Samsung TV Bad capacitor! PLEASE HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung TV Bad capacitor! PLEASE HELP!

So, my Samsung TV (Model LN40A530PLFXZA... which is less than a MONTH from falling into the capacitor settlement that Samsung has going on. Believe me, I called and called....) is having trouble powering on. It first happened about a month ago. I turned it off before bed, and when I woke up and tried to power it back on-- NOTHING. It was just the red power light flashing, and a loud clicking noise ever so often. Just about every third flash, the power up sound would play only half the tune it's supposed to. Well, I left it alone, and finally after a few hours, it came on. Left the TV on for a week straight (Bad idea, I know), until my power kicked out. Same thing, waited and waited, and even left home-- finally, my TV was on during dinner without me even touching it. Well, today, it happened again(power flickered once more. Bad weather all week). This time, I had my boyfriend take it apart (he's good at that kind of thing, has repaired several and computer monitors too)... sure enough, Two blown capacitors! So that's def the culprit.

Now. Here are my few quetsions I have... if you don't mind.

1) Are there any stores I can buy these capacitors at? (25v 1000uf 105c ). Radio Shack was a no go.. I really don't want to order it, as I'd like to fix it ASAP. I was just wondering if anyone knew if a TV repair shop would sale them or stores like Best Buy...?

2) Will it hurt to let it continue 'trying'. Right now, I have it plugged in (for about four hours now. Long as it took the other tries), and it is clicking and playing the music ever so often (like before). Is there a risk to damage it further while I wait for it to come on---? Should I just unplug it or cycle the power?

3) Are there any tricks at all to make it come on quicker?! The capacitor isn't BLOWN up, it's just two of them have a tiny pin hole and are slightly bulged.

I really miss my TV. lol. I don't want to wait to order these parts, but I know I have to be patient. Any advice is appreciated!!!

Re: Samsung TV Bad capacitor! PLEASE HELP!

Originally posted by StormDoberman View Post
    1) Are there any stores I can buy these capacitors at? (25v 1000uf 105c ). Radio Shack was a no go.. I really don't want to order it, as I'd like to fix it ASAP. I was just wondering if anyone knew if a TV repair shop would sale them or stores like Best Buy...?
    Your local stores are highly unlikely to have the correct capacitors. You require low ESR capacitors.

If you order from digikey, you will likely get it in 2 to 3 days and shipping is about $2.75 USD.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...424-ND/2433558

2) Will it hurt to let it continue 'trying'.
    Yes. You could cause more damage by leaving the TV on. You could stress out the other components or corrupt the firmware. What could be a simple $2 fix could turn into several hundred.

3) Are there any tricks at all to make it come on quicker?! The capacitor isn't BLOWN up, it's just two of them have a tiny pin hole and are slightly bulged.
    Capacitors don't have to be bloated in order to be bad. We, generally recommend that you replace all the capacitors unless you have a reliable way of testing the existing ones (like a tool called an ESR meter).

If your boyfriend is good at soldering, it should be easy work for him.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thank you for yor response! Yeah, he's really good a it. I'm just worried now because I've had it on for about 5 hours then it came on... But I guess powered back down while I was sleeping. I hope I haven't messed anything up yet. Is it to late and what type of symptom would let me know I've messed up something else?

Thanks again! I appreciate it.

Comment

Can you substitute the 25v for the 35v?

Comment

Can you substitute the 25v for the 35v?
          Yes, you can go higher in voltage assuming the capacitor fits in the space as higher voltage capacitors are typically bigger in diameter and height.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Great! I got these from Radio Shack. The man working explained to me he'd had about 10 people buy these over the past week, and they worked for various TVs. He knew about Samsungs issue, but told me those people were Sony and RCA as well. So, it's gonna be a tight fit, but I'm positive.... Boyfriend is off work at 11, we shall see how it goes!

All the reviews say this one works... This is what I got.

http://m.radioshack.com/radioshack/p...Id=2102511%22#

Thanks for all your help!!!

Comment

Great! I got these from Radio Shack.
              As I mentioned in post #2, Radio Shack are highly unlikey to carry low ESR capacitors. The ones at Radio Shack are general purpose and will probably work, but they aren't the correct ones and won't last as long as the proper low ESR types.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equival...nce#Capacitors
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Okay! Thanks. Gonna give a try then maybe order the correct ones to have on stand by. I just don't want to cause any damage to anything else. You've been very helpful! I do appreciate it.

Comment

Non-low ESR capacitors on this model can cause a lot more problems. But go ahead anyway...
                  Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                  For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

What kind of other problems? Just this model? I had no idea... I don't want to cause more problems....

Comment

Not only this model, any tv or monitor that uses a switching power supply like your TV does.

Switching power supplies require low esr capacitors. If you don't proper capacitors, the tv will be "unstable", it may reset itself often, or it may overwork other components and burn them out in time, and these capacitors themselves will go bad in short time.

Order proper capacitors, not only those that look swollen but also the ones around those swollen capacitors.

Go to digikey.com, create an account, then click on this link and you'll have a filtered list of capacitor brands and models that will work for your tv:

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksea...1578&PV-5=1579

From this link, select the capacitance you need, for example 1000uF, click on Apply filters. Then select the voltage you need, and select 25v and the value above, 35v (keep Ctrl key pressed to select two values). Click apply filters.
                      Now click on the downward pointing arrow in the "Ripple current" column and the table should be sorted so that the capacitors with highest ripple current value are above.
                      Look in the table for a capacitor that you can order in low quantity (1 piece minimum, then check the diameter and height to make sure it will fit instead of the ones you have now, and if all looks good, add to your order.

If you do it right, for a 1000uF 25v capacitor, you would get this:

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksea...=0&ptm=0&fid=0

Now I'll assume the maximum height is 20mm, so I'm skipping the first few results and go down and settle on P12379-ND, Panasonic FM 1000uF 25v , over 9000 pcs in stock.. add to basket as many as you need.

Click again on the link I gave you above and repeat with other Capacitance and Voltage values.
                      Last edited by mariushm; 01-19-2013, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Well, he replaced them and it's working great. Comes right on and the pic is crystal clear. Gonna order the other ones, though. I only replaced two, so I'm sure the others will go soon! Thanks to everyone for their input.

Comment

Working...
                        X