Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How bad are Ost caps realy?

Hi all,
    i am building a System for office puposes for a friend from spare parts. It is an K7s5a pro with Ost caps and Duron700. The caps are all fine (from shape) and the board doesn`t have any problems. But i won`t get this system back wit fried mosfet or eny other problems in the next 12 Months. In my experience, this Ost caps aren`t that bad, i mean they last long if your don`t ocvercklock them to far. Now, theDuron isn`t that a big power sucker.
    What is the opinion on that here? Should i replace some or all caps to be safe or let em go? At the moment i not going to replace the caps...

Next thing is a system build with new parts, it is an NFORCE4-A939 Board loaded with finest Ost, an MSI GF6600GT and a 550w LC-Power.
    This system has an flaky vcore since it comes. I have realy big troubles with it, due to eratic hangs during heavy 3d gaming (e.g. Doom, CSS).
    I tampered it a litle bit using the beta driver for the gf6600gt and removing the bad Nvidia lan manager.
    For now i have played with that rig several hours, and it seems stable. Bu anyway sometimes it crashes (especially if it is connected to a cable modem via lan cable, not when connected to a switch using a DSL conection)

So i thought about that ost caps and recaping, but i doubt that those are that bad, as they are new....

Re: How bad are Ost caps realy?

My PCChips, M848 (aka ECS 748-a, L7S7A2) has the same OST in it, the board was purchased a month or so before this: http://p199.ezboard.com/fk7s5amother...cID=1654.topic

Making it around 16 months old, the OST appear okay for now, running stock with good air circulation.

I'm not holding my breath though for it holding out much longer, the onboard NIC is now dead...

MD
    Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

I've seen OST caps on newer K7S5A versions, older have G-Luxons. OST seems better than G-Luxon - in fact, I've never had bulged OST.

Comment

depends really. i have ost on some 815 boards and still ok. I can pull a few references from the forum which werent so good though.

ASUS P5GDC-V DELUXE LGA775
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...hlight=p5gdc-v
        Shuttle MS50N s478
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ighlight=ms50n
        MSI MS-6741 s754
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...&highlight=ost
        Matsonic MS8318E s462
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...&highlight=rlx
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

In my experience, I view OSTs as middle of the road.

They are not a premium quality cap the likes of Rubicon but they are not complete crap like chhsi or Lelons either. You will see them blow on some Mobos but not as often as complete crap caps.

If you want to play it safe, replace them. Otherwise test them with an ESR meter if you have one just to make sure they are OK to return to service.

Just recapped an AZZA 815EX the other night. 18 DS crap caps. About half 2200 x 6.3 and the rest 1000 x 10V.

Replaced the 1000s with brand new Rubicons. The 2200s were replaced with recycled Sacons (have only ever seen one bad Sacon and hold these in esteem).

Ususally would not bother on a board with that many caps (I like to pick my battles these days) but it seemed in such pristine condition apart from the obvious that I thought it worthwhile.

Booted up and runs sweet, hopefully for a long time to come.

Comment

i see plenty of bad ost.
            many just go open and make the mobo act possesed.
            if it is stable just run it if you wish.but if it goes buggy the ost's are the prime suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo0815
              Hi all,
              Next thing is a system build with new parts, it is an NFORCE4-A939 Board loaded with finest Ost, an MSI GF6600GT and a 550w LC-Power.
              This system has an flaky vcore since it comes. I have realy big troubles with it, due to eratic hangs during heavy 3d gaming (e.g. Doom, CSS).
              Prime suspect, in my opinion, would be the Deer-manufactured LC-Power PSU.

Have you checked with a multimeter after the CPU's VRM whether the Vcore really is 'flaky'? After all, motherboard voltage sensors tend to be about as reliable as Chhsi caps after they've been shot with an airgun.

Comment

i have just checked my mobo (ecs k7som) and i see one bad ost. wait till i get the pics tomorrow when i can borrow a camera..

Next thing is a system build with new parts, it is an NFORCE4-A939 Board loaded with finest Ost
                well i found some ecs mobo (nforce3-a) with full of panasonic fj caps, but some others (the same series) with "TK" caps. i bet there are exist some nforce4-a boards with fj caps out there. it seems ecs cant make up its mind wether they will use good (japan) caps or taiwan caps..
                days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

i see plenty of bad ost.
                  many just go open and make the mobo act possesed.
                  if it is stable just run it if you wish.but if it goes buggy the ost's are the prime suspect.
                  Agree, my PCChips board is running on borrowed time.

well i found some ecs mobo (nforce3-a) with full of panasonic fj caps, but some others (the same series) with "TK" caps. i bet there are exist some nforce4-a boards with fj caps out there. it seems ecs cant make up its mind wether they will use good (japan) caps or taiwan caps..
                  Were the boards part of the ECS "Extreme" series, ECS are trying to get into this segment and may have seen that adding Japanese capacitors may help them enter this arena, though bios support is castrated.
                  Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Asus P4C800 Deluxe to add to the shoddy OST list:
                    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1640
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                    http://folding.stanford.edu/
                    Team : 49813
                    Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Rainbow
                      I've seen OST caps on newer K7S5A versions, older have G-Luxons. OST seems better than G-Luxon - in fact, I've never had bulged OST.

