No Picture or Audio on Insignia NS-LCD26A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Picture or Audio on Insignia NS-LCD26A

I have come across an Insignia NS-LCD26A and have tried to do research on it but its kind of hard to find any information on it. When I turn the TV on the power light comes on but no audio or picture whatsoever. Any ideas what board needs replaced? On LCDs I usually think inverter because most of the time there is audio but since this has no audio or picture can it be the power board? Any help would be awesome! If needed I can take pictures of the inside of the TV

Re: No Picture or Audio on Insignia NS-LCD26A

1. The answer is it could be either main board or power board. You won't find much information on these sets; they are a throw-away brand disowned by both the manufacturer and the retailer.

2. ALWAYS provide pictures unless the problem is very simple. (What is the resistance of a resistor with orange, orange, red bands?), for example.

I suggest the following pictures - an overall shot of the back of the TV (with cover removed, of course), one of the power board, one of the main board, and one showing any labels identifying the pinout of the power supply outputs. The pictures should be well lit, well focused, and at least 1000 x 1000 pixels (but not over 2000 pixels). Attach them using 'Manage Attachments - below the text entry area.

PlainBill
    Last edited by PlainBill; 09-20-2011, 04:59 PM.
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Here are a few of the TV I didnt take everything out to get down to take a picture of the t-con or the inverter. But once I got the back off I realized how much dust and crap is in the back of the TV so could it possibly be a bad power board that over heated because lack of proper ventilation?
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jessebsbll View Post
        Here are a few of the TV I didnt take everything out to get down to take a picture of the t-con or the inverter. But once I got the back off I realized how much dust and crap is in the back of the TV so could it possibly be a bad power board that over heated because lack of proper ventilation?
        Possible, but let's take it a little further before buying boards.

There are four or five connectors at the bottom of the power supply board. I'd like pictures of the top and bottom of the power supply showing that area. I'm interested in anything that tells me what pin does what.

Background - this is a very standard design for a TV power supply. There is a standby supply that is always on, a main supply that is switched on by the main board, and a PFC front end. It is critical to determine if the main board is failing to turn on the main supply, if the main supply is not turning on, or if the main board is not powering up properly.

PlainBill
        Last edited by PlainBill; 09-23-2011, 02:48 PM.
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

here are those pictures
          Attached Files

Comment

Were you able to come up with any ideas of what it may be?

Comment

Originally posted by Jessebsbll View Post
              Were you able to come up with any ideas of what it may be?
              No, I missed your update yesterday, and spent the morning taking care of the brakes on my car. Sorry if that inconvenienced you.

The first two pictures don't help, other than to show they were saving on ink. The last one is tantalizing. It obviously indicates what signals are passed through the connector, but the focus is so poor it's unreadable. The connector on the right in that picture would seem to be the one going to the main board. What does it say by it?

One point I make repeatedly. I don't have a collection of these boards here, I don't have schematics or troubleshooting guides; I don't even have pictures. The pictures you provide, and the information you give me is all I have to work with. When I say 'clear and well it', the attached picture is what I mean.

PlainBill
              Attached Files

Comment

Did you ever get this problem resolved Jessebsbll? Please share if you have. I have the same TV with the same symptoms. Basically the set only has a green power led on and does nothing at all. I checked all of the power connectors at the main board side (that come from the power supply board and they were all good. I believe they were 9v, GND, 5v, GND, 12v, GND GND, 24v etc or something of that nature. They were clearly marked on the main board. I've got no power at all going to the inverter from the main board.

There is also a 3 pin connector coming off of the power supply board that I think has something to do with the backlight power (my guess because I think it was labeled bckON at the main board). When the connector is attached, I get almost no power on the center pin (at PS board) but when I test the center pin without the connector attached, I get 5v at that point.

There were a couple of slightly weak caps on the PS board but barely below tolerance. I think there is a bigger problem to be found.

Anyone have luck fixing the Insignia NS-LCD26a?

Comment

You can provide where the last person left off with clear well focused pictures in the composition that PlainBill suggested.
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I fixed my Insignia NS-LCD26a today. I felt the need to come in here to share what I did because I had searched everywhere for an answer and found squat. It bums me out when people don't share and I always feel as if I'm the first guy on the planet to figure problems out...I know that's not true because I'm not that smart. Basically the symptoms were a green led on but no picture and no sound.

