Dell GX280 \ LiteOn PS-5161-7DS question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell GX280 \ LiteOn PS-5161-7DS question

I've been trying to get a Dell GX280 going, but not having much luck.

Motherboard is full of good Japanese capacitors, all look OK, and it POSTs fine with a separate PSU.

PSU work so far is as follows:

Code:
    REFDES	Brand	Series	Voltage	Capacitance	Dimension	Notes	Result

C203	OST	RLS	10v	2200uF	12.5 x 20 mm	FAILED - 4 Ohm ESR	Replaced with Panasonic FR
    C206	OST	RLS	6.3v	2200uF	10 x 20 mm		Replaced with Panasonic FR
    C283	OST	RLS	10v	2200uF	10 x 25 mm		Replaced with Panasonic FR
    C285	OST	RLS	10v	2200uF	10 x 25 mm		Replaced with Panasonic FR
    C223	OST	RLS	16v	1200uF	10 x 25 mm		ESR OK, left in for now

C503	Ltec	LZG	10v	1000uF	8 x 20 mm		ESR OK, left in for now
    C504	Ltec	LZG	10v	1000uF	8 x 20 mm		ESR OK, left in for now
    C510	OST	RLS	10v	470uF	8 x 12 mm	FAILED - 2.4 Ohm ESR	Replaced with Rubycon ZL
    Machine starts but flashes power light orange with the LiteOn PSU. Sometimes it seems like it gets into a reboot loop, and the light flashes sporadically.

Any known issue with this model of PSU other than bad caps?
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Re: Dell GX280 \ LiteOn PS-5161-7DS question

Is this the sff version? I think i have one of those PSUs, but mine has mostly teapo, Nichicon and Rubycon.
    I can put text here?!

Comment

Yeah it's an SFF one.
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

I've found something else odd. The PSU won't start by jumping PS_ON to GND (even with an old HDD connected for load) - Some stupid Dell weirdness going on there or an actual fault?

Looks like something weird is going on, seems like the reboot loop is actually the PSU resetting itself, after being on for a few seconds. I can even hear a little tick when it does, and see a voltage glitch on the output.

So I guess this is some variant of a 'power cycling' problem...

Also, while the output voltages look OK, it doesn't seem like the PSU is generating the Power_Good signal straight away. This probably explains why no board connected to it will POST.

It does however seem to try to output a Power_Good signal after it goes into the ticking\cycling mode.
        -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
          I've found something else odd. The PSU won't start by jumping PS_ON to GND (even with an old HDD connected for load) - Some stupid Dell weirdness going on there or an actual fault?
          See if you have a similar/same power supply as my thread.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...highlight=grey
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
            See if you have a similar/same power supply as my thread.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...highlight=grey
            Yours was listed as a "5161-7DS" which matches mine, so I assume it's the same one.

But it is strange that worked for you, because according to the official ATX PSU specification:

PWR_OK is a “power good” signal. It should be asserted high by the power supply to
            indicate that the +12 VDC, +5VDC, and +3.3VDC outputs are above the under-voltage
            thresholds listed in Section 3.2.1 and that sufficient mains energy is stored by the converter
            to guarantee continuous power operation within specification for at least the duration
            specified in Section 3.2.11, “Voltage Hold-up Time.” Conversely, PWR_OK should be de-
            asserted to a low state when any of the +12 VDC, +5 VDC, or +3.3 VDC output voltages
            falls below its under-voltage threshold, or when mains power has been removed for a time
            sufficiently long such that power supply operation cannot be guaranteed beyond the power-
            down warning time.
            I assume the Dell PSU does (or should do) the same thing. It seems odd that the motherboard works with a normal ATX supply, if the Dell one is non-standard.

If I understand this properly, even if it was non-standard, why would they totally change the functionality of that signal to effectively the reverse of normal? I am not sure that the loss of PWR_OK signal is not a fault symptom... after all, it starts when connected to a board, just won't let the thing even attempt to start.