Well I got a Shuttle SD31P here for repair, no power, was resetting and turning off irratically. Good chance a bad capacitor. It turned out all are OST and 1 OST 1000uf 10V is bulging but not leaking. There are 21 OST caps 1000uf or higher on this board. Looks like two hour job. So OST do bulge.

Comment

I have two Shuttle machines with OST caps on the motherboard. One had physically failed caps, due to *all* of the caps in the power supply also having failed.

The second has network issues, the fan headers don't work. I'm suspecting they've degraded and just lost capacitance.

Antec EarthWatts 380w was dead. Removed OST caps, 1000uf 10v had lost capacitance but were visibly fine. Performed full recap, PSU is alive again.

The sad part is that the power supplies in both Shuttles (including a new one that had been sat on the shelf for years) are all full of OST caps too so will probably need a recap.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyrotech
                          Well I got a Shuttle SD31P here for repair, no power, was resetting and turning off irratically. Good chance a bad capacitor. It turned out all are OST and 1 OST 1000uf 10V is bulging but not leaking. There are 21 OST caps 1000uf or higher on this board. Looks like two hour job. So OST do bulge.
                          I removed the one bulging OST and the motherboard started working but I see some ac ripple of .4 on 12VDC supply and it drops down to 11.25VDC. Its in specs but I think I will recap it all. Critical business computer.

Comment

Originally posted by yanz
                            My moms PC has an albatron motherboard. they had most GSC brand caps on that board except for 6, all the same size and just below the processor. Those 6 were all Panasonic's.. not one bad panny, but 6 bad 1000 6.3 GSC's and 3 bad 3300 10v GSC's. Same thing there.. why not just make the whole board in either GSC's or panny's?? actual, im glad they were not all GSC's. that was 6 less that i had to replace..

The funny thing is, i looked at that PC a couple months ago and nothing looked bad, and then suddenly they all went bad.. Its amazing on how fast that they can blow..

Comment

I've had 2-4 OSTs fail on ECS mobos, a GeForce6100SM-M and Nforce6M-A, all in the voltage regulator for the memory slots. All were bulging, and the other identical OSTs all measured OK for ESR.

Comment

I got a call from a friend yesterday, his ASUS K8V Deluxe started acting weird and shows an error message at boot "System failed due to CPU over-clocking" etc.

i opened the case and saw 4 out of 6 caps of CPU VRM with bulged tops...a quick google search returned this :

It has been discovered recently that the nine electrolytic capacitors CE18, CE19, CE20, CE21, CE22, CE25 , CE38, CE39, CE45 (see Figure1, used at power stabilization circuitry) may expand and fracture. This problem has been confirmed to result from quality control of RLZ 0333 capacitors, and proven to happen only on a small number of such capacitors which can be easily distinguished from the RLZ 0333 marking (see Figure 2) on them.

If you need further support after finding RLZ 0333 capacitors at these nine locations, or experiencing symptom as described above on K8V Deluxe motherboards, please kindly contact your place of purchase, supplier, or the nearest ASUS service centre for immediate follow-up.
                                After close inspection, it was confirmed that the caps are OST RLZ 6.3V 1500uF 0333 (When i get back to him i'll try to take some macro photos to show the problem.)
                                There are also 3 caps in the Memory VRM that are the same, but with no signs of damage.

The board is still working , but the error message appears in random time.

So, since i could not find a spec sheet for the OST RLZ, i think i'll just replace them with Rubycon MBZ's 1800uf... You think its ok ?

Comment

OST are pathetic (although not as bad as GSC/Sacon and Fuhjyyu). They will often go bad with no visible signs.
                                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I have a fairly young ECS AM2 board here (Geforce6100SM-M V:1.0) with OST RLZ capacitors

Dispite, being right in the CPU fans airflow, ALL OF THESE caps have gone bad on this motherboard, including the ones near the memory and empty PCI-E slots.

Definitely stay away from these caps. Very bad news indeed.

(I can post a photo sometime if anyone is interested!)

Comment

Just thought of what OST might be an acronym for. Only Some Trash!
                                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Update :

Replaced all the OST with Rubycon MBZ 1500uF 6.3V. They run very cool compared to the OST (4/6 of OST were with bulged tops).

Random POST error messages for "CPU Overclock Failed" stopped at once, system is more stable and i'm glad the whole recapping process succeeded.

Comment

Working...
                                        X