I first checked all power outputs from the power supply board. They are clearly marked where they meet the main board. You should have the 5v, 9v, 12v, 3.3v, and 24v at their marked positions. If that checks out OK, your power supply board is likely OK. I still had no back light startup at all so I tried to manually trigger the backlight to come on by putting 5vdc to BKon (marked clearly on the main board three pin connector). I got nothing. This led me to believe the problem was in the main board-possibly the processor.

I took one look at the processor and recognized that it was the same poor design that we see today in so many laptops that have BGA failures. I have "reballed" so many laptops successfully (watch youtube videos on BGA reballing) so I decided to do the same on this processor. I heated the aluminum heatsink of the processor (the one with no legs showing) with my microtorch a few minutes until the thermal compound began to ooze slightly. I let then let it cool completely. The hope with doing this is that the solder balls will reflow and reconnect in the areas where it has seperated. At that point I had a running TV again. Sweet.

Now I'm sure this is not going to be a long term fix for every single one of you out there who is experiencing this problem just as in the case with laptops. Sometimes there was a lack of solder put on at the factory or the solder has dried out over time. To correctly reball a processor takes very expensive equipment which is very hard to come by and they'd probably charge you as much as a new main board anyway. All I can say is that china sucks at attaching these chips properly and there is never enough cooling on the chips to make the solder balls last a long time. As soon as they overheat several times, they begin to lose the proper connections to the board. It's way too common.

For now my set is perfect again. I hope I helped alot of you. Please don't open a set and try any of this if you don't know exactly what you are doing because I don't want to see anyone hurting themselves over a TV. Too many novices try to reball laptop chips and they wind up cooking the processor to a crisp. Don't try it until all of your other possibilities are ruled out.

Best wishes,
                    Blan

Comment

I have the same set but, only I have bright backlight and no picture. maybe the same problem?
                      This Forum absolutely the best and, the most helpful forum I have ever found anywhere. thanks to all the fantastic members here
                      Help keep these from the landfills

Comment

Originally posted by blan View Post
                        I fixed my Insignia NS-LCD26a today. I felt the need to come in here to share what I did because I had searched everywhere for an answer and found squat. It bums me out when people don't share and I always feel as if I'm the first guy on the planet to figure problems out...I know that's not true because I'm not that smart. Basically the symptoms were a green led on but no picture and no sound.

I first checked all power outputs from the power supply board. They are clearly marked where they meet the main board. You should have the 5v, 9v, 12v, 3.3v, and 24v at their marked positions. If that checks out OK, your power supply board is likely OK. I still had no back light startup at all so I tried to manually trigger the backlight to come on by putting 5vdc to BKon (marked clearly on the main board three pin connector). I got nothing. This led me to believe the problem was in the main board-possibly the processor.

I took one look at the processor and recognized that it was the same poor design that we see today in so many laptops that have BGA failures. I have "reballed" so many laptops successfully (watch youtube videos on BGA reballing) so I decided to do the same on this processor. I heated the aluminum heatsink of the processor (the one with no legs showing) with my microtorch a few minutes until the thermal compound began to ooze slightly. I let then let it cool completely. The hope with doing this is that the solder balls will reflow and reconnect in the areas where it has seperated. At that point I had a running TV again. Sweet.

Now I'm sure this is not going to be a long term fix for every single one of you out there who is experiencing this problem just as in the case with laptops. Sometimes there was a lack of solder put on at the factory or the solder has dried out over time. To correctly reball a processor takes very expensive equipment which is very hard to come by and they'd probably charge you as much as a new main board anyway. All I can say is that china sucks at attaching these chips properly and there is never enough cooling on the chips to make the solder balls last a long time. As soon as they overheat several times, they begin to lose the proper connections to the board. It's way too common.

For now my set is perfect again. I hope I helped alot of you. Please don't open a set and try any of this if you don't know exactly what you are doing because I don't want to see anyone hurting themselves over a TV. Too many novices try to reball laptop chips and they wind up cooking the processor to a crisp. Don't try it until all of your other possibilities are ruled out.

