Philips 32PFL5322D/37 power supply repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Philips 32PFL5322D/37 power supply repair

This uses the Philips EJ3.OU LA chassis. The service manual is available from Elektrotanya under that chassis number.

I've attached the error code section of the service manual, error code 8 indicates a problem with the DC-DC converter on the Small Signal Board. It's a common problem with many Philips SSBs. By memory you will have to replace several dual FET switches, the controller, and since 12V is present momentarily, a fuse. This is documented in the service manual. The repair parts were available from Digi-Key for about $10 the last time I did this repair. NOTE: Do not use the part numbers on the schematic, use the part numbers in the parts list - they show upgraded parts.

PlainBill
    Attached Files
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thanks Plainbill, that is perfect! I'll look over the SSB and see if anything is faulted. If only there was that level of detail for the power supply!

I looked over the 5v rail, and nothing appeared be shorted. I did start probing the other controller, and it is either shorted or has pins connected internally. The number on the top is very difficult to read, but it looks like TEA1601. Now putting that into google gives me little of use, so I may have the number wrong. My next thought is just plugging in the power supply and either touching the controller chips or using an infrared thermometer to see if I can find anything that's heating up which may give a clue.

I did find that there was quite a bit of flux left on the board from resoldering. I tried to remove it with rubbing alcohol pads, but as soon as the rubbing alcohol evaporated it was sticky again.

Comment

Originally posted by rpgruss View Post
        I did find that there was quite a bit of flux left on the board from resoldering. I tried to remove it with rubbing alcohol pads, but as soon as the rubbing alcohol evaporated it was sticky again.
        I find IPA and a toothbrush is good for this

Comment

I'm back for another round. I've been banging my head all night trying to find the source of the burning. Everything on the 5v rail checks out, no shorts or anything.

I don't know how reliable it is, but I started using my nose. It reeks of burnt electronics near the bridge rectifier. Looking at it, it looks like a replacement. Could something be wrong with it, or should I be looking elsewhere?

Comment

It reeks of burnt electronics near the bridge rectifier.
            Before you found the open 1 ohm resistor, the bridge rectifier has been working the entire time. Otherwise you would not get 166V DC across the big cap this entire time.

Is it possible that the burning smell is left over from the previous owner's experience? Just something that takes time to go away?
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I suppose it is possible, but it definitely smells burn-y when I turn the power on, and it dissipates when I disconnect mains power. I thought I saw a wisp of smoke, but it could have been my imagination playing tricks on me.

Comment

I decided to go for broke and plug it in, with my finger on the surge strip button. It is the bridge rectifier arcing, I actually saw a little spark this time! I re-reflowed the connections, and cleaned up the flux with alcohol and q-tips. No more burning! Turns out there was a bit of flux left from when the previous owner installed the rectifier, I thought (wrongly) I had burned it all off reflowing the joints, and it conducted when exposed to 120 volts. Now on to finding the main board faults...

Comment

It is the bridge rectifier arcing, I actually saw a little spark this time!
                  Good job.

Please post pictures of the SSB board so we know what components are on there.
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Attached are pictures of the SSB.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Attached are pictures of the SSB.
                      On front:

Yellow circle - fuse, check if it is open.

Red circles - power FETs - check for shorts.

On Back:

Red circle - dual DC-DC controller - replace if FETs are shorted.

PlainBill
                      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Bill, I don't see your picture, but I checked fuse 1UO1 and fets 7UO1 and 7UO3 which are discussed in the manual, I did not find any shorts and the fuse is good. I'm going to plug the board back in and see if any of the voltages are present so I can follow the troubleshooting steps in the manual.
                        Last edited by rpgruss; 01-28-2012, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Duh!!

Note to myself - don't assume similar problems have a identical cause. It could be a problem 'downstream' in the 1.2 Volt supply, or even an excessive load.

PlainBill
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by PlainBill; 01-29-2012, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Trying to read the service manual, and for some reason I can't figure out where I'm supposed to read 1v2, 3v3, etc. on the board. All the manual says is check to see if they are present even for a short time, with no indication that I can see on where to read them from.

However, I went and retested the FETs that Plainbill circled. Before I tested off the datasheet looking for shorts. I'm assuming it is each one is basically 2 FETs in one? Anyway, I went did just a pin-by-pin check, and sure enough, the lower one is shorted between the lower left and the upper right pins.

I am going to start an order, but before I press ship I wanted to make sure there isn't something else I should be checking.

Comment

I also have a moderator-type question: this thread has now moved beyond what I asked about in the beginning (repairing the power supply). Should I keep this thread going or start a new one? I don't want to clog up the board with unnecessary threads but I was also wondering if a new title and OP would bring in people who may be avoiding this thread.

Comment

Trying to read the service manual, and for some reason I can't figure out where I'm supposed to read 1v2, 3v3, etc. on the board. All the manual says is check to see if they are present even for a short time, with no indication that I can see on where to read them from.
                                You can test the voltages across the grey/beige ceramic caps.

Looks like you found the short, though.
                                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Should I keep this thread going or start a new one? I don't want to clog up the board with unnecessary threads but I was also wondering if a new title and OP would bring in people who may be avoiding this thread.
                                  Keep going. Starting a new thread will only confuse us because if we need to see a picture we have to jump back to the old thread. And if there is another problem on the PS and you started a new thread, then what do you do?

There are only a handful of contributing regulars and most of us are already helping you out.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Another status update! I got the two FETs and controller in the mail today, so I put them in. No joy Power light still blinks 8 times.

I measured the voltages across the 4 capacitors around 7UO1 and 7UO3, 3 of them had essentially 0 volts (around 0.03v), but the lower left cap had 0.21v. Any ideas?

Comment

I got the two FETs and controller in the mail today, so I put them in. No joy
                                      1) Do the new components still test shorted?

2) Are there any voltages on the connectors (plural)?
                                      Last edited by retiredcaps; 02-02-2012, 11:29 PM.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Yes, there is continuity between the same pins as before (pin 1 and 5 of 7U03). This was present even with the FETs removed just checking between the pads, if there is a fault it is farther upstream.

The only voltages I can find in the manual are for the main power connector. 5vsb is always present, when I first plug in mains power 12v is present for less than a second then drops off to 0 volts.

I have been going through the service manual, trying to make sense of it. I guess I don't have enough training on this chassis, lots of the things I can't make heads or tails of. Check voltage on pin 9? Which pin 9? Anyway, I digress.

I did find one thing that may be out of place: it says to read the voltage drop across 3U22, which is a 10 ohm resistor. I haven't checked it in circuit yet as it is on the backside of the board, but I did measure it off and I read 527 ohms, which according to the schematic reads like it is backfeeding through a nearby transistor, meaning the resistance is too high which could set off the protection circuit. Would it help if I posted the relevant pages of the manual?

Comment

Posting the relevant pages would help, or just post the page number and the grid location.

PlainBill

Comment

Working...
                                          X