Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Instruments/tools needed for TV repair

Originally posted by Jasgriff View Post
    That fluke is looking like it will go cheap. Get Budm to buy it for you.
    It always looks cheap until the very last second when snipers come in.

Now these were good deals that expired today. A little fast orange or gojo and the holsters will look like new.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360452266881

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360452260738
    Last edited by retiredcaps; 04-27-2012, 06:50 PM. Reason: grammar
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

PS. The Fluke 179 isn't on my shopping list unless it is really really cheap (like $50).
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Why is that? That's what I wanted to buy, but in the last moment I found the 85-v.
        On the 170 class the holster is not removable.

Comment

Since we are talking tools/instruments here, what kind of soldering stations do you guys have.
          I have purchased the Kendall 899D and it's almost great, but when I need to remove a cap with a bigger solder, or the trace is pretty big, it handles it pretty bad.
          That station that I have purchased is mostly for the heat gun anyway.
          I'm looking at the Weller WESD51, what do you think about this, or could you recommend something around that ballpark? I'm kind of eyeballing the Hakko 951, but it's a bit expensive. I like it digital.

Comment

Originally posted by tibimakai View Post
            Why is that? That's what I wanted to buy, but in the last moment I found the 85-v.
            On the 170 class the holster is not removable.
            There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Fluke 170 series.

Given what you were going to spend, $150 for used Fluke 179, and what you did spend, $250 for new Fluke 87V, I think the latter is a better deal because it has more features and you get the warranty.
            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I have purchased the Kendall 899D and it's almost great, but when I need to remove a cap with a bigger solder, or the trace is pretty big, it handles it pretty bad.
              Get a 3.2mm chisel tip for it and try desoldering again.
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by Jasgriff View Post
                That fluke is looking like it will go cheap.
                It was $100 when you posted, but ended at $152.50.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I have purchased the Kendall 899D
                  http://danshardware.wordpress.com/20...l-899d-review/

Did you get these?

http://danshardware.files.wordpress....2-21-41-42.jpg

If yes, use the bigger tips for desoldering.
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

So that is my problem, that I'm using a to small tip? If I remember well I'm using a 2.6mm one.
                    I will get one and try it out before I get another station. At work we have an old Weller and with that I can unsolder anything with a sharp pointy tip.

Comment

I have a 1.6mm not a 2.6mm.

Comment

I have a 1.6mm not a 2.6mm.
                        Start at 28:26 into this video and see how the tip size makes a difference.

http://www.eevblog.com/2011/07/02/ee...torial-part-2/
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I use 2.6~3mm tip for de-soldering as well on my good old Weller soldering station.
                          Never stop learning
                          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I'm looking at the Weller WESD51,
                            http://www.eevblog.com/forum/product...ering-station/
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                              It was $100 when you posted, but ended at $152.50.
                              I thought that it might creep up in price.

I would love to get hold of the fluke 87v next. I'm pretty sure I should really be looking at an oscilloscope before buying a second fluke multi meter though.
                              Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
                              Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Comment

UNBELIEVABLE!!!! $20 sold for working Fluke 87V.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330725073380

If the seller meant $200, I wonder if he HAS to sell it for $20?
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Is that for real? How can it go for that low?
                                  Never stop learning
                                  Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Maybe he didn't know what he is selling.
                                    I don't mind paying more, at least I will know that nobody abused it, I have the lifetime warranty and it's brand new and tomorrow I will have it.
                                    In my opinion if you can afford a new meter then buy the new one. Instruments are tools in which you want to trust.

Comment

He probably meant to sell it for more. The guy knew how to get it calibrated so he cant be a total idiot / not know what quality it was. He also listed it as great condition and with RMS with some excalmations so seems to have known well what it was / does.

Unless there is chinese fakes or something, and the seller is scamming whoever bought it.
                                      Fixed so far 12 lcd's , 1 plasmas, 5 monitors, 0 dlp's (plan to keep the dlps at 0). and 3 atx power supplies, and 2 motherboards.

Comment

I have got Mike's ESR meter yesterday(Thanks Mike!) and I have measured some caps with it and I'm a bit confused.
                                        I have measured two 1000uf capacitors and they showed like 2240uf and 0.09 ESR, that means it's bad or I'm picking up some other component's value?
                                        (budm, I'm talking about the Vizio's PS)

Comment

If your going to spend money on ESR testers .........
                                          Then spend a few extra quid on a small range off NEW HQ
                                          caps for calibration of said meter ,OUT OF CIRCUIT test...its the only way you will ever know,If its Accurate !
                                          Known Calibration is essential.
                                          IMHO IN Circuit testing of Capacitors is a practice frought with disaster...
                                          No matter what the blurb says !

Seems no one's mentioned A "sometimes essential tool"

Called a "SCHEMATIC"

Or you could be there for years !
                                          Or just or just give up !
                                          Last edited by S2udio; 05-02-2012, 11:20 AM.
                                          Most of the time things ain't what they seem to be

Comment

Working...
                                          X