Siemens 840D PCU50 Industrial Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Siemens 840D PCU50 Industrial Computer

Here are two systems from work, one quite a bit nicer than the other.
    The first is from an ADIGE LT702D Tube LASER machine.

Both systems use Nichicon HM 1500uF 10v 10x16mm capacitors from 2001 and 2002, since they see allot of uptime (generally 24/5 atleast) they have failed.
    Though we do have another system not pictured where all capacitors had datecode 0213 and they are all fine...
    So the Nichicon HM/HN problem is probably dependant on which production batch the capacitors came from...
    The mainboards have marking A5E00124368 and the whole PC A5E00145835 or 6FC5210-0DF20-0AA0
    The systems are Windows NT4 With a Celeron 566Mhz CPU and 128MB SODIMM RAM.
    They can (and will be) upgraded with another 256MB stick of RAM, Kingston KVR133X64SC3/256 works well.
    The CPU will be upgraded with a Pentium III-S Tualatin 1400Mhz CPU.
    (compatibility may of course depend on what BIOS is installed in the system, and of course it needs to be a PCU50 and not older...)
    I replaced the capacitors with Samxon GC 1500uF 6.3v, I did check the voltage with a multimeter so I knew it was ok to reduce the voltage rating;
    The 7x capacitors near the CPU see VCORE (1.75v with this CPU)
    The 5x capacitors near the PCI slot see 5v (so they are for bulk filtering)
    And the lone capacitor by the SODIMM slots see VDIMM (3.3v)

The geniuses that designed it put a large 120mm industrial fan sucking outside air through the cabinet it is located in.
    Can you imagine what the dust created by LASER cutting in steel does to computer mainboards and powersupplies? Let me tell you; it's lovely!

I think it is fortunate this is a 24v DC/DC PSU, had it been a 230v AC/DC we would probably have started a small fire inside the machine!
    After we do the old tried and true washing sink + water treatment, throw in some YES and a toothbrush its like new, after like 10 mins of scrubbing to remove the crap!
    (Note that all pictures can be clicked for a larger version, and you need to be logged in to see them).

The treatment for the mainboard is the same, it was so filthy I did not bother removing the bad capacitors before it's bath!
    As you can see it looks like new after it's bath too, and the new Samxon GC capacitors looks quite improved vs the old bloated Nichicon HM aswell

Next up is the second system, this is from an ADIGE-SYS Adilas flatbed LASER machine, unlike the other machine they did not put a fan sucking outside air through the cabinet.
    So after 6 years there was only a small bit of dust around the CPU heatsink, the powersupply looked like new! So this system did not need the water treatment
    Notice that two of the capacitors in the first picture are fine, they have a datecode of 0213 unlike the ones that are bloated which have datecode 0143.
    This also proves that as long there are good capacitors installed the outside 120mm fan is not needed.
    Since even those two lone capacitors survived the huge loading they received when the capacitors around them failed!
    Because of this I will disable the outside 120mm fan on the other machines...

Attached Files
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 04-29-2016, 02:00 PM. Reason: Offsite images uploaded due to problems with host
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Re: Siemens 840D PCU50 Industrial Computer

Nice job there Per Hansson.

Those boards look like new now!

Comment

here is one that had 04 dates on the hn/hm
      Attached Files

Comment

i see rubycon... at least it has good ones now.

my emachines t5026 mobo has 3 nicicon HN caps that are copper and black. machine origanally bought in 2005. person had used it with the stock bestec psu, which was too burnt up to fix. board is stable, no visible failed caps. its hard to tell the dates since 2 have the codes blocked by a connector, etc. the one i can tell had an 04 in it but i am not sure on how to translate the codes.

the old owner did a lot of heavy gaming on it. had an aluminum brick for a cpu cooler. had ash everywhere inside (he might have been a pothead... NASTY!... or maybe it was stuff drifted from the failed psu). the ash was same color as what was charred everywhere from the burnt up psu. a resistor inside overheated a few jamicons and when one leaked outta the bottom, it must have lit up based on how burnt up the cap was.

am i ok or do i need to recap?
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Any body can help me I need to know out put voltage pinout of PCU50 power supply.
          Thanks a lot

Comment

Hi, is there anybody who can share the schematic of this motherboard?

I´m having boot problems with it.

I think it is a problem with reset circuit or embedded controller. (FDC37B727)

Any help will be appreciated.

Comment

Hi

I have a motherboard from Siemens SINUMERIK PCU 50 566Mhz
              And I want to know the value of a particular motherboard resistor
              There is someone who could help me with that?

I upload a picture of the motherboard with the placemark.

Thank you
              Attached Files

Comment

Small update here, Siemens realized the problems with the Nichicon HM brand and switched to a new capacitor series:
                Unfortunately for them and thankfully for me they choose UCC KZG
                I recapped one this week and very interestingly it had different datecodes just like one of the previous systems I had recapped.
                On that one only one datecode of Nichicon HM equaled bad caps...

