Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JHS-Q05/12-S334 PSU for external HDD case - bad soldering!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JHS-Q05/12-S334 PSU for external HDD case - bad soldering!

Recently, I received an external USB 3.5" HDD case with a JHS-Q05/12S334 power supply manufactured my Shenzhen Jinhuasheng Electronic Co. Ltd.
    I decided to try to find the company, but a search for the model number revealed a discussion that one of them have blown up.
    Inside my unit, the component's leads were cut too short, and moving a resistor a little bit made it come out easily. I guess why one of these supplies (as well as others with bad solder joints or components with leads cut too short) blew up because of a bad solder joint or a component lead becoming loose from thermal cycling.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: JHS-Q05/12-S334 PSU for external HDD case - bad soldering!

Hi
    I have the same power supply and I think it has burnt up (luckily it didn't actually explode).
    I can't find this company either, and was wondering if you know of any other compatible power supply I can use with my hard drive (supposing my hard drive hasn't also burnt up, of course, I can't check that out as I don't have a power supply!)
    Please tell me anything you know
    Thanks!

Comment

I have the same power supply for my hard drive... I opened it up and it appears one fo the capacitors has gone... I might give it a whirl and try and replace it... if anyone knows where i can get a replacement power supply please let me know!!!

Comment

Hi.
        I arrived here looking for "Power Supply JHS-Q05/12-S334" throught Google.
        My Zaapa 160GB External HD has this power supply and I´d have the same problem with it.
        One time I had to connect the Ext.HD to my PC to make it work. The problem now is that the PSupply has die
        It´s not function and I want to buy another want.
        Well, your posts here are dated from March 2007, have you found it anywhere?
        I´m thinking in buy some from eBay.
        Bye

Comment

Got some pics of my power supply. My power supply just stopped. No evidence of exploding capacitors

Shenzhen Jinhuasheng Electronic Co. Ltd.
          Model JHS-Q05/12-S335
          Dual-voltage: 5V/2A and 12V/2A

6 pin mini DIN connector.

Here's the label:
          Attached Files

Comment

Got some pics of my power supply. My power supply just stopped. No evidence of exploding capacitors

Model JHS-Q05/12-S335

Here's the freshly-opened unit:
            Attached Files

Comment

Model JHS-Q05/12-S335

Here's the top-side of the functional parts:
              Attached Files

Comment

Model JHS-Q05/12-S335

Here's the bottom of the functional parts:
                Attached Files

Comment

I am interested in purchasing an equivalent replacement. This power supply is for a Coolmax external drive enclosure. Biggest problem is the connector, I think. The 6 pin mini DIN used is not too unusual (it's the same connector as that used by Metal Gear Box) but the voltage assignments are different. The 12v and 5v pins are reversed - so even though I have two power supplies for the Metal Gear Box enclosures, I can't use them. Well, unless I cave and decide to reverse the wires inside the Coolmax unit.

Anyway, if you know where I can buy a replacement equivalent (hopefully not from Shenzhen Jinhuasheng Electronic Co.) please leave a post!

Comment

I have the same problem. I didn't know what to call those connectors aka 6 pin mini din connectors. However I have found a seller addonics that sells it for $19 (quite steep) and the only difference is that the input is 0.8A instead of 1.0A http://www.addonics.com/products/pow...2v_adapter.asp
                    Has anyone used this? Does it work? I also have another connector model PAG0342 and it uses 1.2A. When I plug it into my external casing the light on the brick goes out. I don't know if there's a short on it. However if I plug it in to the original casing it's fine.

Comment

Just took a closer look at the JHS-Q05/12-S334 power supply and it is short of a pin. The Addonics has a total of 6 pins instead of 5. Is there an adapter to the 5 pin din or can a pin be removed from the mini 6 pin din for it to work?

Comment

Hi XCONAN, I just buy JHS-Q05/12S334 power supply similar for my external Hard Disk Zaapa, I bought it through http://www.addonics.com/products/po...12v_adapter.asp, so I hope to work for mi Zaapa HD. When I receive it I gonna tell you something wether work. I think it's gonna working, cause the output DC is similar to the original power suplly that I buy with my Zaapa HD.

Comment

Thanks for your reply... when I see your message I try to answer,

Ciao

Comment

Has anyone found a replacement power supply that works using 120v?

Comment

I have the same power suppply. I agree it is a total piece of garbage.
                              It very poorly soldered and uses substandard components....

I think I found a solution.

This is the exact bottom of this horrible PSU.

As you can all see, that the pin out of this drawn on the bottom of this PSU.

Though, with all the typos, the PSU itself is inaccurate.
                              The bottom indicates that this is a 5 pin power supply with an extra pin.
                              The left 2 pins are ground.
                              The right 2 pins are 5v.
                              The bottom left pin and the barrel is 12v.

This is WRONG.
                              Both bottom pins are 12v. The barrel itself is ground.
                              If you use a multimeter, you can verify this. I tested this on the psu plug itself, and when the psu was plugged into the enclosure, i tested the socket.

The proper socket mapping is listed below.

I'm not sure if the original (first pic) is a typo, or on purpose.
                              If you would of wired the barrel for 12v, you would of blown the chipset in the enclosure if not the HD itself...

The technical term for this is a Type B 6-pin power adapter
                              or
                              a Type B PS/2 power adapter

In any case, you can find a descent one here:
                              http://www.bixnet.com/acpoadforexh.html

This is the only site that carries them....from what i can see....

Comment

Here is are some more sites:

http://www.bixmarket.com/bixpro/prod...roductid=16214

http://www.targa-onlineshop.de/targa...&productId=624

(This is a really wierd product, a basic sata controller with the 6-pin din power socket onboard !! Notice, the pin-out is reversed, because the socket is a negative and the plug is a positive)
                                http://ayagroup.com/product.php?productid=16860

The pinout is used on devices so far:
                                Coolmax CD-311
                                Targa DataBox II 250

Magic Bridge II (Unknown pin configuration)
                                TVisto 3500 (Unknown pin configuration)

Products definetly NOT compatible
                                C&C Tech CE92HM
                                or any power adapter made for the Packard Bell Slimline 527 flat panel monitor.

OGD 34w-12-5 is a another model with ocrrect pinout

NEW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                These are rare devices though.

I found another way of making a psu for this.
                                You can use ANY 3 pin, 4-pin (hard drive molex) or 5-pin adapter.

You basically crack the thing open, remove the old plug and solder in the new plug.

All of these plugs are wire using only 3 wires: 1x ground, 1x 5v, 1x 12v.

Its cheaper that way, and you can get a much more reliable power supply that way. As long as its 2a output on both 5v and 12v....it has has power...both the controller and the hard drive...

NOW THE HARD PART !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                Finding a power supply to gut that has 3+ pins, 2a per voltage and is NOT MADE IN CHINA !!!!!!!

I will post some if I find some later
                                Last edited by shdwsclan; 05-24-2008, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Harder to find than I thought.
                                  I suggest the 4-pin lacie adapter.....
                                  Its made in china, but its made by a reputable company....lacie...not some no-name...

Comment

I bought the lacie 54 watt replacement power supply.

The hard drive takes 2 amps and the power supply can give about 3/5 amps max.

Also, another important thing to not that may be damaging these power supplies, that I didnt mention before.

Some hard drives require more amperage, and thus, if more is required, then the hard drive will try to overload the power supply to get its required power, thus making the power supply hot and eventually burn out...as happened here...

Comment

why not use a power supply used for CPU? modify the cable to match the peripheral connector from the power supply.

Comment

Working...
                                      X