Comment

Re: My Latest 8-core Project

you said message posted from the new girl

oh you mean new computer. I get it. I don't apply genders to my systems
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

I experimented with it on the right - I agree it's perfect for widescreens.
        However it went back to bottom because I didn't like the way it put the icons in the taskbar

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          ...and for your little parrot (shovenose), I'll stack my measly used little XP system against anything you've got... Up for it?
          Challenge accepted. What do you want me to do?

Don't get me wrong - you've got an awesome system there - I'm a bit jealous!

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
            Challenge accepted. What do you want me to do?

Don't get me wrong - you've got an awesome system there - I'm a bit jealous!
            Last time I did this, it was always sisoft sandra duels, comparing CPU benchmarks.....but that's been a good 8+ years ago... if it wasn't in person, it was posted screen shots. This was a common source of entertainment at any given LANfest. Considering this system was circa 2009 (atleast thats when the CPU's and motherboard were made), it'd be interesting to see where it came in.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
              vista had suck ballish overhead. I've seen 7 run beautifully on quad core systems with 4gb that xp ran slower

I've seen higher processing power taken up because of XP's 2d rendering, which is barely directdraw. explorer is pretty much cpu based rendering. I've seen scrolling web pages have problems when a flash app is up in a browser on XP, but not on 7. Why? cause 7's video is pretty much hardware accelerated. True there is no performance difference between dx9/10/11 with windows gui cause it used dx9 no matter what, but it used some nice d3d rendering to make windows look awesome, but be video accelerated, taking tasks off the cpu

when was the last time you tried 7? have you?
              Wow, I did not actually know this.
              I do realize that I see this behavior in XP x64 myself...
              Don't get me wrong I actually do enjoy Win7 and at work it makes a nice productivity improvement over XP for me...
              But at my home computer I never got around to actually using Win7 after the beta stage ended, since I made a clean install of the RTM I've simply been too lazy to install all the apps I need
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Last time I did this, it was always sisoft sandra duels, comparing CPU benchmarks.....but that's been a good 8+ years ago... if it wasn't in person, it was posted screen shots. This was a common source of entertainment at any given LANfest. Considering this system was circa 2009 (atleast thats when the CPU's and motherboard were made), it'd be interesting to see where it came in.
                Run NovaBench on it, post a screenshot. I'll do the same!

Comment

downloading now.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Well,not sure how believeable this program is....its saying I have P3's, even after some patch they said it needed.....but here's the result after installing and running without a reboot. I had 2 browser windows up and outlook.

Specs....note what it says the processors are

...and the results...

From what I'm reading about this, the video card is the biggest killer of my overall score....
                    Attached Files
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Sounds about right, but it's a flawed benchmark. It gives you more points simply because you have more ram and it looks like its disk benchmark tops at 109 MB/s just to name a few flaws.

here's mine for comparison.

Attached Files

Comment

I don't really trust NovaBench...
                        my laptop got 590, my desktop got 754...
                        I'm going to try this next:
                        http://www.passmark.com/download/pt_download.htm
                        OK, the results are in...
                        MY DESKTOP is the one with the tree background, my laptop is one with the black desktop background...
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by shovenose; 04-26-2012, 06:50 PM.

Comment

^
                          While not 100% accurate by anymeans, it was a medium we could all kind of compare to. My video card is killing me!! jeez, that thing scored horrible. CPU's and RAM were ranking pretty good. Wish I had trusty old sisoft 2012....the only place I can bootleg a legit pro copy, the download is broken...
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

Just for grins, here's the benchmarks from my main rig at home:

Specs:

...and the results...