Best wishes,
                        Blan
                        This process repaired my Insignia last week for me. I receive this LCD TV from a thrife store for $25.00 just for the screen it self. After seaching the net. for this issue or problem about this model TV came cross this site. I follow the post and used a heat gun on the heatsink. I used my phone as a stop watch for time control so i would not over heat the board. I use 7 second heat applied and 3 second without heat. Doing this in a set of 5 time, after the last step, I applied very little pressure on the heatsink with a screwdriver. This process with the pressure for a minute, after the mintue was over let cool. I let the unit cool for 15 minutes and plug the TV into the outlet. Press the power button and the picture came on. Hook the TV to my cable box and picture and sound was very clear.

Remember, Please this post that I read and done work for me. Do this at your own risk. Do not or hold me in anyway doing this process if it do not work for you. Remember you can cause damage to you unit.

Thanks blan;217035]

Comment

Hello Blan,

I tried the reballing process in the main board and the set came on and worked OK until I turned it off then it would not turn back on?? I removed the HDMI input cable and it came back on I reconnected the HDMI cable and it worked... but when I turned it off again the same thing!!! Now I cannot get it to turn on again. Do you think I should attempt the reballing again? I heated the video chip to 385 - 400 for around 8 minutes with a heat gun wsing an IR temp gauge. Or should I just replace the main board??

Thanks for your input!

Comment

Anyone have any comments??

Comment

Originally posted by ES Custom Design View Post
                              This process repaired my Insignia last week for me. I receive this LCD TV from a thrife store for $25.00 just for the screen it self. After seaching the net. for this issue or problem about this model TV came cross this site. I follow the post and used a heat gun on the heatsink. I used my phone as a stop watch for time control so i would not over heat the board. I use 7 second heat applied and 3 second without heat. Doing this in a set of 5 time, after the last step, I applied very little pressure on the heatsink with a screwdriver. This process with the pressure for a minute, after the mintue was over let cool. I let the unit cool for 15 minutes and plug the TV into the outlet. Press the power button and the picture came on. Hook the TV to my cable box and picture and sound was very clear.

Remember, Please this post that I read and done work for me. Do this at your own risk. Do not or hold me in anyway doing this process if it do not work for you. Remember you can cause damage to you unit.

Thanks blan;217035]
                              I also did this process and it worked for me too... only mine went out again 3 days later so I repeated the process only to have the set go out agin in 3 days... I am guessing that it is an issue with the main board?? any thoughts??

Comment

I didn't want to open a new thread so, being as I have the same model, and somewhat same symptoms I am posting here. Moderators let me know if I need to move this.

My problem is somewhat different in that I have a blank screen, but about every 15 seconds, I get a flash, the back light comes up, and I get "Please Wait" on the screen for about a second. When this happens, my 24v line drops down to ~14-15 and the other voltages are all over the place, like something is pulling it down.
                                Process repeats after about 15 seconds.

Could this be a bad inverter board? Haven't dug that far into it yet, Getting ready to dig further now.

Comment

Voltage on the main cap is at 340 and drops to around 250 when the backlights come on. Replaced the big cap, no joy.

Comment

There is a known fault with these power boards, not sure if it is causing your issue, but worth a try.

Locate the 50v 47uF "JH" Capacitor near the DIP-8 IC (It has one leg missing), replace it with another 105C equivalent.

Comment

Hi,I fixed my here's issues i had and the fix i did..
                                      ns-lcd26a
                                      Every now and then i would get snow and a pink picture.
                                      Then tv stop turning on .

To fix i seen on main board capacitor cp25 and cp28 near the heat sink was bad
                                      They were both 470uf 35v...
                                      on the power board i seen c531 47uf 50v was bad.
                                      i also heated up the heat sink on the main board to resit the chip ,,
                                      and tv now works

I didnt bother putting the huge shield back on main board i figure it was a issue to over heating the cpu instead take the hit to the brain from the fcc radio wave lol

First do the 3 caps and see if it works if not then do the blow dryer to the heat sink on main board

Comment

Hi,

I got one of these from a neighbor to repair and it looks like the first one in the thread that actually has bulged caps, 5 on the mainboard and 2 on the PSU board (see attached).

On both boards the caps have 'JH' in a rectangle, but I can't read the values on the psu board yet, the swollen caps on the main board are 470uF, 35 volts, 85 *C.

My question is could I get away with using 25 volt caps? the highest voltage listed for any of the incoming wires is 24 vdc, one of the caps has a 2.5 volt test point right next to it, so I'm thinking that at least that cap doesn't need a 35 volt cap on it.

Thanks in advance for any help/informed opinions, etc....
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X