Dell XPS 600 Mobo Capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell XPS 600 Mobo Capacitors

So I think I'm going to send this board into the guys at badcaps.net, but just thought I'd post some info and get some thoughts on it.

It's an old Dell XPS 600 that stopped working last year (I've replaced the computer since). However, I'd like to try to get this machine up and running again, as it wasn't a bad machine when actually working.

When it stopped working, it would turn on with the fans blaring, but that's it. No POST, no nothing. Upon further investigation, I spotted a couple bad caps on the board, along with some other attachment next to these two. On the underside of that small other attachment, I see some slight burn marks on the board.

Anyway, here's a couple pics...just thought I'd try to get some input/thoughts on this. Unfortunately, the damn Dell cases are so specialized that you can't just put in a new board, and of course, Dell doesn't have any more of these boards available (and because of this, these 5 year old boards still go for $400+ on eBay, which is crazy).

http://ratlhead.com/mobo1.jpg (bad capacitors)
    http://ratlhead.com/mobo2.jpg (board info)
    http://ratlhead.com/mobo3.jpg (small attachment next to capacitors)

Thanks guys!

-Mike
    Last edited by ratlhead; 11-26-2011, 06:02 PM. Reason: Additional Info

Re: Dell XPS 600 Mobo Capacitors

Well, well, well, it looks like you have busted rubycons, which is very unusual, since they are usually a vrey reliable brand. I think that coil must have cooked them.

I had a similar issue on a gigabyte board at https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ied+GA-8IPE775.

It turned out that one of the MOSFETS had shorted, which is probably what caused the coil to burn up. I'd be checking the two parts I circled in yellow. If one is shorted, then that might explain why the coil burned up. Of course, you will also have to replace the coil and all 8 of the caps in that picture.
    Attached Files
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

That's a good place to start.

Also trace the circuit the coil is in back to the ATX PSU connector looking for bad components or PCB traces that burned out due to excessive current.
      - The MOSFET is the more likely the -cause- of the problem, what I'm suggesting you check is more for collateral damages.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. So I'm not much of a techy when it comes to mobo components/parts, but it sounds to me like you guys are suggesting this board may take more effort to repair than it's worth?

I've seen a couple other threads on here now with the same board and same issue. From what I read, the 'inductor' next to the two blown capacitors will also need to be replaced. Is this something the guys at badcaps can do as well? MOSFETS too? I certainly am not skilled enough with a solder iron to do this repair work myself.

I'm scared to think other components could have fried. Safe to assume the processor could be a victim? I know my hard drives survived...hope the RAM/video card as well, but won't know until I repair/replace this mobo.

Comment

I've replaced the MOSFET's, caps, and the coil on a lot of these.....it revives maybe 25% of them. Not worth messing with, I won't even take them in for repair anymore. They were just a crap board.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            I've replaced the MOSFET's, caps, and the coil on a lot of these.....it revives maybe 25% of them. Not worth messing with, I won't even take them in for repair anymore. They were just a crap board.
            Ha! I submitted a request earlier today...I guess we can cancel that then.

Can I possibly place an order for the parts I would need to give it a shot myself? I assume I'd need the inductor, capacitors and MOSFET's. I have a soldering iron...but I'll need to look into getting the right solder and such.
            Last edited by ratlhead; 11-26-2011, 07:48 PM.

Comment

The parts affected are more likely for RAM or possibly PCI-E.
              Power comes from the large power connector.
              CPU power comes from the other power connector on the other side of the chipset from there and uses the MOSFETs located close to the CPU.
              - CPU isn't likely to be affected at all.

This board is unusual because Dell went with an nVidia chipset.
              Many nVidia chipsets are defective and break. [It's complicated, covered elsewhere.]
              I avoid them in general so I dunno which are okay and which are junk. [I have to look it up every time.]

You will learn a lot about mobos giving it a shot even if you don't fix it.
              "Worth it or not" is of course something you have to decide.

Given it's an nVidia chipset I'd probably scrap it.
              Last edited by PCBONEZ; 11-26-2011, 07:57 PM.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

I scavenged the coils off other junk boards, the FET's came from digikey (forgot the P/N, havent ordered any in a couple years), and the caps I have. I measured the inductance off a good coil with a Sencore LC102 (measures coils quite nicely), and then scavenged one off a crap board of similar size and within 20% of the original. They're easy to find.

The ones that went deeper than the fets, coil, and caps, I have no idea what's wrong with them beyond that. I never dug deeper. Beyond that, they went in the trash or back to their owners.

It's worth repairing, but the odds of actually making it work again are very slim....but certainly give it a shot if you want, you have nothing to lose and some interesting experience to gain (even if you fail).
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys...great forums and alot more response than I expected! Glad to see there's still good forums out there...

Unless I can just buy a set of the parts, I think I'd be way in over my head trying to do this myself. I don't want to spend alot on tools or bug the forums too much trying to figure everything out.

Such a shame that Dell did this to their customers...no replacements, crappy parts, etc. So done with them.

