This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

I'd say it's perfect for a robotics project. Funny it has more insides that any leadman I have seen.

Comment

Linkworld LPH6-250W

I got it for free from a pile of old stuff meant to be thrown away at my university. I oiled its fan that was nearly running and noisy. 4 bulging caps were changed with caps from psus that got fully recapped. I don't intend to use it in a pc, just wanted to make it work. And it did!

Judging from the parts used in it, 470uF input caps, 4A bridge rectifier, big power transistors, 35 size transformer, 30A schottky for 5V, 16A for 3.3V and 12A for 12V ,I think it could output its label ratings, maybe more?

What do you think?
      Attached Files

Comment

WOW, full of crap caps, CS and Fuhjyyu :O. It could be a good PSU after recaps all, I think.
        | AMD Phenom II X2 550BE | GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P | GeIL DDR3 Ultra 2x2GB 1600C7 |
        | XFX GTS250 DDR3 512MB | Dell H525EF-00 | Lancool PC-K62 Black | Samsung 2232GW |
        | 2xWD7500AYYS | 2xHD322GJ Raid0 |

Comment

Seventeam ST-302HLP 300W ActivePFC
          Copper heat sink with Aluminum fin, strange one.

Attached Files
          | AMD Phenom II X2 550BE | GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P | GeIL DDR3 Ultra 2x2GB 1600C7 |
          | XFX GTS250 DDR3 512MB | Dell H525EF-00 | Lancool PC-K62 Black | Samsung 2232GW |

Comment

POWEREX SPC-500-12VW
            SAMXON anywhere, KM on secondary, LP on primary.
            (I've recaps 5VSB to SAMXON.GF series)
            5VSB used FAIRCHILD's KA5H0165R Power Switch
            This one had strange heat sink on secondary side too, combined brass and aluminum.

Attached Files

Comment

Seasonic SS-300FS
              Panasonic on primary side. OST,JPCE-TUR on secondary side with one Rubycon.
              PWM used FAN7554, 5VSB used ICE2A0565Z

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by POM_MJ
                POWEREX SPC-500-12VW
                This one had strange heat sink on secondary side too, combined brass and aluminum.
                Sorry, most SAMXON on secondary side, some are Su'scon.

Comment

Originally posted by POM_MJ
                  POWEREX SPC-500-12VW
                  I think powerex uses CWT for the most part. Looks like it from those red sleeves over the pi filters. Though I don't know about the transformer markings, but a lot of cwt's don't use the transformers with CWT written on them. CWT is also the only company I have seen use samxon from the factory.

Comment

I've got a couple of megapax PSUs. Like JG test of the hairong, mine are named after the brands of some cheap PC cases, PLE and MEC.
                    I have the '450W' PLE (20A 5V, 20A 3.3V, 10A 12V) and the '400W' MEC (14A 3.3V, 23A 5V, 14A 12V)
                    The only difference between the two are the s. recitfiers, the PLE has mospec s16c40c, f12c20c, s16c40c on the secondaries. The MEC hass10c40c, f12c20c, s20c40c.

Worth beefing anything up and keeping them as a spare 250W psu for testing etc (just as a learning experience too) BTW both have run for years powering celerons/p3s/skt a systems, and everything still looks good on them.
                    Anyway I bring images
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by paul_h; 03-26-2010, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Looks pretty decent to me. Definitely not 450W though! But it looks like it has PI filters on the output rails, a good input filter, decent heatsinks for 250-300W. Here's what I would do to upgrade it:

Replace the 4 diodes with a real bridge rectifier IC rated at 4A or more.
                      Replace the primary capacitors.
                      Replace the secondary capacitors.
                      Replace the secondary diode packs so it can handle the ratings (10A diode on a 20A rail won't last long).
                      Replace the cheap Y caps with ones rated Y2 class or better.

If you're going to have lots of details of your work you should start a new thread for it, too. Good luck

Comment

Yes, megapax are good for fixing up. They don't blow up when pushed past their ratings, they just go out without a bang.

