• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

My name is Baruch
    I am a ham radio operator from Israel
    I build R F amplifiers up to a kw level all solid state
    I am an EE by education .Got my masters in Ann Arbor Mich back in 1982
    I am repairing LCD screens once in a while and I find this forum very hepful.
    hope to donate my knowledge to you all!

Comment

Hello everyone,

I found this site while looking for repair information on a Gateway monitor. I found much useful information posted by PlainBill and Retiredcaps and I owe them many thanks for helping others which in turn helped me. I originally thought that the problem was the capacitors but I soon found out different. The problem with the monitor was a SMD resistor that acted as an “open” under load but would test good when the board was cold. Anyway I have learned a lot and hope to learn more as I enjoy making dead devices live again.

Comment

Hello Everyone

I joined this forum to learn more about diagnosing problems and replacing parts as opposed to replacing equipment. I have an automotive background where I worked 25 years in a shop where the motto was fix it but don't spend any money(our customers were mostly younger people with not alot of money). Repaired alot of controllers and fuel injection components with component level repairs. Now that I have entered the IT world I find myself wanting to fix devices rather than replace them. All of my electronics training has been by corresponence and self study including my Cisco training so I could really use the benefits of professional diagnostic techniques.

Comment

Hey!

I'm a college student looking to become a little more handy and widen my skill base. I'm extremely new to electronics, but I have this incredible urge to strip things down and, clean'em, fix'em, and put them back better than they were before.

I have very little experience so I'm hoping to get some good tips and suggestions from established members.

My first project? Fix a Samsung SyncMaster 245bw that my aunt gave to me. The monitor get's power, you can tell by the lights on the monitor, but the display stays a solid black.

I noticed there is a thread that deals with this exact problem so, right after I'm done introducing myself, I'm going to go over there and try to get an idea of where to start. I'm super excited to get started on this and really want to buy some parts from RadioShack to get this well underway!

Thanks all!

Comment

Originally posted by DetectiveBasil View Post
            want to buy some parts from RadioShack
            Not usually recommended as a place to get low ESR capacitors, which are usually what's required

Why not buy from the Badcaps.net store ? - and keep this forum going
            better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Hi, my name is Barry im a electronics beginner and i am from Louisiana. I am looking forward to helping and contributing any knowledge i know to the forums.

Comment

Hello,

I've joined because I have (2) Hanns-G HG281 Monitors that are showing signs of bad capacitors.
                I put this desktop together in 2008 and the dual monitors are both failing in different ways, flickering and intermittent blackouts.
                I ran them for years at full brightness, not realizing they had heating problems.
                I've ordered replacement capacitor kits for both the main boards and the power supply boards.
                I'm a first timer at soldering, but I have a friend that is good at it that has the tools.
                I plan to post photos and updates on my repair progress.

Questions:

1. Should I post my progress here or start a new discussion?
                2. Is it possibly the main board on my monitor is burned out from overheating and not the capacitors? Per a users comment I examined the board and one corner does appear darker. None of the caps appear swollen.

Thank you and I am glad for the help,

Ethan

Comment

Hello everyone. I am primarily a computer hardware tech but I enjoy fixing any electronics that I think I can. I have repaired quite a few monitors especially when it is obviously a bad cap.

Comment

Hello, my name is John and I am a new member who stumbled upon this community when doing web search for troubleshooting a Sony Bravia 40" TV problem. I do not have an electrical background but do work for a Contract Manufacturer of PCB assemblies. I was lucky enough to troubleshoot my parent's Samsung 46" TV which ended up needing some Caps replaced which I had one of the Engineers here replace for me. I was hoping to do the same kind of thing with the Sony TV. I enjoy all types of activities including riding my motorcycle and taking piano lessons. Looking forward to visiting this site often.

Comment

Hi, I'm Pete, an EE who also likes to repair and build equipment.
                      I happen to have some test equipment that requires an ISA slot so I just
                      put a NOS Intel SE440BX motherboard in an old chassis with a 1 GHz PIII.
                      Control program is DOS based and works fine in a window under win98.
                      Old Abit KT7 motherboard had bad caps but I didn't bother to change them
                      since I got the NOS Intel board for $20!

Comment

Hello to all,
                        i came across this forum googling some much needed information about monitor faults, and realized that this is a great and high skilled community that I want to be a part of
                        My name is Miloš, I am from Serbia, Belgrade, working in IT support.
                        Looking forward to learn and help others if I can.

Comment

Hello everyone. my name is robert and Im from mexico.
                          I have joined because I believe in component level repair not only change modules, I like make failure analisis with shematics.
                          I would like help and contributing on this forum.
                          sorry about my english, hope you understand.

Comment

Greetings everyone! My name is Sammy and I'm from the Chicago area. I'm in the automotive restoration and customizing trade but I've been an electronics hobbyist for almost 40 years. I was Googling a monitor that I just acquired (of course it doesn't work), and I stumbled upon this site. Wow, what a cool deal going on here and some very knowledgeable people! I read a few threads and learned a bunch of new tricks and said, "That's it, I have to be part of this!". I hope I will be able to add input as well! I'm happy to be aboard!!

Comment

Greetings from Finland! I've found so much great information here for my electronics hobby so it's right about time to join this great community.

Comment

Hello I found this forum looking for an issue I had with a new monitor and it was the only mention I saw of the same monitor with the same issue, and it seems like a nice and helpful place!

Comment

Hi im new i dont know much but I like to read the posts.I think i have some bad caps on a motherboard. Ill try replacing them.

Comment

Hi everybody,

this is FreeANT, Italian passport and danish heart

My education is electronic engineering, but I got involved with IT straight away (don't know how, don't ask) and going on like that since 1981, back when in order to move your "personal computer" you had to spend some time at the gym before
                                    However, I'm a bit of both and I like mingling things, mostly through Arduinos.

I've found the forum after I got the "2 seconds to black" issue on a brand new LG w2246 and found retiredcaps' Guide extremely interesting and well put. Problem not solved yet, but I'm not giving in.

I am not sure how much help I will be here; but for sure, whenever I see something I can actually help with, I won't be the one that pulls back.

Thanks for the hospitality and have a good day y'all.
                                    /freeant

Comment

Hello,
                                      As a new member...

Comment

Hello Everyone! My name is loekakane I was looking for a fix for a gateway MA7 power problem and found this forum. I am a radar technician been with the same company for 18 years got my training from the navy, just retired from the reserves, so happy for that! I just wanted to say a special thanks to filesponge for his post and his pics can't wait to get this laptop up and running!

Comment

Hi everyone! My name is Bogdan aka NorIshoR = Cloudy, I`m a IT Tehnician and I have medium to advanced knowledge in electronics. I arrived here from a google search while I was searching something related to 4825P MosFET. I hope that I`ll find here a solution to HP nc8430 power related problem and also help other members with my knowledge gathered in over 14 years of computer servicing. Thank you all for your wonderfull work around here.

Comment

Working...
                                          X