COMPUSA 250 watt ATX power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: COMPUSA 250 watt ATX power supply

i cannot but always admire bonez' black/white world: if antec is shit, what is the psu in the first post of this thread?

ie compare this delta made earthwatts
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules/NDR...0/DSCF0036.jpg
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules/NDR...0/DSCF0041.jpg
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...print&reid=110
    to the thing in the beginning of the thread...

or seasonic made 500w model
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...=print&reid=35

weirdlookinguy got it right.
    and to the point that SOME antec models are not just "half bad"...they actually top of the class in the particular category...
    look at those PCBs...

offcourse, next batch may be of totally different kind and category, so be sure to peek in the box thru those fan grilles..
    <wink>

Comment

Considering that we are in the midst of an economic "depression", the politically correct term is "cost out".......you take a perfectly good high quality item, then see how much cost you can remove from the manufacture of it. Then say it is just as good!

This is not just a practice by the computer power supply manufacturers....it is everything. So, the greed bug has bit, manufactured items go thru "cost out", and profit is maximum. Problem is.......for us the consumer.......it means nearly everything breaks down sooner than in the past.

So I expect Antec is going thru "cost out", and CompUSA must have been doing it much sooner - looking at the psu in the first post. In the long run - just look at where CompUSA is today.

Funny thing is - when folks say such bad things about Antec, I thought they just misspelled the word Bestec.
      Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

I would have to agree that while antec had some duds in the past, not that the old CWT's were even that bad apart from the caps, their new units today are very nice performers. I have yet to see a failed ltec or taicon in a psu. They seem to perform pretty good, just as teapo.

Comment

my point is that one can find a delta and the like for less but get a nicer product. pay more, get less (other than BLING), i don't think so.
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
            my point is that one can find a delta and the like for less but get a nicer product. pay more, get less (other than BLING), i don't think so.
            The only problem is most of the units like these cater to you just fine. Other people with high power consumption graphics cards, lots of hard drives, sli setups, etc... need more connectors, longer connectors, more 12v amperage than those can deliver. Also get modularity on a lot of units, which is a plus for cable management, and sleeved cables I would hardly consider bling, they just look good.

Also, you may be able to get a 300-400W delta for $10-$30, but good luck finding a 650W delta for that much. The DPS-700FB's are getting harder and harder to find, not to mention their lack of cables. They still run about $50 to $60 on ebay.

Comment

>my point is that one can find a delta and the like for less but get a nicer product.

are you sure?
              show us the prices and models, in comparison to antec deltas.

situation here is such that i just CANNOT find CWT made psu(any brand!) for acceptable price.
              it seems they do only higher wattage and i'm not interested in that at all.

i'm also waiting for the bonez proof of recent antec psu with badcaps appearing in production after a certain period.
              to that extent i think i'm waiting first pic of ANY psu dismantled by bonez, and i think it'll be a while...
              <wink>

if antec was putting fuhyuv in particular period, or for particular series or two, that really means less to me....and if antec is putting that crap in today, i would like to know. i think we all would.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch
                Can you explain that?

thnx
                Yeah,
                The reviews show them with at least some Japanese caps in critical areas.
                If you buy one a year later they are 100% CH & TW caps.
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

Originally posted by i4004

if antec was putting fuhyuv in particular period, or for particular series or two, that really means less to me....and if antec is putting that crap in today, i would like to know. i think we all would.
                  I wont forgive antec for that, because I bought an antec true power v1.0 380watt psu that died just a year later and then I got with rma a v2.0 true power same watts that is full of fuhyuv caps and now I have to recap it...

A friend of mine also had his hard drive killed along with all of his data that were stored on it by a similar antec as mine.

When you pay more than 100 euros (me 107, my friend around 118) for a psu you can't accept such behaviour... And they knew that these caps were bad, but they continued using them for years...

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch
                    When you pay more than 100 euros (me 107, my friend around 118) for a psu you can't accept such behaviour... And they knew that these caps were bad, but they continued using them for years...
                    CWT still uses Asia-X in their low-end units, I have a couple of those cheap Broadway com corp psu's that are low end old CWT's that still have 2009 date codes on the pcb's that are littered with Asia-X and FHY primaries.

Though, all their new designed higher watt units use UCC.
                    Last edited by 370forlife; 11-29-2009, 07:59 PM.

