Shoebox-pc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoebox-pc

would using either a 1u psu or atx psu (whichever fits better).
    intel mini-itx mobo
    512mb ram,
    40gb ata 3.5" hdd
    slim ide cd drive with adapter to normal ide...
    and maybe a fan somwhere even though that may not be neccessary (cel 1.1ghz)

Re: Shoebox-pc

That sounds like a fun project. Maybe build a frame out of balsa wood that fits inside a shoebox?

Computer components, some thin balsa wood, wood glue, maybe some hot glue. It sounds very doable.

The shoebox WILL BE a vans box, right? None of this etnies, DC, or converse shit.

Comment

i had that idea once... never got around to it...
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Just make sure you have a good metal backplate, and ground it to the power supply. All those metal rings on the motherboard where you put the screws to mount the board down are grounding points.

Comment

Souds similar to something I did here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8275

Only, this will be smaller and have no monitor
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

@c_hegge
            i read that thats what inspired me

@audriocraz - do i HAVE to do that?

@WLG - itll be a LAKAI SKATE SHOE box and im gonna slap the LAKAI stickers that came with them on the components

Comment

you really should ground them... you do not NEED to, but you SHOULD.
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

if its gonna be inside the bow what does it matter? will it catch on fire? what are the risks?

Comment

I didn't ground anything on my briefcase PCs. They work fine. The PSU's case and black wires connect directly to the earth pin on the power point. That grounding should be fine.
                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

ok. anything else i need to look out for?

Comment

Just use a 6" lcd and a cigar box with a 12v motherboard micro atx or pico board.

Comment

Hi, been lurking around here for a while...
                        This is my shoebox PC, Tyan motherboard running pfsense firewall for last 18 months or so, silver tape and a degree of origami were used in its construction.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Nice job with the gaffer tape and bailing twine!

I'm about to build a PFSense box from a iDeq barebones cube. Board needs recapping first, though.

What are the specs on your shoebox?

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
                          Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Oops...mine worked out for a while and worked pretty well...but I took it apart for the move and I needed the psu for something...also tried a toaster oven PC but that didn't work at all...

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                              also tried a toaster oven PC but that didn't work at all...
                              Problems overheating?
                              Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                                ...also tried a toaster oven PC but that didn't work at all...
                                No worse than one of those Dell or HP Prescott-based SFF mini-ovens
                                Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

Originally posted by dood View Post
                                  Problems overheating?
                                  No just the shit didn't fit...

Comment

I always like PC built into Ammo boxes I think that if you want a strong compact case you can't go wrong some are the same size at a shoe box.
                                    My thoughts Make sure you look for a mobo that can be upgraded in to future I would go for a micro atx because they still have the same parts at the full atx just smaller.

Comment

You will need to have good air flow a blow hole and at least 2 fans more if you OC.

Comment

here is a cool idea a safe pc, right you could keep your parts all lock in your computer. In case you think you might get them jacked.

Comment

Working...
                                        X