Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think my technique is improving.

Cap replacment #4 looks like a success.

I just finished installing new capacitors in the board i pulled out of my video encoder. The capacitors weren't bad but i thought they were at the time i started yanking them out.

Anyway, i think i'm getting better at it.

The scorching on the underside occurs when my repeated attempts at getting the solder out of the holes keeps failing. (w/ desoldering braid)

This part caused me a little grief until i pulled out the microscope. I tuns out that these lines the kept bleeding into one leg of the capacitors was in fact the same trace.

EPoX chose to expose (to not coat in enamel/lacquer), areas that form parallel lines. Why would they do that? It should shield RF the same whether it is coated in enamel or not.

---------------

BTW, i'm posting from this machine. It's not installed in any case because it's now orphaned.

I'm thinking of giving it to my sister to replace the junk i've been fixing until now (Abit BX-133, EPoX 3VSA2).
    Last edited by gastorgrab; 06-24-2007, 04:19 PM.

Re: I think my technique is improving.

Those tined traces are thicker and thus can handle higher current`s (at least i think that this is the intension for them).
    Furthermore this is acting as a load balancing, avoiding hot spots.

On many PSU`s the manufacturers are using very thick tin coverage in order to cheap out at the raw PCB copper thickness of the base material used.
    So i think it is cheaper to only put extra thick tin onto those traces who needs this, then to go with a thicker copper layer for the whole board (copper is $$$).

Comment

Then i hope it's still the same thickness. I had to run the iron along the length of one of the lines to make it pretty again.

Comment

that "scorching" = flux

Get some flux-off! I think some here use denatured alchohol or solvents to clean it up.
        Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Originally posted by Logistics
          that "scorching" = flux

Get some flux-off! I think some here use denatured alchohol or solvents to clean it up.
          The picture is of the board, after using flux cleaner. The scorched marks appear under the microscope as scale.

I think maybe i've burnt the flux because whats left wont wash away, even with flux cleaner and a toothbrush.

The coating of the circuit board still looks fine under th microscope.

The microscope might be good for other beginners, such as myself, to see the impact of your changes. If your having a problem, and don't like the results your getting and decide to try something different, you need to be able to see if your 'something different' is making a change for the better.

Noone can learn without feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Logistics
            that "scorching" = flux

Like me!
            I used simple, off the shelf methylated spirits on my recap job.

I actually id go to a electronics hobby shop to buy some flux cleaner. However they did not stock any!!
            So I basically said stuff it and used the methylated spirits as I believe it is mentioned as being an alright flux cleaner in the FAQ section in this forum.

Comment

Definately! I use methylated spirits (95% ethanol) too, though I'm lazy using an electric toothbrush to get the job done
              Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Thanks to the sysops for putting the recapping FAQ in place. I use the stainless needle method for hole cleaning, and find it works the best by far, for me.

The FAQ is worth reading a dozen times until you have it imprinted on the inside of your head. A good solder station is a must. I use a modest Hakko 936 ($78) and it works perfectly at 450C for removing caps and cleaning holes. I turn it down to 400C when soldering the new caps. Perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by tazwegion
                  Definately! I use methylated spirits (95% ethanol) too, though I'm lazy using an electric toothbrush to get the job done
                  Will vodka disolve flux?

Comment

Will vodka disolve flux?
                    Even if it doesn't, by the end of the recap you won't care anymore!

Denatured alcohol works well. I use non conductive rosin core flux, so I don't bother to even clean it off anymore. No one looks at the bottom of their boards anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X