Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polaroid 22" tv no power or standby

hi new here hope you can help

Got Polaroid 22inch led tv number tlac 02255 ,move tv to another room and turned it on it did not turn on no power,no stand by light came on,
    only had tv 6 months (no warranty got it from target clearance sale )
    ok nothing to lose i open tv up and checked power cable looked ok,checked capacitors and one was not right so i changed it used a 35 volts one instead of the 16 volts one that was in tv checked the ir sensor board
    and when i touched the soldering parts with finger i notice the ir sensor ( red for standby on blue for tv on)the sensor light turned dull blue sometimes
    i got red but when i stopped touching the soldering parts if went off ,
    now the weird bit i put the sensor board down on the aluminum cover the hides the inverter with soldering joints face down to the aluminum and the red light came
    on bright and stopped on picked it up and it stayed on so i tried turning tv on with button and the tv came on ??,
    powered off tv and tried again did not work,i on tried turning on again but could not get red light on but got bluedull flashing everytime it touched
    the aluminum cover then after 3-5 times it would not flash ,i turned power off then left it 10 mins and tried again , the red light came on and tv worked ,
    but tried it many times since but no red light but i get the blue dull light coming on,any ideas what it could be i can post pics if want ,
    Ok do you thing it is the sensor board that it not working ?? shame to throw a 6 month tv away due to a sensor board and would i be able to go and get it fixed ??
    any help would be appreciated

Re: Polaroid 22" tv no power or standby

What capacitor did you use to replace the failed one and where did you get it?
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

it was on the main board ,underneath it looked bad and had a little bulge on top was a 220uf 16 volts and use a 220uf 35 volts to exchange from radioshack would that still be the problem . i am a noob with electrics but i did my bigger tv (3 capacitors blew and that worked )

Comment

Originally posted by oldpot View Post
        it was on the main board ,underneath it looked bad and had a little bulge on top was a 220uf 16 volts and use a 220uf 35 volts to exchange from radioshack would that still be the problem . i am a noob with electrics but i did my bigger tv (3 capacitors blew and that worked )
        RadioShack caps are always a bit of a chance. They could work perfectly but they almost certainly do not fit the specifications of the original capacitors. Consequentially, you have no idea if they are causing your problem. You can either order capacitors from Digikey or from eBay, both will cost less than $5. I generally only buy Panasonic, Chemicon (Nippon Chemicon or United Chemicon), Rubycon or Nichicon as those are the most reliable. Panasonic FC is highly recommended around here, but any low ESR capacitor is likely to be fine.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

ty tom 66
          so you think it could be the capacitor i put on ??? i could change the capacitor and see if it was that but if not what else could it be .

Comment

ty tom 66
            so you think it could be the capacitor i put on ??? i could change the capacitor and see if it was that but if not what else could it be .
            It could be almost any problem, for example a bad diode.

Have you tested the output voltages of the power supply? Do you have a multimeter?

Comment

output voltages of the power supply? Do you have a multimeter

bro in law got one but how do you test voltages ???

Comment

output voltages of the power supply? Do you have a multimeter

bro in law got one but how do you test voltages ???
                Set the multimeter to the voltage range, on the 20V scale.

Connect the black probe to an exposed part of the metal cage.

On the connector which goes to the main board from the power supply, probe each pin.

Record all the readings. Note down if any seem to vary quite a lot.

Comment

got a new problem, bro in law was checking voltages etc and looks like the (think its a fuse) fuse blew now i dunno if that's was the first problem or what he did not get chance to check alot due to fuse i just clutching at straws with this tv learning as i go as i love to take it to tv repair shop but they will charge me (i bet) $25 + just to look at it or will they give me a free estimate ( i would spend $50 on it if they can fix it as tv was new but got it for $100 weird just one little capacitor or fuse can kill a tv well this one don't even go on standby light now if it did i bet people could tell me the problem but now well i keep trying

is that the number of the fuse above (in pic) i try replace it and see what happens but i think we have same prob ,
                  so noone knows what the problem could be ??(before fuse blew)what sort of fuse(if fuse) is that?

ty tom for your persistence with me

and before the fuse went bro in law touch something in here see below and light come on the tv.

Comment

I have the same TV, I cut it on and it goes from red to blue, then shuts back off. I do have a warranty, but refuse to have to pay for shipping it to them for repair when they do get the part or another TV(they will email me at that time!!!). OK I see no bulging caps, but this one thing sez ummm! check the pic's and see if you see what I see, which seems to be opposite the heat sink (I think that's what it's called).

Attached Files

Comment

I also have the same tv with no power issues. i do not get a ready light. when plugging in, I do hear a hum and believe power is getting through the fuse at least (get 115 volts across fuse and also from load to other side of fuse) but bothing else. The caps seem o.k. but I don't want to start spending money with blind shots. Any ideas? Any advise on how to check transformer for output? Similar tv's are $69 refurb so kind of limits options for repair unless it is a relatively cheap cap issue (and teh refurbs may have the factory caps as well).

Thanks.

peter
                      beeton

Comment

Working...
                      X