Viewsonic VP2030b Flickering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viewsonic VP2030b Flickering

When playing games, or viewing fullscreen images my display pulses/flickers. It also doesn't like coulered/patterned backgrounds but is fine with a white screen.
    It's been doing it for a few months but been gradually getting more frequent and now my monitor is hardly usable, even using this forum it is causing it.
    [update]It's intermittent though, screen has been on for a few hours now and it's no longer doing when viewing this forum.
    I took a video a couple of months ago of CSS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfRghUIMbbs (around 0:09/0:10 is a flash-bang in-game) but you can clearly see the screen is flickering and the display constantly freezes for a fraction of a second.

If I use the in-built USB hub it causes the flickering to happen almost non-stop.

What do you guys think? Bad caps? Is it easily repairable? (it's out of warranty now)

ps. never buy viewsonic, this is my third replacement under warranty [4th screen] and has lasted just under 2 years.

Re: Viewsonic VP2030b Flickering

It could be bad caps. Take it apart and look at the caps. If you are unsure, post clear focused pictures after reading the FAQ on how to insert pictures.

It is easy to repair if you have a soldering iron, solder, and a desolder pump or wick.

Originally posted by Magnets
    What do you guys think? Bad caps? Is it easily repairable?
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by Magnets
      If I use the in-built USB hub it causes the flickering to happen almost non-stop.
      Magnets, if you ever come back to read the response to your thread. Do a search for other VP2030b or VP2130b threads. Other people have similiar issue like yours.

The problem is the USB takes its 5V from the Main board. So, if the Main board has issues with the caps and the 5V rail already fluctuating, then there is your problem.

Comment

You might also have a problem with your CCFL lamps, put your ear to the top and or bottom of the LCD and listen for sizzling crackling noise and a distinctive smell of plastic burning. The lamps might be shorting out.. that will also cause the flickering as I found out during the repair of my KDS monitor.

The wire(s) leading to the CCFL on top were kinda crispy.
        www.bcrelectronics.ca

Comment

I cracked it open and I can only see one bad capacitor (c206 - 1000uf 6.3V).

What is the correct method of removing the panel from the front and rear plastic casing? I had to leave the 4 screws in the back of the case and pry the front bezel off from the rear plastic case and simultaneously pry the latches that attach to the actual metal TFT panel.
          I was expecting the rear case to just pop off after removing the screws.

I found this piece of plastic under the circuit boards, in this exact position. Anyone have any idea where it should go? Looks like it may go under the metal plate that is under the yellow board.

The USB board looks OK

Here is the only bad one I can see:

There was no smell of burning, and it's been like it for a while. One thing I noticed is that the flashing happens more on patterened screens (more so when the pattern is light). The flickering does not happen on a pure white screen, and decreasing the display resolution seems to ease the problem but not fix it.
          I had a good read through the other thread but didn't see anyone mention the same problem, only issues with long startup time and the green LED flashing (I had that exact problem on an older viewsonic monitor).
          Here's some more pics, let me know what you think.

The same photos in large resolution are here http://www.zen23322.zen.co.uk/images/forum/badcaps/
          Attached Files

Comment

That piece of clear plastic goes on the solder side of the P/S. It acts as a insulator from the metal LCD back.

I recall the front bezel just pops out when you give it a twist/bend at the hooks. Be careful with the flat cable to the front switches.

Definitely replace that 1000uF cap on the Main board. I see the small cap on your P/S is alos a bit domed up (C4 on 101_5120.jpg).

The other caps on the 5V USB board need not change.

If you are considering replacing ALL the Crapxon caps on this unit, I suggest don't (it just too many and you could screw up something else. besides most of those small ones don't crap out).

Comment

BTW, it looks like your inverter has the newer version. Was this monitor reapired previously?

Comment

I noticed the same (c4) in the image, but it's just the angle of the flash/photo, the top is still flat.

