Acer P235H / Gateway FHX2300 Monitor power supply ILPI-129 problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer P235H / Gateway FHX2300 Monitor power supply ILPI-129 problems

I used 3 acer P235H 23" monitors for Eyefinity up until one of them started going out on me. A few times when it turned on it started flickering on one side, but then stopped as it warmed up. Finally it gave up the ghost and wouldnt stop flickering. Here is a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpqbBXcQro

I don't have the money to replace all three monitors, so id figure id try fixing it instead. i pulled it apart and listened to it during operation with the power supply out. While it flickers it makes noise so i figured i'd look to the output transformers first. it was flickering more on one side than the other, so i unplugged the transformer that powered that side, and it stopped making the noise. So first i figured this mean that perhaps the transformer had gone bad. I ordered one off ebay and waited a couple weeks till it showed up.

When i first soldered it in, i did a somewhat messy job and soldered all the input leads for each side together. The monitor powered up fine and did not flicker, but the transformer itself made a very high-pitched whine. I cleaned up the solder then re-assembled the monitor to see if having it together would make the sound bearable, but cleaning the solder points caused it to flicker again (which tells me the transformer isn't getting clean power)

Now, I had been consulting with someone who told me to check the Capacitors, which i did. The capacitors directly powering the output transformers are SAMXON 270uf50V. Samxon is listed as a good cap manufacturer, and none of these caps appear to have blown.

However, The main AC Input Capacitor and several of the other capacitors (mainly for the built in speaker circuit) are Su'Scon, which are on the Bad Cap list here on the forum. At this point I am not going to worry about the Speaker circuit caps, i dont need them anyways, but i want to replace the Main Input Cap (150uf 450v) and put the old transformer back in and see what happens.

there is one slight problem with all this. I'm not in the mood for waiting on this anymore, so i want to get a Solid Capacitor from a seller in the US. I want to get a RubyCon replacement capacitor, however, all of RubyCon's offerings use short snap-in leads, and i need something with long bendable leads for a 90deg orientation.

I was thinking i could solder leads into the PCB, then solder them to the legs of the Rubycon capacitor, but i don't know how safe that is, and i wanted to ask you guys what you think.

The reason i have Gateway FHX2300 listed in the title as well is that Acer Bought Gateway in 2007/8. My monitor was made in 2009 and the Gateway FHX2300 shares the same Power supply PCB (ILPI-129)

Here are some pics of the PCB:
    Front, as you can see, one of the transformers was removed in this picture. Green caps are Samxon, brown and black are su'scon:

Back of PCB:

Thanks

Re: Acer P235H / Gateway FHX2300 Monitor power supply ILPI-129 problems

To get more members viewing this I suggest you delete the current pics and repost them (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) using the manage attachments button, which is found by clicking "go advanced" under quick reply.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

whoops, this is in the wrong section, please move if necessary

Comment

I read in another thread that using a Capacitor within 20% tolerance on the uf rating should work, and i found a listing for a Rubycon Capacitor 450V120UF that used right-angle leads and is the same size as the capacitor currently on the PCB. It should be here within a week, Will report back when i get it.

Comment

Hi, I have the same problem with my P235H. Although mine starts out fine everytime, but starts flickering after it warms up.

At this point I only replaced the major cap, without result. I was actually thinking of replacing the transformers, when I found your post.

I'm happy to hear how you'll be doing with the new cap, and if that doesn't work, what your next step is.

Comment

hello i have the same problems with an Acer v233h that share the same power suppy ilpi-129
            i have replaced all the caps in the psu and also replaced the mp1009es.
            but stil the same problem flickering dim background light.
            it is an trange problem because sometimes i have the problem and sometimes not.
            sometimes the monitor works for a few hours without problem .
            and sometimes i got the noise from the power supply and you can see the noise in the screen also.(flickering)
            i have searched the whole internet about this problem but i cannot find the right solution.
            but i think this must be an common problem with this power supply.
            i hope someone can help again with this ?

Best regards ,
            alcomys

Comment

I know this is an old thread but wanted to add to it if someone else ever has this issue. I had a problem with the FHX2300 too with the display cutting out and on.

I tore into it and found the transformers would buzz and hiss like they were possessed.

My board looked perfect, but I checked the caps with an ESR tester anyways, they were fine. I took a chance and decided that it was probably the CCFLs.

The CCFL tubes pull far more juice than they do originally when they get near to their end of life. This causes a few issues but the main thing is that it starts burning out the connections at the tips of the CCFLs....this causes that transformer buzzing and the intermittent cut-outs and flicker.

After replacing all 4 CCFLs, the monitor is perfect again.

Comment

Now the topic is even older, but it maybe still actual for someone.

I had the similar issue with an Acer V233H monitor. I changed the capacitors, but the problem did not disappear: after switching on, it buzzed and fizzled and after a couple of seconds, switched off to standby state.

I refreshed all the soldering on PCB near the inverter transformators, connectors an capacitors and it solved this problem.

Comment

Dear All,
                  Please check caps around those UC, also values of resistance.
                  Check datasheet of UC because sometimes voltage are out of range due to bad components tolerance.
                  In end refresh solders around UC.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi guys! I know that this is an old post but i need your help!
                    I have a used monitor with an ILPI-129 Rev.D and someone changed the caps...but idk if they are wrong! Does anyone have a scheme or another mb to send me the exact list of them? Thanks a lot!

Comment

Working...
                    X