PCChips M810D V7.5C - salvageable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCChips M810D V7.5C - salvageable?

I scored this gray-box PC off Freecycle. It's got a Dynex 350W power supply and the mobo is a PCChips M810D V7.5C. The member warned me that the computer wouldn't turn on any more but I thought I'd scoop it up anyway in case it had any usable parts.

Opening the case and I'm greeted by this...

Overall I see five bulging caps on the board. with another 3 suspect because they're the same as two of the bad ones. And then there's the burnt little chips on here.

What do you think the odds are of the CPU or motherboard surviving this and functioning properly if I replaced everything?
    Attached Files

Re: PCChips M810D V7.5C - salvageable?

Pretty good. There are quite a few threads on here depicting replacing fried VRM components with success.

Comment

^^

Agreed. If you replace both the Caps and the MOSFETS, the board will probably be OK. I've done it myself once. https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12789
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Whoa. Thru-hole resistors on a motherboard!?

As long as you know the model of the power mosfet, I'd say sure. I think some of the black on the board is more residue than burn.

Comment

^ those are 0 ohm resistors. the usual ECS deal.. notice how the spots for them are labeled "F" for fuse..

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
            ^ those are 0 ohm resistors. the usual ECS deal.. notice how the spots for them are labeled "F" for fuse..
            Yeah I know they are 0ohm....just interesting because you never see too much thru-hole stuff on motherboards (besides some caps).

Oh and how could I have forgotten, fuses..pssshh...they're so overrated

Comment

I think you will find most if not all non-SMD parts on motherboards to use plated through holes...
              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
              -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
              X