Get rid of screen sparkles in plasma TV's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get rid of screen sparkles in plasma TV's

I've seen it some times, random sparkles, mainly red, with different concentration over the screen, I mean some areas may have more or less of the sparkles.
    I've also seen for example after an on screen display graphics has been shown (like an input select info square or similair) and then goes away, the area where the on screen info was has more of the sparkles and fades away in a second or two.
    May anyone explain what's causing the sparkles and if there is a way to get rid of them? I've trimmed all voltages according to the sticker on the plasma. I don't ask for a specific model, more of general info what causing this.
    I have seen that the pot on the Y-SUS (Vset) may affect the amount of sparkles but not possible to get rid of them entirely.
    Thanks for now.

Re: Get rid of screen sparkles in plasma TV's

Generally it is a control board and Y-sustain problem. The control signal is slightly out of sync with the switching capability of the components on the Y-sustain due to age and breakdown caused by heat. LG particularly has problems when the Y-sustain is replaced on the 42X3 panel and occasionally on the 50X3 panel. Their solution is to reprogram the control board while also readjusting voltage to different specs. If you do not have the Jig to reprogram the control board then they recommend replacing it entirely. I would assume that it is the same with Samsung plasmas but I am not entirely sure. I will have to look through my plasma training manuals to confirm.

Comment

have seen that same issue and "fix" with lg sets as well...

Comment

Originally posted by rayrod81 View Post
        Generally it is a control board and Y-sustain problem. The control signal is slightly out of sync with the switching capability of the components on the Y-sustain due to age and breakdown caused by heat. LG particularly has problems when the Y-sustain is replaced on the 42X3 panel and occasionally on the 50X3 panel. Their solution is to reprogram the control board while also readjusting voltage to different specs. If you do not have the Jig to reprogram the control board then they recommend replacing it entirely. I would assume that it is the same with Samsung plasmas but I am not entirely sure. I will have to look through my plasma training manuals to confirm.
        So you mean, when the Y-SUS board or it's IPM is changed the new parts doesn't have the same switching speeds as the old ones?
        So the controlboard has to be reprogrammed to compensate for this.
        I would really like to see the training manual suggesting this. Could you point towards a training manual for an LG plasma suggesting this solution?

Comment

It is one of the LG training manuals on scribd that mentions reprogramming the logic board to get rid of the maldischarge. I will look for it and post the link.

Comment

Here it is: http://www.scribd.com/doc/7580885/LG...raining-Manual

It is on page 21 and 22 where it talks about the maldischarge and page 47 through 49 or 50 that goes through the process of a ROM download for the control board and the voltage adjustments needed.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

So, is the JIG the only way to flash the ROM? Are the other three software download instructions for different downloads?
                LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

I have run into this on L/G when changing the Z board as well. It happens with about 50% of the tvs I repair. I also noted it can be worse if not replacing with the same revision (a,b,or c) at the end of the board part number.

You can not adjust it out by changing va or vs. You can minimize it by adjusting the Y sus waveform a bit.

I think the speckles are the timing of the Y and Z boards and how they work together to form the picture.

This may be another reason to replace both Y and Z boards at the same time with the same revision.

Comment

In my case, I just replaced the IPMs on the Y and Z boards and a fuse on the Y board. I'm going to try a new controller board to see if that corrects the issue.
                    Last edited by capkid; 09-26-2011, 01:42 PM.

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10657

Is this the same problem we have here?
                      I still have that RCA and also a Hitachi plasma have similar problem both with LG panel, would like to see if that can be fix.

Comment

Originally posted by fastvideo View Post
                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10657

Is this the same problem we have here?
                        I still have that RCA and also a Hitachi plasma have similar problem both with LG panel, would like to see if that can be fix.
                        Yep, it's the same problem. I bought my Toshiba used, and I now know to stay away from older plasmas. If the control board replacement doesn't fix my problem, I guess I'll just part it. The snow is annoying.

Comment

Working...
                        X