Comment

I know Antec used Fuhjyyu in:

Antec PP-303X [Reviews indicate it came in Antec cases at least back to 1999.]
                      PP-412X, PP-510D [Came in Antec cases.]
                      Smart Power
                      Smart Power II
                      [All the SL-xxx and SP-xxx model numbers marked 'Smart Power' or not.]
                      True
                      True Power
                      True Blue
                      True Power II
                      Neo
                      AR300, AR350, [came in cases]
                      [I probably missed some.]

The when Antec realized they were getting known for crap they dropped CWT and picked up Seasonic as an OEM...
                      But they had Seasonic cost-down the Antec builds using OST caps which aren't much better than Fuhjyyu...
                      That move might have spoofed the general public but it didn't fool anyone here.

Now I'm finding 2009 built 650w Earthwatts with 100% LTEC and Taicon after seeing reviews that said they had at least some Chemicon.

I will never ever buy an Antec PSU new but when I see an Earthwatt for extra cheap I've been grabbing them because the recap is pretty easy and I'm rotating out the older low efficiency PSU's around here.
                      Mann-Made Global Warming.
                      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                      -

Comment

just had an antec basiq550? here full of blown crapxon.
                        had a mid 08 date.not acceptable!antec is not a brand i would buy new unless they were fire sale cheap.and would recap before using.owner of the 550 was pissed! he thought his new board,ram,ect was bad.as soon as i saw antec i told him to pull it and remove the cover.he was worried about the warrenty.hell with the warrenty you just get another like it and do a repeat!
                        he spotted the blown caps as soon as the cover was off. OH SHIT!

Comment

>CWT still uses Asia-X in their low-end units

could you name few brands where these low end cwts could be found?

Comment

>CWT still uses Asia-X in their low-end units

could you name few brands where these low end cwts could be found?
                            Broadway Com Corp for one. They also use YueLin though.

I have this psu. I can post pics of the caps later, can't really when at school

The other CWT unit they provide on newegg.

Originally posted by kc8adu
                            just had an antec basiq550? here full of blown crapxon.
                            Could be a delta, though they just recently changed the basiq's to delta. It is probably a FSP.

Comment

Solytech also uses them in their cheaper psu's.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story2&reid=65

Sure it exploded, but no more than 35mv of ripple shows that asia-x does pretty good when they are new.

Comment

>I can post pics of the caps later, can't really when at school

sure, it would be interesting to see its guts...(not just caps but everything)

Comment

BCC OKIA "550W" actually based on a really old 235W.

The original input caps are two "FHY" brand 200v, 470uf's.

Secondary caps from left to right:

(5vsb filtering)
                                  50v, 47uf Asia-x
                                  16v, 470uf Asia-x
                                  16v, 1000uf Asia-x

(3.3V filtering)
                                  10v, 1000uf Asia-x
                                  10v, 1000uf Asia-x

(12V filtering)
                                  16v, 1000uf Asia-x
                                  16v, 680uf Asia-x

(5V filtering)
                                  10v, 1000uf Asia-x
                                  10v, 1000uf Asia-x

Original Secondary Schottky's
                                  Left to right

3.3v - 45V, 20A

5v - 45V, 20A

12v - 20V, 16A

I replaced the secondary schottky's and the secondary heatsink, as it just seemed to lack so much substance. The new secondary schottky's are

3.3V - 45V, 30A

5V - 2x 60V, 30A

12V - 45V, 30A

Also added a input filter coil, two Y caps, and a X cap as well as a bridge rectifier and 200V, 680uf nichicon primaries.

(note how I had to bend the secondary schottky's every which way to get the new heatsink to fit in.)

Attached Files

Comment

nice job!
                                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

so i presume cwt has two production lines: one for good and one for crappy psus...
                                      hehe...

is that their logo, above the +5vstby trafo's optocoupler, near the fuse?
                                      usually use such dark blue/green trafos?

Comment

so i presume cwt has two production lines: one for good and one for crappy psus...
                                        hehe...

is that their logo, above the +5vstby trafo's optocoupler, near the fuse?
                                        usually use such dark blue/green trafos?
                                        I'm sure that they have two factories, one that still has all the old tooling and everything to make the old units, one cranking out their new units. Just as SPI/FSP has 4 factories that vary greatly in quality. That symbol above the opto is probably the company that makes the pcb.

Ya, CWT started using dark green on their units. Don't know why.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory4&reid=171
                                        http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory4&reid=170

Just a couple.
                                        Last edited by 370forlife; 11-30-2009, 07:38 PM.

Comment

yeah, stuff by old factory seems too cheap for my taste...while stuff from new one is too expensive...
                                          so all in all i won't be looking for cwt stuff anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                          X