Flaky Dell Precision 670

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flaky Dell Precision 670

My first post to this forum. Thanks Topcat, its great!

I have a Precision 670 which is suffering the dreaded Nichicon HN(M) disease. I have been reading about this issue for awhile because of the gx-270 minitowers we have. My 670 has spontaneously rebooted several times in the last week, and just seems "off its feed" if ya know what I mean So, yesterday I opened it up to check things out and lo I counted 26 badcaps out of about 50-hmmmm.

The caps in question are the HN(M) with many 2200uf 6.3V cans. None have spewed, luckily. The VRM sports a nice 16V, 1500uf Rubycon.

I thought you all might enjoy a couple of pics. I will be unable to do anything with this for awhile, but when I get to it I am sure I will be checking back for help/advice/moral support! I answered "Yes" to all the preliminary questions except for the 6-layer PCB thing . Any and all advice appreciated.

Dell Precision 670; MoBo revision sticker says A01.
    Delivered: August 2004
    Service Code: ends in 51
    Dual 2.8 GHz Zeon, 800FSB; 1MB L2
    2 GB DDR2
    ATI V3100 128MB

Regards,
    OldBugger _._. _ _._
    Attached Files

Re: Flaky Dell Precision 670

You'll be fine, just make sure you get ALL the nichicons in there, even if they haven't popped yet, unless you want to go through this again later on.

Comment

I see swollen tops on some of the VRM caps, left side.

Replace everything from 470uF and up.
      If the power supply is > 3 years old, consider recapping it, or replacing it.

Comment

check the one electrolytic capacitor that is on the VRM controller card, it is usually also bad.

Comment

and shut it off till you fix it.its worth some new rubycon mcz.tc has em.

Comment

Recommended replacements in order of preference are Rubycon MCZ, Nichicon HZ and *NEW* Nichicon HN. (it was a manufacturing screw up that has been fixed)

Stay away from United Chemi Con KZJ. Failure rates are higher than they should be and Im uncertain if its been fixed.

Its funny to see a couple of Panasonic caps in there....those will probably outlive the machine!

If you recap the PSU, use Nichicon HC, HD, HE or PW, Panasonic FC or FM or United Chemi Con KY or KZE.
            Last edited by hardwareguy; 01-10-2010, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Here ya go.

https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=11
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

I have a precision 670, but my motherboard is different from yours. I just replaced all 5 (there are 5 total) 2200uf, 6.3v caps which were bulging. None of the 1800uf ones were bulged, though. Got an order in so I can replace all of those little guys, but for now, it is running fine, with the exception of a high pitched whine from the PSU, which is also going to get recapped once my new caps get in. Anyway, my board has 820uf polys next to the cpus instead of the 2200uf (i think) that are in your pictures. Are there different versions of the motherboard that were made?
                Left my camera at work, but I can post pics tomorrow if anyone wants to see them.

Comment

For some reason, the pics didn't come out clear, even though they were really clear on the little screen on my camera, so I took them again with better lighting so I didnt need to use the flash. My board has 820uf 4V caps by each CPU.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I post a little info about the Solid caps here, in short Dell made a design change during the production of these boards so the later revs got Solid capacitors...

Post info on your 1800uF caps, they could be just fine and don't need replacing if you are lucky...

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5974
                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Good to know I got a later rev board. Too bad it wont take the dual core xeons, tho... :/
                      They are Rubycom MCZ. 1800uf, 6.3V

Also, since I had forgotten I was posting here, I accidentally started a new thread about my power supply: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9460
                      Last edited by lazychris2000; 04-18-2010, 02:25 AM. Reason: forgot to add something

Comment

My Precision 670 is about 6 years old. I did find most of the 1800uF and 2200 uF caps either buldging OR actual physically leaking. Was a painstaking task removing ALL of them (43 in all). Do not attempt this without a good desoldering tool. Only 2 were actually showing good in a cap meter. Most of the 1800uF were reading 300-400, and continued to drop in value. After replacing all 43 caps, machine is now working fine. I recently repaired my kids computer which would fail during bootup. That was a different brand computer. Goes to prove what my electronics teacher told me years ago.....90% of electronic failures are cap related.

Comment

Welcome to Badcaps gottagojoe and congrats on reviving your nice Dell Precision WorkStation
                          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I also have a Dell Precision 670 that had some swollen, and some leaking capacitors on my motherboard. I replaced all of the swollen and or leaking caps with new ones with the same specs. The capacitor on my VRM didn't show any signs of being bad, but my error lights showed the error, "A possible VRM 0 and VRM 1 failure has occurred." So, I replaced the VRM module with a known working module and it still did not work. I also checked the power supply; there were no bad caps there either, but just in case, I swapped power supplies with a known working power supply. Does anyone think that I need to just replace all of the rest of the capacitors?

Comment

Working...
                            X