Toshiba Satellite c650 no power to battery and no motherboard lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba Satellite c650 no power to battery and no motherboard lights

Hi Guys, I'm new to this forum and have stumbled across it while in search to a possible solution to a problem I have with a Toshiba C650.

One evening it was working... I shut it down and went to bed, next morning a new dvd drive arrived so I removed the screw, removed the drive and replaced it. I thought I have it fully pushed it but hadn't and while attempting to do the screw up the screw has fallen and my screwdriver has gone through the hole and hit the motherboard.

There is some damage to a ceramic capacitor (seen of pic 3) c6210

Since then - nothing. no lights on the laptop at all, either with ac in or out.(same with battery)

I have opened the laptop up and over the past few days been running a multimeter across the board trying to see where about the power stops.

I can follow the 19v's to a point but then nothing. Thing is I'm not sure exactly what should be giving me 19v and what shouldn't. I do know that both fuses are OK and the battery terminals are not giving out any voltage.

I'm new to fiddling with motherboards and have accepted that this laptop is OK to be bin'd but I feel it's such a waste of a laptop if the faulty component can be identified and replaced. May6be not by me but If I can identify the problem then it was save somebody who can do the solder work the troubleshooting.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help & advice

Paolo
    Attached Files

Re: Toshiba Satellite c650 no power to battery and no motherboard lights

Obviously the damaged capacitor is the problem. It's actually C6208 (C6210 is not populated). The part number designations suggest OEM is Inventec. I haven't been able to find the schematic for your model, but from the L500's schematic (also built by Inventec) they use a TI TPS51125 there, which looks like the same chip you have as U6200. If that's the case you can use the reference design on TI's website to figure out what value of cap should go there.

Comment

Hello, thanks for the reply. Exactly what I was looking for so cheers.

With regards to the battery pins showing no reading do you think there could be damage elseshere also?

I can follow the tracks up to q6002 (pic 2) and only have 19v on one side of this. The other side has nothing, as does the next chip in the chain. Does this mean something?

Comment

Replace the broken cap first, then continue to troubleshoot...

And do get the L500's schematic as a reference (although not exact), since it uses much the same circuitry.

Comment

Originally posted by b700029 View Post
          Replace the broken cap first, then continue to troubleshoot...

And do get the L500's schematic as a reference (although not exact), since it uses much the same circuitry.
          Thanks again. I'll keep you posted

Comment

OK, I dont have experience with the C650, but just a few remarks about your testing. Remember that capacitors don't conduct DC, so many times you'll find a 19V readout on one pin, and 0V on the other pin of the capacitor. That's how it should work. Usually their job is to just filter out any current noise.
            The capacitor does seem damaged, but I doubt a single capacitor would kill the laptop, knowing they're mostly current filters. Definitely replace the capacitor is a first step, and if nothing happens, I'd go with a reflow of the small chip next to it. Maybe that screwdriver impact was enough to cause a cold solder on one of the chip pins.
            my2 cents, hope it helps
            Web design and Online Marketing Consulting
            how-to manuals

Comment

If that's a TPS51125 then that is the VIN pin and the damaged capacitor is for decoupling - the IC might not work without it, or work erratically enough to not produce the correct voltage.

You may want to consult the reference design for the TPS51125 (https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...c3b552ae45.pdf ) and ensure that the 3.3v and 5v outputs are at the correct voltage, as well as the input voltage (5-28V according to the datasheet, probably 19V in your case.)

Comment

Hi Timelapse.

I too have the same issue with my laptop, no lights and does not power on when either the battery or ac is connected.

Did you get anywhere with your problem?

Comment

my Toshiba l300 in processor connecting time in the near regulator chip overheating

Comment

Hey boys....my situation is classic. I was on the phone to a Toshiba tech to kill the power on password that my brilliant son created after smoking pot with his friends. He couldn't remember it right after doing it. So...it was 2 days past warranty. Toshiba "tech" walked me thru shorting several pads...until...he realized he was looking at the wrong motherboard!!! He then apologized and said he wasn't gonna help any further. I tried to talk him into replacing my board. He quickly ended the call. What a jerk!!!

So I have no power, no leds, no action. Where should I start, other than following the dc in? Any and all help much appreciated.
                    Last edited by teletwanger; 01-14-2013, 11:11 PM. Reason: started my own thread...tried to delete this reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Timelapse View Post
                      Thanks again. I'll keep you posted
                      hello have you solved this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by floriano.bazzanini View Post
                        hello have you solved this problem?
                        change U600 max17435 and your good to go.

before post the voltage from that IC
                        Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

toshiba leptop c650 no display

Comment

hy

Comment

i have the same problem, no power no led, no voltage in power button, i have measured the following voltages:

Max17435
                              pin 1, 2, 14, 17, 18, 23, 24 : 0V
                              pin 3: 19V
                              pin 4: 5.4V
                              pin 5: 0.08V
                              pin 6: 0.04V
                              pin 7: 8.41V
                              pin 8, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16: 3.42V
                              pin 9: 3.57V
                              pin 10: 5.34V
                              pin 19: 1.65V
                              pin 20: 5.37V
                              pin 21: 4.07V
                              pin 22: 5.37V

TPS51125
                              pin 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12, 15, 18, 19, 20, 21, 23, 24 :0V
                              pin 3, 14: 2V
                              pin 4, 8: 3,3V
                              pin 9: 2.99V
                              pin 13: 1.10
                              pin 16, 17: 3.45V
                              pin 22: 2.98V

Comment

TPS51125 pin 16 is VIN-so must be 19v.

Comment

Working...
                                X