Graphics bit me in the ass again....and my older 73gb raptors aren't looking that great either. DDR3 memory speed sure kicks butt though. The CPU's I want are 6-core, but cost about 1200 each...can't afford/justify that....so the e5520's are it for now.
                            Attached Files
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

To awaken another 4yr old thread.... This system has ran as my office machine since its creation in this thread. It's still running rock solid, no issues....but its time to freshen it up a little. There's 64GB of memory on the way, the most the board supports. I also bought a nvidia quadro NVS 510 2GB GPU, as the 9600GT is quite a relic.....and the reason I selected that, it has 4x v1.2 displayports (v1.2 supports 4k stuff for future expandability). I've been running 2x Dell 2709W's, and have come into a 3rd one. Going to try a 3 monitor setup....when I have a lot of stuff going, I find myself still needing more display real estate. I'm also cycling out the HDD's, upgrading the RAID controller, and replacing the HDD's with some 15K SAS drives. Stay tuned.
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

Very nice...

Running a 771 chip myself, but found that a higher speed dual-core benefitted me greatly over the E5420. So it's got an L5240 which runs cooler and has a higher clock.

Still using a passively cooled Radeon 3450, just for the odd Counterstrike game now and again.
                                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                  Very nice...

Running a 771 chip myself, but found that a higher speed dual-core benefitted me greatly over the E5420. So it's got an L5240 which runs cooler and has a higher clock.

Still using a passively cooled Radeon 3450, just for the odd Counterstrike game now and again.
                                  Thanks. It's still running the pair of E5472's (3GHz 1600FSB quad core). This machine has never played a game, its the office workhorse....and it definitely pulls its weight!
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

There's 64GB of memory on the way, the most the board supports.
                                    Gotta love your builds - throwing in GB worth of memory as if it's MB really.
                                    I don't think I have that much total even if I added up every RAM module in all of my junky PCs and laptops (some 11 desktop PCs, 7 spare desktop motherboards, and 2 moving-size boxes full of old Pentium II/3 laptops).

I also bought a nvidia quadro NVS 510 2GB GPU, as the 9600GT is quite a relic.....and the reason I selected that, it has 4x v1.2 displayports (v1.2 supports 4k stuff for future expandability).
                                    As old as the 9600GT might be, it is actually still classes above the Quadro NVS 510 when it comes to raw performance - that is, gaming performance to be exact. Of course, if you don't game... then yes, a low-end modern GPU is probably a better option for you. Moreover, nVidia Quadro GPUs are meant for workstations (and especially CAD/CAM), so even more reason for you to get that, since you build.... well, workstations .

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                    Well, the HD3450 cards are cheap anyways... but if you care about it, you might want to put a fan on or near it. Doesn't need to move much air really. Typically, a low-current (0.1 to 0.16 Amps) 80 mm fan from a cheap PSU hooked on 5V will be absolutely silent. It won't move much air, but if you put it on or near the card, it can drop the card's temperatures by as much as 20C.
                                    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...9&postcount=31

By the way, are you playing CS online? And if so, which one - 1.6, CSS, CS:GO? I imagine the 3450 won't handle that last one too well.
                                    Hope I don't derail this thread too much with this question
                                    Last edited by momaka; 05-18-2016, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                      Gotta love your builds - throwing in GB worth of memory as if it's MB really.
                                      I don't think I have that much total even if I added up every RAM module in all of my junky PCs and laptops (some 11 desktop PCs, 7 spare desktop motherboards, and 2 moving-size boxes full of old Pentium II/3 laptops).
                                      With RAM as cheap as it is today (~$30 for new 8GB sticks, even less for used), it is easy to throw in a ton of RAM even if you don't really need it. My desktop has 32GB and my Laptop 16GB (can also support 32GB if I decide to upgrade), while I really don't need more than 8GB, but with RAM as cheap as it is I figured why not.

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
                                        With RAM as cheap as it is today (~$30 for new 8GB sticks, even less for used), it is easy to throw in a ton of RAM even if you don't really need it.
                                        I guess that just shows how outdated I've become.
                                        It's been a few good years of being out of the hardware "loop".

Comment

The things Topcat does to keep one step ahead of me when it comes to workstation builds

The RAID card was my idea, but my current board/CPUs (and RAM before the upgrade) is clone of what's in this thread... so in a way both of our workstation upgrades are combined efforts to one degree or another. Long live Socket 771!
                                          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
                                          X