ECG master replacement guide question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECG master replacement guide question

I have just picked up the ECG master replacement guide book by philips..

I know this may sound like a dumb question but Just wondering if any one can give me a couple of tips how to use this right..Now there is some good info in and i just looked up a schotty diode 1n5818 for example and under the section replacement cross reference section it says ECG replacement is 585 (i know this is an alternative ) . But how do i find out what this alternative is (say if i did not know this was a schotty diode ,would i find that answer in this book) Just thought i would ask someone who has the same book ..It is the 18th edition and i would like to be able to understand this cross reference stuff lol .I know i can search Internet for alternatives but would like to also be able to look in this book and know how to use it properly.

Cheers
    Last edited by sam67; 04-24-2010, 12:28 PM.

Re: ECG master replacement guide question

Originally posted by sam67
    I have just picked up the ECG master replacement guide book by philips..

I know this may sound like a dumb question but Just wondering if any one can give me a couple of tips how to use this right..Now there is some good info in and i just looked up a schotty diode 1n5818 for example and under the section replacement cross reference section it says ECG replacement is 585 (i know this is an alternative ) . But how do i find out what this alternative is (say if i did not know this was a schotty diode ,would i find that answer in this book) Just thought i would ask someone who has the same book ..It is the 18th edition and i would like to be able to understand this cross reference stuff lol .I know i can search Internet for alternatives but would like to also be able to look in this book and know how to use it properly.

Cheers
    I('m not familiar with the exact version of the reference you have, but in other versions there was a 'specifications' section. When you look up ECG-585 in that section it will refer you to two other sections. One gives the electrical specifications for the replacement part; the other gives the physical dimensions. IIRC, some of these references might actually tell you what part they were using as a replacement.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Cheers plainBill,

I just did what you said and it was exactly the right part that it refers to ,so i now know how to read the references ..Felt dumb asking the question but if i do not ask i do not get to find out.

Thanks

sam67
      Last edited by sam67; 04-24-2010, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Problem with ECG stuff is they are inferior subs that covers more than one types. The wide spread is what give problems in some cases. And cross backwards to another list of part numbers that one ECG part covers is not provided is another issue.

Ideally, if yiou can get pdf datasheet for the original part and cross refer to another good subsitute by their datasheet then you are golden.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Thanks Wizard .

sam67

Comment

Wasn't ECG Phillips bought out by NTE?
            Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft
              Wasn't ECG Phillips bought out by NTE?

Yep i think they were..

Comment

I meant that catalog must be quite old I would think if NTE bought out ECG the new catalogs would be from NTE and NTE part numbers would be needed for ordering.

I only use universal replacements as a last resort when I can't get the original part number. Since as Wizard said alot of compromises are made on the parts specs for them to sub many different part numbers.
                Last edited by Krankshaft; 04-27-2010, 08:07 AM.
                Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Working...
                X