Comment

Dell stands for Doesn't Ever Last Long
                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by ratlhead View Post
                      Thanks for all the info guys...great forums and alot more response than I expected! Glad to see there's still good forums out there...

Unless I can just buy a set of the parts, I think I'd be way in over my head trying to do this myself. I don't want to spend alot on tools or bug the forums too much trying to figure everything out.

Such a shame that Dell did this to their customers...no replacements, crappy parts, etc. So done with them.
                      Never be afraid to bother us or ask questions, that's what the site is for.

Trust us on this one....the first time you take a motherboard, monitor, TV,PSU or whatever that's good for nothing but landfill and bring it back to life by recapping it, you'll be hooked! Next thing you know, you're rooting through people's trash, asking mom and pop computer stores if they have any boards with bad caps, and so on....
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                        Never be afraid to bother us or ask questions, that's what the site is for.

Trust us on this one....the first time you take a motherboard, monitor, TV,PSU or whatever that's good for nothing but landfill and bring it back to life by recapping it, you'll be hooked! Next thing you know, you're rooting through people's trash, asking mom and pop computer stores if they have any boards with bad caps, and so on....
                        Speaks truth. - Recapping is addictive.

Even basic questions aren't a problem here.
                        You'll probably learn more that you ever wanted to know!

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

Maybe I'm just lucky but I'm 2 for 2 with XPS600 boards. Didn't have any coils to scavenge so I removed the wire, cleaned the coil, rewrapped with magnet wire of the same diameter and replaced the caps. One of them is a file server for our techs and it has been up 24/7 for over a year with no issues.

Comment

Anyone willing to let me ship my board to them and pay a fair flat rate for an attempted repair?

Being a software/web developer, I'm not sure I want to dive into capping...code keeps me busy enough

Comment

A good share of the members are capable [and the owner of this forum does that for a living] but honestly given the nVidia problem chipset you would be better off starting fresh with a board having an Intel chipset.
                              - Significant possibility a repair won't work or will be short lived.
                              - Good money after bad kind of thing.
                              To go cheap find one that uses the same CPU and RAM.
                              Although, you have a grand 'excuse' to upgrade - and it might be a good idea.

It -looks like- a Dell proprietary layout [foot-print/hole pattern] which is a hassle because to use the old chassis you are limited to Dell boards with the same bolt and hole patterns.

This one 'looks like' it would fit and would be a substantial upgrade.
                              [You would need a new CPU and RAM too, and it has no PCI slots if you need those.
                              http://www.ebay.com/itm/280689118038

The Dell i3/i5/i7 boards in general look to be less expensive than the XPS 600 boards.

Where it ME:
                              I would find a socket 771 board and either mod the case or replace it.
                              L5420 Xeon Quad cores have dropped to about $50 used
                              2.5GHz 12MB 133 3 50watts 4-cores
                              Their Passmark score [for a single] is about 3725.
                              The low volt XEON "L"s typically Passmark slightly higher than the standard volt XEON "E"s because they run cooler.
                              The "L" hasn't been tested as a single so I am showing the "E" in the link.
                              http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_look...20+%40+2.50GHz
                              - And you could add another later if you ever felt wanting for performance:
                              http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=[Dual+CPU]+Intel+Xeon+L5420+%40+2.50GHz
                              [Note the E5420 dual just under the L5420 dual, that's typical of the low vs standard volt XEONs.]
                              That's A LOT of punch for a $50 CPU!
                              ~or~
                              Xeon 5148's were running like $10-$15 last I looked.
                              Comparable to C2D E6550 - but only 40 watts - and you can use two.
                              And to the peanut gallery:
                              This is where paying a little bit more for socket 771 [or just server] boards pays off later.
                              When the server farms start upgrading certain kick-butt CPU's get REAL cheap due to market flooding.
                              Been happening since at least Pentium Pro. Just have to keep your eyes open for when it hits.
                              Pardon my enthusiasm.
                              Just picked up a L5420 for $42 shipped - and I'm jazzed..
                              Last edited by PCBONEZ; 11-28-2011, 05:23 PM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

I'll take a crack at it if you like....just don't spread it around...
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

OK, I guess am going to revive this old thread, as I can't find the answer elsewhere. Topcat, do you remember the ratings for the toroid coil? I have this exact problem, I've replaced the caps (many thanks again to bonez and others for there help on that one), and this is the last component. It's completely fried, no chance of rewrapping it.

Comment

OCL: 0.18
                                    TOL: 20%
                                    DCR: 0.00145
                                    I rating: 18.00

Hope this can help get you jump-started. I have smoked four of these boards myself. Good Luck!
                                    - Cor

Comment

These are the pita of all boards to repair when they fail. They can be repaired but require so much time and effort finding the problems (most of the time its not the same problem per board) its not worth it.

Comment

yes results are variable.
                                        i will get 6 that all live even though that area looks like hell.
                                        then i get a few that look decent but the nvidia is shot.
                                        the losers are the ones with nvidia plague.its hit and miss.some i fixed 4 years ago and still going 24/7 and some work awhile and the nvidia gives up.

Comment

Working...
                                        X