I am looking at capacitors in Farnell, but they only seem to sell Panasonic NHG or FK http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic/eca0...-3v/dp/9692738
                http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic/eeuf...0uf/dp/1744870

Can anyone suggest the best replacement? I see that RS also only stock those same Panasonic series. (looking for UK stockists)

The monitor is a warranty replacement that I've had for about a year and was almost certainly a repaired unit because the VESA mount cover was not fully attached when I received it and I had to pop it on myself. I had to wait for it to be sent from Denmark because viewsonic didn't have any stock in the UK.
                Last edited by Magnets; 08-14-2010, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Magnets, please add your country/region in your profile so others won't suggest you to get caps from US source. You can also order from ebay?

You need low ESR for that cap on the main board.

C4 on the P/S can be left alone based on your observation.

Whoever refurb this the last time for Viewsonic should have repalced that cap on the Main board!

Comment

Oh I missed 3 other caps on the Main board.

Replace these 330uF too: C204, C205 & C174.

Comment

Originally posted by lucky13 View Post
                      You can also order from ebay?

Whoever refurb this the last time for Viewsonic should have repalced that cap on the Main board!
                      I've always try to avoid ebay so would prefer not to, but if that is the only option then I will.

The monitor has been working fine for almost a year so I presume that capacitor was fine when they fixed the unit before shipping it out to me.

One other thing though, I noticed this red wire had been trapped between the heat shield and the back panel and it has flattened the wire, you can see where it has left an impression on the yellow tape. The tape was also under the CCFL connectors, whereas the service manual shows it's supposed to be above them.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Unless you have the 2sec to black issue, I would not worry about the flattened wire. it is a stranded wire anyway.

Comment

I've found most of the capacitors on farnell.

C206 1000uf 6.3V 8x15mm
                          Replace with Rubycon ZLH 1000uf 10V 8x16mm (10ZLH1000M8X16)

C204/C205/C174 330uf 16v 8x9mm
                          Replace with Rubycon ZLG 330uf 16V 8x11.5mm (16ZLG330M8X11.5)

C180/C181/C187/C188 100uf 16V 6.3x5mm
                          Replace with Panasonic FM 100uf 25V 6x11.2mm (EEUFM1E101)

C124 100uf 25V 6x7mm

I'll get some of the USB board capacitors too, just in case.
                          100uf 25V 6.3x11mm

Comment

I have just finished replacing C206 with Rubycon ZLH 1000uf 10V 8x16mm (10ZLH1000M8X16) and it has been running for 30 mins with no problems and the USB hub works fine now too. I didn't replace the others because I was too tight to buy a solder pump and just used the soldamop (braid) that I have, but it really doesn't work which makes things more difficult.
                            I noticed something rattling when moving the motherboard, but then realised it was probably just the tilt sensor

Thanks for the help
                            Last edited by Magnets; 08-18-2010, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Spoke too soon, it's flickering again Will replace C204/205/174 now
                              Last edited by Magnets; 08-18-2010, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Do change those 3x 330uF caps.

You might want to forgo using the built-in USB hub to see if it helps.

Do you have a meter to check voltages?

Comment

I swapped the 330uf caps and it's been running fine for almost 3 hours, I haven't tried the USB hub yet but I'd rather just not use it than have to spend more time fixing it, or break something.

I have a small multimeter but I am not confident enough to poke around with it while live.

Comment

I have it running with the rear cover removed and the metal cover/backplate for the power board is fairly hot (cool enough to hold your hand against but not for too long) is that normal?

What purpose does the sticky-back silver foil serve? It seems to have lost it's stickyness.

Comment

Been almost a week of usage and it's fixed.

I still have a problem with image persistence in a strip across the bottom few inches of the screen. Is that fixable?

If the same image is on the screen for a few hours I get an inverted ghost image that disappears after a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnets View Post
                                        Been almost a week of usage and it's fixed.

I still have a problem with image persistence in a strip across the bottom few inches of the screen. Is that fixable?

If the same image is on the screen for a few hours I get an inverted ghost image that disappears after a while.
                                        That issue is your LCD. Not repairable.

This model runs very warm. Good in the winter.

The silver tape is for EM/RFI shielding. Unfortunately, once you pull it off, it does not stick anymore. No big deal unless you have AM radio nearby.

Comment

Working...
                                        X