• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement for NIKOS P3055LDG mosfet?

Replacement suggestions?

The AGP regulator on MSI PM8M3-V seems to be: NIKOS P3055LDG

This is, in short:
    TO-252 (DPAK) 25V, 50mOhms, 12A, Gate charge 15nC, Gate treshold 1.2V

...so, what better with same (pretty similar?) gate charge/treshold and possibly lower resistance when opened (50mOhms are a bit HIGH IMHO) could anyone suggest?
    "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
    "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Re: Replacement for NIKOS P3055LDG mosfet?

Looking at the IPS1011RPbF,
    it have 6V input (max. step down 28) witch is fine (input is 3.3V) but a 10mOhms, should do 18A and the rise time and shutoff time are simply uncomparable with 50uS and 330uS, compared to the 6nS and 20nS
    NIKOS owned!

Sadly, there is gate treshold 1.7V (a bit too high to replace a 1.2V) and also there is absolutely NO WORD about gate charge

That suxx. Something else is probably necessary
    "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
    "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

Semiconductor NCV8401
      42V, 23mOhms, 33A, rise time 41uS, shutoff time 164uS
      but gate treshold 1.8V
      https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...c3f00af34e.pdf

Infineon BTS 3142D
      42V, 28mOhms, 30A, rise time 60uS, shutoff time 60uS
      but gate treshold 1.7V
      Last edited by trodas; 11-08-2013, 02:26 PM.

Comment

ST Micro
        40V, 35mOhms, 12A, rise time 350nS, shutoff time 450nS
        gate treshold (forward on voltage) should be 0.8V, witch is pretty good
        gate charge is not listed there, but todal is 36.8nC
        https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...4d941a4f05.pdf

...that one could be it...?
        Last edited by trodas; 11-08-2013, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Bump?

Comment

Morning bump?

Comment

Good Morning - not many people about eh!
              Well I dont know what parameters are important to you and struggle generally
              comparing datasheets, but just to keep you company wonder if this would be any good. I assume you do not want to replace like with like?

http://html.alldatasheet.com/html-pd.../P1402CDG.html
              Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Not, much, true. And the NIKOS (tough I have no idea, if this is a good choice, as there was a claim, that the NIKOS specs are overrated a lot) you picked on is VERY good, much better that the one actually used:

NIKOS P1402CDG
                http://www.mediafire.com/?2cjv1vci7vq8zv8
                20V, 14mOhms, 45A, rise time 83nS, shutoff time 18nS
                gate treshold 0.75V, gate charge 17nC
                ...except for the rise time (6 to 83nS?!) ...

...but from this very interesting link posted by KptCrunch at HWCannucks forum:
                Vishay - MOSFETs - N-channel - DPAK (TO-252) package
                ...I choose this one:

Vishay SUD50N02-06P

20V, 6mOhms, 26A, rise time 10nS, shutoff time 24nS
                gate treshold 0.8V, gate charge 19nC

Even that at 4.5V the resistance is actually 9.5mOhms, then it is still far better that 50mOhms.
                Also the mosfet can operate at 175°C, witch is pretty high.
                While it is a bit slower (rise time 10 to 6, shut off time 20 do 24), the gate treshold 0.8V should compensate that a bit for the original is 1.2V... The slightly higher gate charge 19nC over 15nC should not be a problem.

I believe I found the perfect replacement, that is better than the original!
                Last edited by trodas; 11-09-2013, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Vishay SUD42N03-3m9P

30V, 4.5mOhms at 4.5V, 42A, rise time 10nS, shutoff time 35nS
                  gate treshold 1V, gate charge 67nC

Comment

Original: Nikos P3055LDG

25V, 50mOhms, 12A, rise time 6nS, shutoff time 20nS
                    gate charge 15nC, gate treshold 1.2V

Vishay SUD50N02-09P

20V, 17mOhms at 4.5V, 15A, rise time 10nS, shutoff time 25nS
                    gate charge 10.5nC, gate treshold 0.8V

(slightly slower, but good total gate charge as well, as sensitivity)

Vishay SUD50N02-06P

20V, 9,5mOhms at 4.5V, 21A, rise time 10nS, shutoff time 24nS
                    gate charge 19nC, gate treshold 0.8V

(more ampers, but also more gate charge )

That does not looks like very good, because all the capacitance must be charged in order to get it on. "1 Coulomb = 1 amp.second"
                    "That charge has to be "pumped" into and out of the gate capacitance."
                    http://electronics.stackexchange.com...e-current-is-0

Power MOSFET basic: https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...21a7cc1c83.pdf

Also I did not previously consider the capacitance of the mosfet
                    Nikos P3055LDG - 450pF
                    Vishay SUD50N02-09P - 250pF
                    Vishay SUD50N02-09P-E3 - 1300pF (so much for E3 version!)
                    Vishay SUD50N02-06P - 2550pF (!)
                    Vishay SUD50N02-06P - 2550pF (!)
                    Vishay SUD42N03-3m9P - 3535pF (!!!)
                    Last edited by trodas; 11-24-2013, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Two interesting documents:

Driving and Layout Design for Fast Switching Super-Junction MOSFETs

Low-Voltage Power MOSFETs Selector Guide

Especially this took my attention:
                      "The Rds(on) x Qg, Figure Of Merit (FOM) is generally considered the single most important indicator of MOSFET performance in Switching Mode Power Supplies (SMPS). Therefore, several new technologies have been developed to improve the Rds(on) x Qg FOM."

Where Rds is the resistance when opened and Qg is the total gate charge - witch means that I was right on the track, when suspecting that replacements with high Qg are useless.

Comment

Working...
                      X