100 page mark is not far off now.

Google brought me here as I have this problem but I think I like the way you guys think and share knowledge and as I am going to be getting the soldering iron and multi-meter out of mothballs to fix my monitor I figured I might be able to share what I know to repay the knowledge given here that potentially will help me...

I'm rewtd and it's been many years since the last hardware hacking village I attended. Will have to make that happen this year again. I have forgotten how much fun this can be.

Comment

Hi,

My name is Russ. I stumbled across this site since my Gateway LCD monitor crapped out on me last night. I've had a bit of experience replacing caps in other LCD monitors, but this site REALLY cuts to the chase with all the details.

I'm looking forward to enjoying this site and hopefully I can make some contributions of value to someone.

See you all in the threads!

Russ
                  reward

Comment

HI. My name is Brad. I have been repairing all kinds of electronics for the last 25 years or so. I worked for a vending company for several years and repaired arcade games, jukeboxes and vending machines. Started TV repair along with stereo equipment and all sorts of other home electronics, VCRs, CD players, Receivers and amps, Film projectors, turntables and more.

I figure if it has screws it was meant to be fixed. I hope to find clues to aid in my repairs as well as to maybe help others with theirs.

Comment

HI ,I'm in thailand. Nice to meet you all.

Comment

Hello Lads & Lasses

Being a knowledge seeker with a problem. I happened to access Badcaps looking for a solution to a problem with the display on my DAB radio.

I will go back to that thread although it's about 2 years old.

I'm no electronics wizz. But I like to fix things. If it's a "sealed" unit I'll drill out the rivetts, or unscrew it. If it's totally sealed a Stanley knife carefully used will often give me access. I win more than I lose.

Look forward to participating in this most interesting site.

Comment

Re: Hello

Er, Gidday! Have only just found the instructions for posting,so here goes:-
                          Retired 10yrs from a lifetime of electronics, now have no trade access to parts, service manuals etc, but still love playing with computers and modern monitors. 1st 10 years were working for the Government here in New Zealand as a technician in both radio and TV,then 7yrs in a TV factory,followed by 30 years as a serviceman, including a stint at regunning CRTs.
                          My grandsons Samsung Syncmaster 205BW display disappears at random times after switch-on so I've been sucked in again! I'll keep looking here regularly and detail the problem a little later. A VERY useful Forum!
                          Ted

Comment

Just to say hello.
                            I was searching more info about Samsung 240T so I found this forum.

Regards,
                            ZoD

Comment

Thanks for the invite. I hope my time here in this site will be productive and helpfull... as I'm sure it will be. Best wishes to all.
                              superken.

Comment

Hi all,

Just saying hello. I've been brought to the wealth of information that is this forum searching for a solution to my Dell monitor's power supply issues.

Comment

Hi all,

I just registered and wanted to say "hi". I was searching for a solution, advice or a fix for my mobo, and many results Google found were bringing me here.

Comment

Just signed up.
                                    Have two Acer AL2416w monitors for the last three years. One just started to exhibit the 2 sec on, then black screen symptom.

I have been in the computer business since the Radio Shack TRS-80, but started out at age 16 in Ham Radio (WA2UVK) building transmitters and antennaes. Grew up in NYC where putting up large antennaes was a bit of a problem. Constructed lots of analog radio and audio gear (Heathkit for any of you who are old enough to know what that is!)

Spent 30 years writing software for PCs and networks, and for the last 10 years do hard drive recovery and Windows repair.

Is there a published list for the caps to be replaced in the Acer monitors?

Comment

Hello,
                                      Found this forum looking for info on a Philips LCD (more on that in the TV section later!). Was on a bench for a while back during the Citizens Band craze after a vocational degree in Radio and TV. Ended up going back and getting my BSEE about 30 years ago. Been shuffling paper doing engineering management since then. I still try to keep my hand in the repair bucket from time to time but technology changes so darn fast I can't keep up very well. Analog stuff I am just fine with. FPGAs, processors, etc. not so much. The new hire engineers (heck, they look to be kids about 12 years old!) at work say "Tube, what is a tube?" and "TTL, what is TTL?"

Later and THANKS for being here!

Mel D.

P.S. I LIKE the smilies! --MD
                                      Last edited by Mel D.; 04-15-2012, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Hi,
                                        I'm Mik, I've got electronic stuff that needs repair and, as I can't afford to replace it at this time I find myself here.

I've dusted off some old meters (very old) and got some new leads for them so now I'm ready to try and fix some of my soon to be spare parts collection.

I've already gained to quite a bit of knowledge from this forum and I only found/joined this morning, I look forward to learning more!

Comment

Hello everyone,
                                          For online purposes, I am using the handle "nicktesla" (my hero), which you may recognize and easily remember. I am a Consulting Electronics Design Engineer for decades and a hobbyist since age 8, long ago. I have several flat screen displays I got at a Hamfest that I am trying to fix and or maintain for my own computers as a fun project. Found this site today. Currently looking for complete schematic and parts list for Benq Q7T3 (FP731). (I know about the 2SC5707, FU9024, 3A fuse and transformer pin resoldering as well as "badcaps" that I will need to test). The one I need good schematics for displays the image of a "cracked screen" independent of what computer it is attached to so it does not appear to be malware. I don't think it is really cracked. Has anyone seen or solved this problem or have the full schematic with parts list?
                                          Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                          X