Sanyo 50" Plasma TV Model DP50747

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sanyo 50" Plasma TV Model DP50747

I bought the Sanyo to see if I can repair it. It has a group of vertical lines slightly to the right of the center of the screen. from left to right, The first one is about 1 inch wide and black, then a 1/8th inch wide purple line, then a one inch wide snow line, then a 1/8th inch wide green line, then a 1.5 inch wide black line. The "snow" stripe maybe not a stripe because I donot have the cable connected and the screen is snow. I have seen several posts about these TVs power supply problems and horizontal lines but nothing so far on vertical stripes. Can anyone offer a suggestion?
    thanks

Re: Sanyo 50" Plasma TV Model DP50747

Yes, it's either a bad driver chip, a bad panel, or a bad main logic board. A picture is worth 1000 words. Rather than supplying the additional 840 words, just attach a picture.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

thanks. Heres the photos of the screen
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BLUE1999P38 View Post
        thanks. Heres the photos of the screen
        Definitely drivers, and may or may not be repairable. Here is what I understand. It depends on how the plasma panel in that set was made. Some panels have the X-drivers on a separate board. Others bond the drivers to the plastic ribbon connected to the panel. If it's a separate board, the board can be replaced. If it's bonded to the ribbon, it's virtually impossible to replace the defective chip.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

would posting a photo of the parts you mentioned allow you to determine if the drivers are on the ribbon or on the board?
          thanks

Comment

Yes. A photo of the rear of the panel will help.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

This photo is with the back off and the plate that covers the Logic Buffer boards removed. The area I photographed is the lower edge of the left side. the item is marked Model No. 50' HD W3 Logic Buffer E - PCB No. LJ41-05512A.
              I see the part for sale on a couple of online TV parts suppliers. Is this part the driver you were referring to?
              Thank you
              Attached Files

Comment

This photo is with the back off and the plate that covers the Logic Buffer boards removed. The area I photographed is the lower edge of the left side. the item is marked Model No. 50' HD W3 Logic Buffer E - PCB No. LJ41-05512A.
                I see the part for sale on a couple of online TV parts suppliers. Is this part the driver you were referring to?
                Thank you
                Yes, but you are getting into an area I've never explored. You can see the construction better than I can. If you remove the screws, can you carefully lift the E board and photograph the back side? I don't see any obvious decoders / drivers in the picture.

Note that if someone older (our younger) and smarter than I says "Don't do it!!", listen to them.

PlainBill

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I am not shy about working on electrical components but this is something I've never worked on. So I need the guidance. I attached several photos because I am not sure of the quality. All are taken with the board flipped up to view the back of it. The gobs of white on each ribbon are greasy. It is difficult to see in the images but there is a component (?) embedded in each ribbon on the front side and the greasy stuff is directly behind it.
                  thanks again
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I am not shy about working on electrical components but this is something I've never worked on. So I need the guidance. I attached several photos because I am not sure of the quality. All are taken with the board flipped up to view the back of it. The gobs of white on each ribbon are greasy. It is difficult to see in the images but there is a component (?) embedded in each ribbon on the front side and the greasy stuff is directly behind it.
                    thanks again
                    That pretty much confirms it in my mind. The driver is bonded to the ribbon cable. Again, I have no personal experience with these, but Wizard reports that the drivers cannot be replaced, and I respect his experience.

PlainBill

Comment

Yeah that panel is most likely junk. When the driver chips are bonded to the ribbon it cannot be fixed without specialized equipment.

Comment

is this what you're talking about?
                        http://www.fps-europe.com/repair.html

Comment

Here's a guy soldering the TAB connection by hand!
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z99P0...layer_embedded

Comment

Yes but he has a PCB there. That's easy to do. When both sides are plastic however... you're outta luck.
                            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

the problem is usually the connection from the flexcable to the panel itself, not the soldered connection to a circuit board.

you can't reattach the flexcable to the glass panel without special equipemt unfortunately

Comment

can anyone help me with this sanyo dp57047?
                                no sound or pic; just a click from the board pic from the top middle board and 1o seconds later another click. I really need to fix this so the wife doesn't kill me for buying it.

Comment

Originally posted by madmike56 View Post
                                  can anyone help me with this sanyo dp57047?
                                  no sound or pic; just a click from the board pic from the top middle board and 1o seconds later another click. I really need to fix this so the wife doesn't kill me for buying it.
                                  Don't double post.

PlainBill

Comment

I am a newbe. Had my Sanyo dp50747 repaire just before my extended warrenty ran out then not long after it just would not turn on. Tried unpligging ang replugging the power, the cable no luck. Is ther an on-off switch that I can replace? I am willing to try anything.

Comment

Originally posted by rubencanales View Post
                                      I am a newbe. Had my Sanyo dp50747 repaire just before my extended warrenty ran out then not long after it just would not turn on. Tried unpligging ang replugging the power, the cable no luck. Is ther an on-off switch that I can replace? I am willing to try anything.
                                      Almost certainly not a problem with a physical switch.

Do you have a DMM? A camera? How about a philips screwdriver? Soldering iron?

Remove the back of the TV. Take one sharp, well lit picture showing the entire back. This picture should be close to but not over 2000 pixels on a side. Attach the picture to your next post using 'Manage Attachments' - below the text entry area.

PlainBill

Comment

Working...
                                      X