Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 50PG20 no picture

Hello all,

I have a 50" LG plasma model 50PG20 that, while watching tv, the screen suddenly went black. The sound continues to work though. I have taken the back panel off and when I turn the TV on, there is no sound coming from any of the boards - no buzzing or anything.

I have read that this could be either the YSUS or XSUS. I am typically a DIY'er, but wanted to know:

A) How can I troubleshoot to find out which one is bad?
    B) How difficult would it be to do the repair myself?

If ya need any more info from me please let me know. Thanks for any and all replies!

Re: LG 50PG20 no picture

Originally posted by Turco Chips View Post
    A) How can I troubleshoot to find out which one is bad?
    B) How difficult would it be to do the repair myself?

If ya need any more info from me please let me know.
    We usually want clear focused pictures attached and posted on this forum (don't post inline). Pictures should show the overall TV in the back and then each board individually (as close to 2000x2000 resolution).

You will need a multimeter at minimum to troubleshoot.

Look for your TV at elektrotanya.com for a service manual.

The repair can range from a simple blown fuse to replacing boards to soldering SMD chips.

edit: Another hint. Start reading through other threads in the "Troubleshooting TVs and Video Sources". Pay attention to the first response post from PlainBill. He wants to see pictures in a certain format and look at his responses on how to troubleshoot.
    Last edited by retiredcaps; 01-02-2011, 09:31 PM.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks I'll get working on getting those pix taken and posted. 'preciate the reply!

Comment

If you have sound the power supply is not in protect mode. Check buffers (left side of tv) small 1 inch square chips for burns or pin holes. These may be hard to inspect if they have heat sinks on them. Do not be near these with the tv on (high volts here).

I think these tvs (mosfet driven not chip driven) have alot of power supply problems and less driver board issues.

I would check all v per the panel specs (upper left or right on pdp).

Comment

I joined the forum cause almost all of my Google queries led me here. I had the same problem with my 50pg20 and am trouble shooting..

I am way out of my league I'm finding out! lol I figured I'd start with the fuse.. Where is it located?? Is it hidden or look like something other than a fuse I'd expect to see?

Comment

To be honest if you can't identify fuses on the board then you should not even attempt to test or fix this tv. These plasma tvs have high voltage throughout and if you make a mistake you could damage the tv or more importantly you will seriously injure yourself. You would be better off taking it to someone qualified.

Comment

Originally posted by waximoff View Post
              I joined the forum cause almost all of my Google queries led me here. I had the same problem with my 50pg20 and am trouble shooting..

I am way out of my league I'm finding out! lol I figured I'd start with the fuse.. Where is it located?? Is it hidden or look like something other than a fuse I'd expect to see?
              Refer to post #2 above. Confirm that you have sound with no picture.

Trying to assist without good pictures is a waste of time for both parties. Start with one over-all picture of the TV with the back cover removed. The sustain boards are on the left and right side of the TV. Closer shots of those would be helpful. Also, on the back of the plasma panel is a white label with various voltages. For extra credit, include a picture of that, too.

And don't post in two threads!!! It tends to get you ignored!!

Forget it. You don't have the same problem as the OP. $@!@$!@#!! hijackers.

PlainBill
              Last edited by PlainBill; 03-15-2011, 01:34 PM.
              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I hear what you're saying. All my experience is on computers. I'm aware of the dangers and was definitely careful. i guess i was just hoping i would see the fuse and It could have been an easy fix. I found this while searching and was looking for that.
                http://cgi.ebay.com/LG-50-55-PLASMA-...-/180631463251

Comment

thanks plainbill. I started that other one after i posted here so I could explain the symptoms. There is definitely a wealth of knowledge here and was just anxious.

Comment

Working...
                  X