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong but the transformer is El-33, that means it's not capable of doing more than 300 watts max...

Comment

There's not exactly a limit on the amount a 33 sized transformer can make. They are basically like any other part on a psu, will do as much as it can until it overheats or explodes. 35 sized transformers are used in psu's up to 700-800W, real 800W's too. I assume 33 sized could put out 350, maybe 400 if well cooled.

But yes, you really only see 33 sized transformers in 300W psu's (even if they are labeled as 450 or 500W) the same way you see 16v caps on the 12v rail. A bit of room to work with capacity wise.
                            Last edited by 370forlife; 03-26-2010, 05:48 PM.

Comment

As far as transformers, linuxguru posted some interesting stuff here:
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7780

Originally posted by 370forlife
                              Yes, megapax are good for fixing up. They don't blow up when pushed past their ratings, they just go out without a bang.
                              If they used weak schottky diodes, sure. Put in some bigger ones, then overload and it's very likely that the primary side bang like a shotgun. True for just about any PSU without OCP.

Comment

Speaking of larger transformers, I do have this old PSU that I think is an Aopen 300W. I stopped using it because it was noisy.
                                It has rubycon primary caps, did have 6A bridge rectifier I removed to repair something else, the rest of the caps are fuhjju, teapo and jamicon though.
                                Primary shotts are"F" "152" ""13009" x2 on the large heatsink, "sss4n660as" on it's own little heastink.

secondary are SBL2040CT, SBL3040 PT, STPR10.

OEM is FSP.

edit: I have a bunch of PSUs, one of them is so bad it's funny. A 400W ritmo with the tiniest transformers I've seen, lots of jumpers and missing stuff.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by paul_h; 03-26-2010, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that out 370forlife and momaka, that link was really helpful.

Comment

Atlas LC-B350ATX (another brand made by L&C )

600V 4A bridge rectifier with MJE13007 primary side transistors.
                                    30A 40V Schottky rectifier for +5V and +3.3V.
                                    10A 200V ultrafast rectifier for +12V .

470uF 200V Gincon primaries.
                                    Luxon LZ 1000uF 10V before and after +5VSB inductor.
                                    Suscon SD 470uF 16V for -5V and -12V rails.
                                    Luxon LZ 2200uF 10V before and after +5V inductor.
                                    Luxon LZ 2200uF 16V for +12V rail.
                                    Luxon LZ 1000uF 10V before and after +3.3V inductor .
                                    Note that the capacitor after the +3.3V inductor is bulging - this took most of the ripple current since the capacitor before the output inductor was not directly in the path of current flow.
                                    Attached Files
                                    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
                                      ... CWT is also the only company I have seen use samxon from the factory.
                                      Seventeam do it too. I have a CoolerMaster eXtreme Power OEM by them and it has all Samxon, with a couple of Su'Scon
                                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Wintech WIN-300PE

680uF 200V JEE primary units; the rest are Fuhjyyu.
                                        2SC2625 primary transistors.
                                        4A 600V bridge rectifier.

Fuhjyyu TMR 1000uF/10V before and after +3.3V inductor.
                                        Fuhjyyu TNR 1000uF/16V on +12V rail.
                                        Fuhjyyu TNR 2200uF/10V before and after +5V inductor (both bulging) .
                                        Fuhjyyu TNR 470uF/10V before +5VSB inductor with TNR 220uF/16V after it.
                                        Fuhjyyu TNR 220uF/16V each for -5V and -12V rails.
                                        30A 40V Schottky rectifier for +5V rail.
                                        20A 40V Schottky rectifier for +12V rail.
                                        40N03P MOSFET (40A 30V; has Drain connected to +5V) and 10A Schottky rectifier (Anode to GND, with Cathode to Source of aforesaid MOSFET) for +3.3V rail.
                                        Attached Files
                                        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Did they cram everything onto one heatsink on that?

Comment

Working...
                                          X