X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell 22" LCD display black out. E228WFPC

Hi all,

I am trying to recap del 22" LCD monitor. The symptoms are:

Lcd monitor works fine for first few minutes, then blacks out. I can see the image with flash light thought. Then I unplug and plug back in the power cord of LCD to turn it back ON. After several tries the time decrease from few minutes to seconds. Finally it will turn ON for 2-3 seconds and blacks out. I am not sure if it is inverter or bad capacitors.

By looking at capacitors, I can't notice any bulge or burn signs. I do have fluke DMM with capacitance measurement capability. Not sure how to use it though.

I have added two pictures for you experts out there to give me some suggestions. I do order components from digikey once in a while for hobby electronics and can order recommended capacitors. If someone can circle the picture and let me know what capacitors I need to replace I and go from there on. Or any other advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks alll for reading.
    Attached Files

Re: Dell 22" LCD display black out. E228WFPC

Hello
    This sounds like a possible CCFL failing

Comment

Hi Bobdee, Can you suggest any CCFL replacement solution?

Thanks

Comment

On second thoughts it might be worth replacing the 2 inverter caps
        I recall a Xerox that had a similar problem to this and that was inverter caps
        Also I recall a posting about 4-6 wks ago with same problem, (I dont remember outcome) will see if I can find it for you

Comment

Originally posted by Bobdee
          On second thoughts it might be worth replacing the 2 inverter caps
          I recall a Xerox that had a similar problem to this and that was inverter caps
          Also I recall a posting about 4-6 wks ago with same problem, (I dont remember outcome) will see if I can find it for you
          Post specs of of caps and suggestions can be made with that info. It can be either bad caps or bad CCFLs.
          There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
          • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
          • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
          • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
          • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
          • Windows 10 Pro x64
          • GeForce GT1050
            2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Can someone circle and post my pictures again or indicate where the 2 inverter caps are so that I can post specs?

Thanks all

Comment

Originally posted by badcaps128
              Can someone circle and post my pictures again or indicate where the 2 inverter caps are so that I can post specs?

Thanks all
              The three circled in red are almost certainly in the inverter. I also strongly urge you to replace those circled in green if they are a known bad brand.

PlainBill
              Attached Files
              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Looking at picture in post#1 the caps look like Nippon/United chemi-con KY series
                I am not much good at identifying caps but if they are N/UCC caps then they are considered good aren't they???

Comment

Looking at picture in post#1 the caps look like Nippon/United chemi-con KY series
                  I am not much good at identifying caps but if they are N/UCC caps then they are considered good aren't they???
                  Yes, a very good brand. However, I would want to see the label before making a positive identification.

PlainBill
                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Ok, here is the brand "Elite" and other info ED(M) 105 deg C (c) 0820 PET

I have marked the capacitance/voltage on the image, please suggest what brand should I replace them with.

Thanks
                    Attached Files

Comment

I just got hold of Fluke DMM from my friend. The device does measure capacitance. Is there anyway I can measure the cap and know if they are okay other than short or open? Do I need to pull out the capacitor from board to measure it? Eventually I will replace all caps but just to learn how to check capacitors...

Comment

Elite brand caps are anything but.

The capacitance function on the Fluke meter will not show the ESR of a capacitor. It's pretty much useless for testing. Elite's are junk. Spend the $10 and replace them all.

PlainBill

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
                          Elite's are junk. Spend the $10 and replace them all.
                          I agree. Just a matter of time before they blow.
                          There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                          • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
                          • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
                          • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
                          • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
                          • Windows 10 Pro x64
                          • GeForce GT1050
                            2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Elite brand caps are anything but.

The capacitance function on the Fluke meter will not show the ESR of a capacitor. It's pretty much useless for testing. Elite's are junk. Spend the $10 and replace them all.

PlainBill
                            They are not Elites
                            Look at post one picture
                            I have the exact same monitor
                            I just opened it to confirm
                            They are Nippon/ucc
                            If there are Elites I eat my hat and give many appologies LOL
                            Bob

Comment

They are not Elites
                              Look at post one picture
                              I have the exact same monitor
                              I just opened it to confirm
                              They are Nippon/ucc
                              If there are Elites I eat my hat and give many appologies LOL
                              Bob
                              Ahhh, I'm using a KDS monitor at the moment. This one was built using CapXon caps. But if you open it up you will find Panasonic FMs.

Also, manufacturers will buy their components from whatever supplier offers the best deal. Having worked in Electronics manufacturing, I don't find it at all strange that two monitors of the same model have different brands of caps. Even more so in the age of Just in Time manufacturing.

PlainBill

Comment

Ahhh, I'm using a KDS monitor at the moment. This one was built using CapXon caps. But if you open it up you will find Panasonic FMs.

Also, manufacturers will buy their components from whatever supplier offers the best deal. Having worked in Electronics manufacturing, I don't find it at all strange that two monitors of the same model have different brands of caps. Even more so in the age of Just in Time manufacturing.

PlainBill
                                I am aware that diffrent caps can be used in same monitors as so can the boards I have reaired enough of them, and also read the forum closely
                                as I said before TAKE A LOOK AT PICTURE IN POST ONE you can see logo and series thats how I first spotted them
                                There is only one other possibility and that is, he has posted someone elses Picture
                                Last edited by Bobdee; 11-18-2009, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Hi Bobdee,

I checked them again, they are Elites. I wish I had Nippons like you.
                                  Thanks all for their help. I am going to order all of them from digikey, can anyone suggest any good brand?

Thanks again

Comment

BTW this looks very handy equipment for household repairs: Does anyone use it, is it worth it?

http://www.eds-inc.com/cap.html

Comment

Originally posted by badcaps128
                                      BTW this looks very handy equipment for household repairs: Does anyone use it, is it worth it?

http://www.eds-inc.com/cap.html
                                      Overpriced IMHO. Look in the test equipment subforum. Two that are attractive are the Bob Parker Blue ESR meter from Anatek and the ESR-Micro V3.1.

I prefer Panasonic FM series caps, but the other 'good' brands mentioned in the 'Frequently Asked Questions' section are also excellent. Just make sure you don't buy ones that are too tall or to wide.

PlainBill

Comment

Thanks PlainBill for Panasonic recommendation.

As far as ESR meter is concerned that sounds like a separate thread to find the best one.

Once again, Thanks everyone for your time and suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                                        X