And I DO get some voltage showing on the PWR_OK line, on a "normal" ATX board, fluctuating up and down when it's cycling. Very strange.
            -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
              I assume the Dell PSU does (or should do) the same thing.
              I have a personal hate-on for Dell and as such I rarely bother to research/learn what they are doing. If you weren't a badcap longtime member, I would not have even bothered to respond to a Dell thread.

I stripped all the Dells down for parts and fooled around with the power supplies just to see if they work. I recapped only the obviously bulged caps just for "fun" with used capacitors (Capxon brand ) . I have no use for them as they are non standard form factor and only keep them around for potential parts or learning purposes in the future.

Other than that, I try not to have any Dell products, even free ones, at home.
              Last edited by retiredcaps; 04-12-2013, 12:49 AM.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I don't like Dell (or any 'brand name' PC) much either. Far too much proprietary rubbish in their products and it seems like the reason is only "because they can" rather than anything sensible.

This is the first full Dell system I've had (it was free which is why I even bothered to keep it) - At first glance I thought some new capacitors would solve its problems but now looks like it might be more trouble than it's worth...
                -David VanHorn

Comment

If you really want more ideas/suggestions, maybe head over to

http://en.community.dell.com/
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                    If you really want more ideas/suggestions, maybe head over to

http://en.community.dell.com/
                    Thanks, might have a look, at least it may clear up how the PWR_OK signal is supposed to work on this PSU...
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

No luck on Dell forums, but that's no surprise.

Anyone have suggestions for troubleshooting the POWER_GOOD signal?
                      -David VanHorn

Comment

Found a schematic.. or rather, half of it. Seems like there's a bit missing.
                        Attached Files
                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Yeah, I don't see the logic/PS_ON/PWR_OK circuitry in there.

Since the PC works fine with a regular PSU, I wonder if there is a way too fool the PWR_OK signal on that original PSU with a simple circuit. If it needs to be high when the motherboard is on, then simply connect it with a 1k resistor to the 3.3V or 5V rails. If it needs to be low, then use an inverting op-amp or something similar to invert signal.

Comment

That might work, but there still must be a fault, and I don't know that it would fix it.

The signal does come up, just not straight away, and when it does come up, the PSU has gone into a power cycling state.

The thing is I don't know if it's the POWER_GOOD signal circuitry that's at fault, and there's nothing wrong with the PSU, or if the PSU is really faulty, and this madness with the signal is because of it.
                            -David VanHorn

Comment

That I can't tell you.

Do you have pictures of the PSU by any chance?

Comment

Not at the moment, I'll take some today and post them
                                -David VanHorn

Comment

Some eye candy...

For the record:
                                  Main PWM control is a UC3845BN
                                  5v Standby is done with a TNY266PN
                                  Supervisor IC is a Weltrend WT7515
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by Agent24; 09-21-2013, 09:37 PM.
                                  -David VanHorn

Comment

Is the PG/PWR_OK wire directly connected to the WT7515? Looks like it is to me. Check if there are any resistors between in and ground or 5V that and make sure they are alright.

Comment

Looks like the startup capacitors were the problem.

Code:
                                      C501	OST	RLS	35v	100uF	8 x 12 mm	22 Ohm ESR - 58uF
                                      C308	OST	RLG	50v	10uF	5 x 11 mm	38 Ohm ESR - 7.3uF
                                      C302	OST	RLG	50v	6.8uF	5 x 11 mm	23 Ohm ESR - 4.9uF
                                      Replaced C501 with a 150uF 35v Panasonic FC and other two with 10uF LTecs from another PSU that I recapped - only 1.5 Ohm each, MUCH better. Fine for testing anyway. Now I'll see how this thing goes, if it's OK, I might do 'proper' replacements.

ALSO: It now starts on the bench by pulling PS_ON to GND, previously it wouldn't even do that.
                                      -David VanHorn

Comment

Wow, that 10uF cap has nearly 40 Ohms ESR!

The again, these PSUs probably run quite hot. No surprise if even Japanese caps get cooked in there (granted, it will probably take them much longer).

I guess the small caps even in these regular PC PSUs should never be underestimated. Learning something new everyday. Good job on the repair, by the way .

Comment

Working...
                                        X