Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toshibia 40rv525u Green Blinking light and questions about Caps!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshibia 40rv525u Green Blinking light and questions about Caps!!

Use this mode and retest the diodes.
    Attached Files
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by ComputerGeek View Post
      Ok I am not sure how to measure ohms properly, I thought I recall younot being able to hold in onthere for too long
      With power off and device unplugged, you can measure resistance for as long as you want. You never measure resistance with power on. See this thread for why.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=207859

If you are measuring amps, some multimeters caution that you can't measure for more than xyz seconds (typically 15 seconds). Some really cheap multimeters don't have fuses on the amps jack. Remember, we typically never require an amps measurement in 99.99% cases.

The biggest problem newbies have with multimeters is the interpretation of the results. They get confused with "1", "0L", and report "no reading". This is especially apparent when asking them to check for a shorted component.

tom66 is quick learner wrt to dealing with newbies. He now writes his multimeter responses in similar fashion to mine. I know he participates in other forums where people have more experience and he would never write responses in that fashion.
      Last edited by retiredcaps; 01-08-2012, 04:24 PM.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
        With power off and device unplugged, you can measure resistance for as long as you want. You never measure resistance with power on. See this thread for why.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=207859

If you are measuring amps, some multimeters caution that you can't measure for more than xyz seconds (typically 15 seconds). Some really cheap multimeters don't have fuses on the amps jack. Remember, we typically never require an amps measurement in 99.99% cases.

The biggest problem newbies have with multimeters is the interpretation of the results. They get confused with "1", "0L", and report "no reading". This is especially apparent when asking them to check for a shorted component.

tom66 is quick learner wrt to dealing with newbies. He now writes his multimeter responses in similar fashion to mine. I know he participates in other forums where people have more experience and he would never write responses in that fashion.
        I notice though that when I hold the probes on a resistor or something similar the resistance starts going down, I believe because the component gets Saturated with the test voltage, Am I incorrect in thinking this?

When do I take the reading when the Number stops moving, when I first put it on?

Thanks!

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
        Use this mode and retest the diodes.
        So is this what you want me to test?

So do 12 tests on each one is that correct? Do the 6 I did but then switch leads like

D203 Top in Picture,

R1-2B,
        R1-3B,
        R2-1B,
        R2-3B,
        R3-1B,
        R3-2B,

B1-2R,
        B1-3R,
        B2-1R,
        B2-3R,
        B3-1R,
        B3-2R,

B=Black Probe, R= Red Probe

Is That Right?

Comment

Also, when I do keep it on there it goes out of the 2k ohm range what should I do?

Comment

I notice though that when I hold the probes on a resistor or something similar the resistance starts going down,
            In circuit readings are not accurate due to other surrounding components. If you take a resistor and measure it out of circuit, a good multimeter will find display a correct and stable reading in about 1 second or less.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

In circuit readings are not accurate due to other surrounding components. If you take a resistor and measure it out of circuit, a good multimeter will find display a correct and stable reading in about 1 second or less.
              Yeah I usually test out of the circuit, I don't know were I got that info from Probably my uncle. Anyway, I just tried it again and it worked fine.

^^^Is the post above correct or my thoughts on testing?

Comment

For a diode that looks like this -><-, think of two separate diodes in physical package.

Pin 1 is left, pin 2 is the middle, pin 3 is right. Set your multimeter on diode test. Measure

Black on pin 1, red on pin 2. Record reading.
                Red on pin 1, black on pin 2. Record reading.

Black on pin 2, red on pin 3. Record reading.
                Red on pin 2, black on pin 3. Record reading.

Thus, you will have 4 readings for these types of diodes which makes sense if you think of them as two separate "normal" diodes.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

OK, Here goes,

D203
                  b1-r2 1422
                  r1-b2 177
                  b2-r3 177
                  r2-b3 1422

D202
                  b1-r2 quick beep then starts at 1000 then climbs out of range
                  r1-b2 230
                  b2-r3 230
                  r2-b3 quick beep then starts at 1000 then climbs out of range

D201
                  b1-r2 quick beep then starts at 1000 then climbs out of range
                  r1-b2 quick beep then stays at 230
                  b2-r3 quick beep then stays at 230
                  r2-b3 quick beep then starts at 1000 then climbs out of range

Comment

This is the order I did them in.

Thanks!
                    Attached Files

Comment

D201, D202, and D203 all test okay according to your measurements.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

In re-reading post @29, tom66 wants pins 1-3 and vice versa 3-1 tested as well.

So add the following readings for all 3 diodes.

black on pin 1, red on 3
                        red on pin 1, black on 3.
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Ok here you are,

D203
                          b1-r3 Connected Beeps
                          r1-b3 Connected Beeps

D202
                          b1-r3 Connected Beeps
                          r1-b3 Connected Beeps

D201
                          b1-r3 Connected Beeps
                          r1-b3 Connected Beeps

Comment

D203
                            b1-r3 Connected Beeps
                            What does connected beeps mean? What is the actual reading on the display?
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

What does connected beeps mean? What is the actual reading on the display?
                              Sorry wasn't clear The meter just makes a constant beep like when you touch the probes together. The reading is 001 Thanks!

Comment

The reading is 001 Thanks!
                                The reason I'm so picky is that diode/continuity varies greatly on multimeters. Some cheap multimeters will beep "continuous" if the resistance is less than 1800 ohms. Most, however, will beep "continuous" for less than 50 ohms.

So reporting a beep leaves us guessing as to what the real measurement is.

Same goes for the voltage used on diode testing. Some show "0L" or "1" when voltage goes over 2 V. Others use 3 V for the threshold.
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The reason I'm so picky is that diode/continuity varies greatly on multimeters. Some cheap multimeters will beep "continuous" if the resistance is less than 1800 ohms. Most, however, will beep "continuous" for less than 50 ohms.

So reporting a beep leaves us guessing as to what the real measurement is.

Same goes for the voltage used on diode testing. Some show "0L" or "1" when voltage goes over 2 V. Others use 3 V for the threshold.
                                  Ok No Problem I understand, I have Been using the Craftsman Meter BTW

Now what?

Thanks!

Comment

What Should I do now?

Comment

The readings you show are most likely good for the PSU.

Post a close up of the connector going from the main board to PSU, on both ends. If there is a label next to the connector, make it easy to see in the picture. We have not established if PSON is good.
                                      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Sorry for the delay in Responding, Here are the Pictures the only label is on the power board and the pin out is,

1,2 Gnd
                                        3,4 24v+
                                        5,6,7 Gnd
                                        8,9 12v+
                                        10,11,12 5v+
                                        13 Pwr
                                        14 ACD
                                        15 D1m
                                        16 Inv
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Check the Pwr pin.

Comment

Working...
                                          X