I don't know how to decode UCC KZG datecodes but as you can see the caps with issue are the two ones to the left in the picture.
                They are marked:
                Code:
                7(T)
                2Z
                And the good ones are marked:
                Code:
                7(T)
                1Y

Originally posted by m_ghaff2000 View Post
                Any body can help me I need to know out put voltage pinout of PCU50 power supply.
                Thanks a lot
                I attached a photo of the PSU where I've written the voltages on the connector, it's the same on the underside of the connector...
                Originally posted by jackbh View Post
                I want to know the value of a particular motherboard resistor
                The resistor has text "472" and measures 4.72KΩ
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Per Hansson; 10-27-2015, 07:33 AM. Reason: Changed link to point directly at relevant post, not just thread.
                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Well, the bad HMs and HNs are kind of inconsistent like KZJs and KZGs (and like all bad capacitors). In the worst case scenario, they'd fail in a year by just sitting there. Best case scenario, they fail 10 years later...

I don't know how to decode UCC KZG datecodes but as you can see the caps with issue are the two ones to the left in the picture.
                  They are marked:
                  Code:
                  7(T)
                  2Z
                  And the good ones are marked:
                  Code:
                  7(T)
                  1Y
                  Here's how you decode UCC datecodes:

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...ee3c51807e.pdf

So those would be manufactured on January 25th, 2007 and February 26th, 2007 (Factory "T"? All I know is that K = Indonesia and L = Lansing, North Calorina, USA). And the good ones could fail without showing it like many a KZG does.

Comment

hi , my power supply of PCU50 is dead and when i connecting it to 24v dc source it beeps for short circuit, so i have been thinking about the possibilty of powering up the motherboard with a PC power suppy. does anyone know if it's possible? thanks.

Comment

I made the following picture with pinouts when replacing all KZG caps in a PCU50 some months ago, hope it helps.
                      Obviously I take no responsibility about the accuracy of this picture, and weather yours is the same or not!
                      Note that the picture was also in my previous post above, but I color coded it with the ATX spec colors now too...

Attached Files
                      Last edited by Per Hansson; 07-20-2015, 04:05 AM.

Comment

thanks for your reply,
                        i want to buy new power module for my pcu50 but first i have to be sure that everything else is ok, i tried to connect it to an ATX according to your diagram but only the fans started and i didnt have any vga output, so my guess is those two pins between the 5v and gnd are some kind of pulse that let the machine boot up only with it's own power supply.
                        Last edited by behnam92; 07-20-2015, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Measure continuity with a multi-meter between the pins to confirm if you are right.

Edit: found the following old photo in my stash, it confirms two wires going away possibly for some sense logic...

Attached Files
                          Last edited by Per Hansson; 07-20-2015, 06:10 AM.

Comment

thanks again , i couldnt find this power supply in my country so i'm searching for one from abroad i just wanted to be sure that other components like motherboard cpu .. are ok and it seems there is no way to check them without the modular power supply.

Comment

following my last posts , i've bought a used power supply from china and in the first day it worked and the system booted up , but now i have a new problem i have black screen the cpu fan is working and i checked the power supply outputs and it seemed fine, so does anyone have this problem and knows a solution? i'm really frustrated now i thought that my problems solved afer changing the power supply

Comment

foto of the board?

Comment

There is a well known issue with the northbridge not making good contact on the Socket 370 boards.
                                  Siemens even released a mechanical "fix" for these boards, I've attached a picture of how it looks.
                                  And of course the capacitors could be bad too...
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                    There is a well known issue with the northbridge not making good contact on the Socket 370 boards.
                                    Siemens even released a mechanical "fix" for these boards, I've attached a picture of how it looks.
                                    And of course the capacitors could be bad too...
                                    my board north bridge isnt in the same position as you showed but when it arrived to me the heat sink on top of it was detached and stocked behind those caps so i put it back with some silicon past and applied some pressure.
                                    here's is the picture of my board and from the look of the caps and back of the board it seemed that they've changed before .

Attached Files
                                    Last edited by Per Hansson; 03-09-2019, 06:11 AM. Reason: Offsite image uploaded

Comment

Your northbridge is in exactly the same position.
                                      The heatsink is not Siemens original.
                                      The bracket for the Northbridge chipset (VIA Twister S3) is called A5E01040392
                                      But it can not be installed with that heatsink there...
                                      Try applying some pressure to it by hand and see if it will boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                        Your northbridge is in exactly the same position.
                                        The heatsink is not Siemens original.
                                        The bracket for the Northbridge chipset (VIA Twister S3) is called A5E01040392
                                        But it can not be installed with that heatsink there...
                                        Try applying some pressure to it by hand and see if it will boot.
                                        i applied pressure by hand and no luck it's still the same ,
                                        i suspect something else maybe going on too, you see as i told you before i tried to turn on the board with a normal pc power supply and by that try i realized that without the "power good signal"from it's original power supply only the fans would turn on and no booting up going to happen , so if i had some oscilloscope to check that signal from the power supply it would be good too right?
                                        but if you're sure that it's from the north bridge i can use a heater and some pressure to see that if it'll work or not .

Comment

Working...
                                        X